cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/08/2022 7:32 am  #101

Re: Today I Learned....

Folks used to bring their own ballot from their own party newspaper or flyer.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/17/2022 12:26 pm  #102

Today I learned that Bon Scott was not born fully grown in the studio with AC/DC.

He had--

He was--

Here, just watch:

Not the lead singer, he's the other guy without an instrument.

The world done gone wacka-doody, again.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

2/17/2022 12:30 pm  #103

1969, btw.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

2/17/2022 9:07 pm  #104

that was a good year, for sure.

that video gets  a lot of credit.  I mean has a lot of credits.  fun!

Be Just And Fear Not

2/17/2022 10:03 pm  #105

painful

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

2/19/2022 9:52 am  #106

My childhood friend's dad worked at Terrytoons and was an animator for Tom Terrific.

TheNeverWas wrote:

Today I learned that Bon Scott was not born fully grown in the studio with AC/DC.

He had--

He was--

Here, just watch:

Not the lead singer, he's the other guy without an instrument.

The world done gone wacka-doody, again.

2/19/2022 9:13 pm  #107

He's got the hair, the clothes, the moves, might even be able to sing.
He plays the role of Maryann to Ginger, for girls with self esteem issues who feel they don't have a shot at the lead singer.
And his father is bankrolling the band.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/21/2022 4:55 pm  #108

I have a good one.

The voice of the computer on Star Trek: The Next Generation. I googled who that voice was. It's Majel Barrett-Roddenberry. She was married to Gene Roddenberry, creator of Star Trek. She voiced every incarnation of the Enterprise computer system. And you already know who she is-- she played Lwaxana Troi, the mother of counselor Deanna Troi.

Last edited by Flint (2/21/2022 5:42 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

2/21/2022 5:26 pm  #109

Today I learned -------^

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/21/2022 10:14 pm  #110

She was second in command on the Enterprise in the original Star Trek pilot, but executives didn't like her.  (They didn't like Spock either, but he stayed)  She was called "Number One", and Picard calling Riker "Number One" was probably a reference to that.

She also was an emperor's widow on Babylon 5, which I think was a bit of a tip of the hat to Gene in a way.

(Babylon 5 also featured Walter Koenig prominently)

Last edited by Happy Monkey (2/21/2022 10:17 pm)

2/21/2022 11:11 pm  #111

"I am in control of my emotions"

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

2/23/2022 6:45 pm  #112

Happy Monkey wrote:

She was second in command on the Enterprise in the original Star Trek pilot, but executives didn't like her.   

It was not executives.  Star Trek was rejected by all networks mostly because it did  not have a cowboy.  It was cerebral.  But I thought Spock (Nimoy) was the only member of that original pilot that survived.  The second in command was too serious.  In hindsight, maybe that is why I did not recognize her.

In  so many old TV shows (ie Man from UNCLE), I was rather unimpressed by acting done by Nimoy.  Apparently he discovered a character that he could work with.

2/24/2022 12:00 pm  #113

From the Wikipedia summary, NBC didn't want a female second in command, and other networks didn't want her, specifically, either because of her acting chops, her lack of experience, or, especially, because she was Gene Roddenberry's girlfriend.

3/07/2022 1:55 pm  #114

People have vastly different femur lengths. That's why taller people can't squat down (with a safe back position).

>> It's not because of ankle mobility-- it's because they would fall over backwards.

With longer femurs, you can-- 1) take a wider stance, 2) elevate your heels, and/or 3) shift the weight towards the front of your body.

Everything You Need to Know for Perfect Squat Technique & Leg Day in 10 Minutes

Last edited by Flint (3/07/2022 2:45 pm)

3/08/2022 8:03 am  #115

Fascinating.  Different cultures, like India and Asia, squat as a resting position, where the squatter basically rests their weight against the backs of their ankles.  I've never even been close to being able to do this, and I always thought it was because of poor ankle flexibility, but it's because I'm 6'2".

3/08/2022 8:35 am  #116

Flint, does this also apply to (not) being able to find a comfortable cross-legged seated position on the floor?

Living life on the edge.

3/08/2022 1:32 pm  #117

@glatt-- Total game changer. When I watched this video, I grabbed hold of something and squatted down so far I split my pants open. I've always had problems doing heavy barbell squats because all the mechanical stress was on my lower back. And I thought raising your heels was "cheating" to compensate for "poor ankle mobility" because that's what everybody says.

@Limey-- idk but that makes sense. There's also a fair degree of flexibility issues involved with that, I think, because my cross-legged sitting has gotten easier/harder at different times. (same bones)

3/08/2022 4:01 pm  #118

Now I'm a little angry.  
Articles like this one are teaching me that I am to blame because I can't easily squat.  But look at that kid in the article.  His ankle is hardly bent at all.  He's short, and that's why he can squat.

3/08/2022 4:05 pm  #119

I know man, this "ankle mobility" narrative is everywhere.
..It's mind-blowing to realize that it's physically impossible for me to squat down into the position that everybody says I should be able to.

Last edited by Flint (3/08/2022 4:06 pm)

3/08/2022 5:39 pm  #120

OK. In this article, everyone has more flexible ankles than I do.  So maybe my ankle inflexibility is somewhat to blame.

And this study, says whites are the least flexible.  But I question a study that list "mulattos" and "Orientals" as ethnic groups.  Those silly German scientists.

3/08/2022 6:48 pm  #121

Yikes, I don't even want to type those words.

Anyways I actually stretch my calves/feet (for plantar fasciitis) and hamstrings at least a few times every day, so my flexibility should be fine. I also do barbell exercises from the floor 3-5 days a week, so I thought programming in the squats would be no problem. I was really surprised that I can't squat any deeper than I ever have-- that's why I started googling "how to improve squat depth" thinking it would show me some stretches or something.

Thank god I've been following science-based fitness content and now I can get on with my life, squatting ass-to-grass, not killing my back, and not feeling like I'm "cheating" on my form.

Last edited by Flint (3/08/2022 6:49 pm)

3/08/2022 7:26 pm  #122

Flint said "yikes"   !!11!1!1!!1 lol

How tall are you, Flint?  I'm just nosey.

I'm average -for a female- and over-flexible and I can squat no problem  ....but it's hell on my knees because Osgood Schlatter's + old + way2fknflexible

Last edited by monster (3/08/2022 7:27 pm)

3/15/2022 11:16 am  #123

Today I learned that China has locked down Shenzhen, a city of 17.5 million people.
It is their sixth most populous.
I am not sure if I know anything about this city, such as where it is or what it is famous for.
I do know that only four US states (!) have a larger population

3/15/2022 11:45 am  #124

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Today I learned that China has locked down Shenzhen, a city of 17.5 million people.
It is their sixth most populous.
I am not sure if I know anything about this city, such as where it is or what it is famous for.
I do know that only four US states (!) have a larger population

It's just north of Hong Kong and the only reason I know that is that I have just ordered a torch from the curiously named banggood.com which is located there.

I don't know if I should be reassured or worried that the order status a few days ago read:

'Package has been sterilised and shipped out'.

Perhaps I'll leave it in the shed at the bottom of the garden for a few days.

Just to be on the safe side.

3/16/2022 4:56 pm  #125

It'll take a few days to get to you anyway, then wipe the torch with alcohol and give the packaging to your worst enemy.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera