cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/12/2021 11:35 pm  #1

Help me with my homework......

something cool, one word, not abstract.... go

thanks

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/12/2021 11:58 pm  #2

Re: Help me with my homework......

You mean, like, Ice? Cool. Not abstract, very tangible. but maybe more cold than cool.
water
cucumber
beans
customer
rock
shade

Hey! That's me up there!

1/13/2021 7:21 am  #3

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/13/2021 9:50 am  #4

footfootfoot wrote:

You mean, like, Ice? Cool. Not abstract, very tangible. but maybe more cold than cool.
water
cucumber
beans
customer
rock
shade

either   your interpretation. 

thanks.  I will explain, just not 'til after folks have answered or it might stifle the creativity 

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/13/2021 1:38 pm  #5

Refrigerator

I Love my country, I fear the government.

1/13/2021 1:40 pm  #6

L.L. Cool J.

1/13/2021 7:12 pm  #7

Lou Reed

Warren Zevon

1/13/2021 8:59 pm  #8

Bowie

Be Just And Fear Not

1/13/2021 9:01 pm  #9

Evaporation

Be Just And Fear Not

1/13/2021 9:02 pm  #10

501s

Be Just And Fear Not

1/21/2021 11:33 am  #11

I went with a cat.  The challenge was to walk in the shape of something cool -very tempted by the cucumber -might still do that on Saturday with my friend who still needs that Parkrun Bingo Square, but decided to work a little harder than that for the sake of my brain 

2/22/2021 9:05 pm  #12

2/22/2021 9:06 pm  #13

OK next homework help item....

please give me your definition and perhaps examples of "cheesy" and "cringeworthy" TIA

(This is for my advanced ESL learner, so example (probably in a sentence) need to be simple and benign, tx)

Last edited by monster (2/22/2021 9:08 pm)

2/22/2021 9:47 pm  #14

monster wrote:

Kitteh!!!

I Love my country, I fear the government.

2/23/2021 11:11 am  #15

Cheesy = either embarrassingly straightforward, or embarrassingly old-fashioned. Jokes told by parents are cheesy, movies with too much dramatic acting are cheesy.

Cringeworthy = worse than cheesy--cheesy can still be humorously enjoyable, but cringeworthy is unpleasant enough to make you want to avoid it. Usually applies to current things, like mildly rude behavior or inappropriate words (especially from celebrities or in the media,) but can also apply to older media that might otherwise be cheesy except that the political or social ideas are no longer acceptable: gay jokes in a movie from the 1970s would be too cringeworthy to be cheesy.

2/23/2021 11:12 am  #16

Also, I love the cat.

2/23/2021 11:19 am  #17

thanks, that's really helpful, prof fob.  anyone else?  I try to be careful to try and give definitions and examples that are as objective as possible, hence the need for me to canvas on things like this, as both are really subjective type terms.  I know, I overthink but......

2/24/2021 5:10 am  #18

Cheesy = clichéd attempt at affection or cuteness, embarrassing because of being overdone.
Cringeworthy = the above when from an inappropriate source, often in an attempt to win friendship or, more sinisterly, gain intimacy.
Nice cat.

Living life on the edge.

2/24/2021 7:07 am  #19

Nice cat! I think the ladies sorted the definitions.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/24/2021 6:21 pm  #20

ty all    My learner is a high -level reader and some of the words they come across but don't understand (often because they are being used incorrectly or in a context not yet in dictionaries) and bring to session are fun.  This week: decimated.  Hard to tell what the user meant from the limited context provided (I suspect something like dismayed or distraught, maybe even devastated) but my learner got "killing" from the dictionary and was a little concerned   ....so, I gave an impromptu lesson on the origin and common current usage, from Roman Legions through hockey teams to kids' bedrooms   

2/24/2021 7:07 pm  #21

There is still value in "look it up".  But not like my Dad who offered that answer when I asked how to spell a word.  FFS Dad.  I did spend a LOT of time with Daniel Webster's opus.  Ok, Dad did the right thing, though not immediately helpful.

monster, you're doing a great good.  You have my admiration.  I also volunteered at the Goodwill office as a tutor for people who were illiterate--not the same as your gig, but similar.  It was very satisfying, moreso for my .. pupils? tutees?  NO.  I'm not looking it up.  Anyhow, I'm glad to hear these stories from you, keep 'em coming.

Be Just And Fear Not

Board footera