cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/23/2021 12:43 pm  #51

Re: Today I Learned....

Limey wrote:

There are still a couple of villages based on the pre-fabricated temporary accommodation of military camps in the UK somewhere I believe. Paging Carruthers!! He'll know!

Nothing springs immediately to mind, I’m afraid.

By strange coincidence a copy of  ‘Legacies of the First World War’ arrived earlier this week which I hoped might help.
It covers archaeological  and architectural remains of practice trench lines, munitions works, government factories, army and PoW camps, airfields and airship stations but no villages based upon former army camps.

The nearest I can get to anything like that is the PoW camp at Sedrup just west of Aylesbury.
It started out as a greyhound racing track and was later used to house Italian, then German, POWs.
Dad remembers quite clearly the Italian prisoners being taken to work on local farms but has no recollection of the Germans being moved in.
This is probably due to his receiving a cunningly worded invitation from HMG to participate in WW2 at about the same time.

The camp was decommissioned shortly after the end of the war and eventually a development of about fifty houses was built on the site. No trace remains of its former role.

5/23/2021 12:57 pm  #52

It is very nice to hear from you, Mr. C!

5/23/2021 1:03 pm  #53

RFN, I just learned that the Magnifier that comes with Windows will read to you.

I'll.  Be.  Dipped.

Last edited by Gravdigr (5/23/2021 1:05 pm)

5/23/2021 1:13 pm  #54

Gravdigr wrote:

It is very nice to hear from you, Mr. C!

Thank you, Mr G. It's good to be here!

I have dropped by from time to time recently but don't want to admit to 'lurking in the Cellar'.
It sounds somewhat unsavoury, doesn't it?

5/23/2021 1:32 pm  #55

Well, it's not like it's a kiddie playground or anything...

5/23/2021 7:56 pm  #56

Not any more, thank goodness.  Welcome back, old chap!  Also, I'm back from southernville.  just.  buncha weirdos down there

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

5/23/2021 10:38 pm  #57

Carruther wrote:

I have dropped by from time to time recently but don't want to admit to 'lurking in the Cellar'.
It sounds somewhat unsavoury, doesn't it?

Gee, you make it sound like a bad thing. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

5/29/2021 12:38 pm  #58

TIL that in Firefox 88, there is no provision for copying the text of a link.

You get the link, too, which is fine if that's what you want.  I had an idea for a thread, but it involves copying text from a site where that text is a link.  Numerous times.  I don't want the link, I want the text.  And you don't need/want a link for every entry in the thread.

There used to be a provision for copying the link text, just the text, not the location.  No more.

That's what I get for having an idea, I guess.

Last edited by Gravdigr (5/29/2021 12:39 pm)

5/31/2021 3:11 pm  #59

TIL why it's called a 'monkey wrench'.

6/26/2021 9:54 am  #60

Police dont care if I use heavy eye shadow, they write tickets for speeding. period.

Queen Bitch ~

6/27/2021 9:50 am  #61

saw that one coming... LOL

Be Just And Fear Not

7/16/2021 5:56 pm  #62

TIL
Cricut (something home crafty scrapbooky people seem to get excited about) is pronounced "cricket" rather than cry-cut.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

7/18/2021 8:55 pm  #63

About the GCS

7/18/2021 8:59 pm  #64

TIL (well, re-learnt) what it's like to have a houseful of company ya don't really want.

Remember the pandemic, and not traveling, and the lockdown?

Man, those were the days.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/18/2021 9:44 pm  #65

sounds hell, sorry

7/18/2021 9:45 pm  #66

.... I want people to keep not touching me :/  I mean WTF is wrong with them?  I'm considering taking up smoking so i can develop a cough to scare them.....

7/19/2021 6:16 am  #67

Negative Visualization-

Unlike the general focus of creative visualization of inducing an imaginary positive psychological and physiologic response, negative visualization focuses on training the practitioner on the negative outcomes of realistic life scenarios in order to desensitize or create psychological fitness in preparation for real-life losses and also to induce feelings of gratitude towards the real things or actual status that the practitioner has.[6][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_visualization#cite_note-:6-7][7][/url] The severeness of negative visualization range from as mild as thinking of a minor inconvenience, e.g. having to abandon a minor pleasure, to as severe as total immersion in an imagined scenario in which the worst fear(s) of the practitioner has (have) really occurred, e.g. the loss of resources, status or life.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_visualization#cite_note-:3-8][8][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_visualization#cite_note-:5-9][9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_visualization

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

7/19/2021 11:44 am  #68

griff wrote:

Negative Visualization-

Unlike the general focus of creative visualization of inducing an imaginary positive psychological and physiologic response, negative visualization focuses on training the practitioner on the negative outcomes of realistic life scenarios in order to desensitize or create psychological fitness in preparation for real-life losses and also to induce feelings of gratitude towards the real things or actual status that the practitioner has.[6][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_visualization#cite_note-:6-7][7][/url] The severeness of negative visualization range from as mild as thinking of a minor inconvenience, e.g. having to abandon a minor pleasure, to as severe as total immersion in an imagined scenario in which the worst fear(s) of the practitioner has (have) really occurred, e.g. the loss of resources, status or life.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_visualization#cite_note-:3-8][8][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_visualization#cite_note-:5-9][9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_visualization

This is a good one. I remember when I was "today years old" about this.

Modern, popular usage of the word "stoic" has really obscured the principles and practices of classical Stoicism.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

7/23/2021 8:38 pm  #69

Brits and Merkins pronounce encephalitis differently

7/23/2021 10:38 pm  #70

you misspelled "aluminum" 

Be Just And Fear Not

7/24/2021 12:10 pm  #71

monster wrote:

Interesting--how do Brits say it? en-seff-AL-it-is?

7/24/2021 12:20 pm  #72

BigV wrote:

you misspelled "aluminum" 

Hah!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/26/2021 4:11 am  #73

Clodfobble wrote:

monster wrote:

no

Last edited by Limey (7/26/2021 4:11 am)

Living life on the edge.

7/26/2021 7:41 pm  #74

Clodfobble wrote:

monster wrote:

en -KEFF..... srsly. they do.   I guess I never watched crap fly-on-the-wall medical documentaries when I was there.....

7/27/2021 5:37 am  #75

monster wrote:

Clodfobble wrote:

monster wrote:

en -KEFF..... srsly. they do.   I guess I never watched crap fly-on-the-wall medical documentaries when I was there.....

And we also know how to spell aluminium.

Board footera