cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2021 11:08 pm  #1

Grandpa's China pics

Been scanning some of my grandfather's pictures from when he went out to China in about 1903. It was just after the Boxer Rebellion, he went to work in the Chinese Postal Service which was actually run by the Brits after they and the other colonial powers sort of divided up what they would do in China. The French got the Custom's Service and postal stuff was big back then so the Brits got that. They hired an Irishman named Robert Hart and even today that is why all the public mail boxes in China are emerald green! 

Chinese Postal worker

roadside scene

river bank scene

Along the  upper Yangsze

French gunboat on patrol

Haulers on the Yangtze, the pulled boats upstream using human labor. 

river boat scene

military band

Dad on horseback at the Forbidden City

My Great grandmother who was Japanese with 2 daughters and a son in law on a picnic

Dad on the Bronze Bull at the Summer Palace in Peiking

1/07/2021 11:11 pm  #2

Re: Grandpa's China pics

Ok, finally got them posted and I did fart rather loudly earlier. More tomorrow.

1/07/2021 11:16 pm  #3

I should explain about the Yangtze picture. My grandfather was transferred from Nanjing to Chengdu in 1906, it is up towards Tibet and he had to take river steamers up the Yangtze River. They could only go so far on their own as currents were strong so local men were hired as haulers and pulled heavy ropes tied to the steamer to pull them up over the rapids. 

We need to have more jobs like this today, we could cut down on unemployment if people could do things like hauling boat upstream. I will write President Biden about this idea.

Last edited by Chrisinhouston (1/07/2021 11:27 pm)

1/08/2021 1:46 am  #4

Shaw? My Grandmother was a Shaw.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/08/2021 12:49 pm  #5

Good pics!  Keep 'em coming.

Board footera