cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/18/2021 12:50 am  #101

Re: RIP, Famous person

also,"Freedom Medal" not freedom metal

I heard today that he said his goal was to generate "confiscatory ad rates"

to paraphrase the great footfootfoot, "It's all about the dollas"

Be Just And Fear Not

2/18/2021 1:00 pm  #102

Limbaugh was indeed sort of listenable early on, but he didn't really have any firm beliefs.
He discovered that Americans like slander and hate more than truth and, more important, that slander and hate made him more famous and richer.
Now there are dozens and dozens like him and we will probably never be free of his influence. 
Good riddance, not RIP.

2/18/2021 1:20 pm  #103

Clodfobble wrote:

... Limbaugh got into a cycle of needing to be more and more outrageously offensive in order to maintain the size and devotion of his audience.

This is what happened to Superman. The writers needed to keep attracting an audience, and that's how, over time, he ended up with eye lasers and ice breath, on top of being invincible, able to fly, the x-ray vision, etc. The 1976 film Network predicted that news would morph into the entertainment division, producing this new headless monster that only craves eyeballs.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

2/28/2021 8:50 pm  #104

Mike Baldwin (Johnny Briggs)

Coronation Street baddie forever (30 years!) 85. old.

Last edited by monster (2/28/2021 8:51 pm)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

3/02/2021 5:53 pm  #105

Bunny Wailer. RIP

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/03/2021 12:02 am  #106

Flint wrote:

Clodfobble wrote:

... Limbaugh got into a cycle of needing to be more and more outrageously offensive in order to maintain the size and devotion of his audience.

This is what happened to Superman. The writers needed to keep attracting an audience, and that's how, over time, he ended up with eye lasers and ice breath, on top of being invincible, able to fly, the x-ray vision, etc. The 1976 film Network predicted that news would morph into the entertainment division, producing this new headless monster that only craves eyeballs.

So, in other words unreasonable.

Hey! That's me up there!

3/03/2021 12:08 am  #107

Well played.

Be Just And Fear Not

3/03/2021 7:32 am  #108

The world needed a nice zombie song.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/04/2021 10:39 pm  #109

His whole catalog is great. There's even a forlorn love song from the pov of a sea monster having disastrous unrequited love for a sailboat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A33u4XMIdW4

Hey! That's me up there!

3/08/2021 9:18 pm  #110

footfootfoot wrote:

His whole catalog is great. There's even a forlorn love song from the pov of a sea monster having disastrous unrequited love for a sailboat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A33u4XMIdW4

His lyrics are deeply poetic.

I found the song very moving.

He's got a regular gig on NPR on a show called "Ask Me Another" hosted by Ophira Eisenberg (aka Her Ripe Begonias) (going from memory here).  He does all the musical wordplay and changeling lyrics to pop melodies in the musical questions.  And flawlessly at that.  Completely worth it.

Be Just And Fear Not

3/10/2021 12:05 pm  #111

Jonathon Coulton is awesome.

3/10/2021 6:00 pm  #112

BigV wrote:

footfootfoot wrote:

His lyrics are deeply poetic.

I found the song very moving.

He's got a regular gig on NPR on a show called "Ask Me Another" hosted by Ophira Eisenberg (aka Her Ripe Begonias) (going from memory here).  He does all the musical wordplay and changeling lyrics to pop melodies in the musical questions.  And flawlessly at that.  Completely worth it.

I will check it out. My sister turned me onto him and I almost didn't bother listening because the link was to a crappy flash animation for his song, Skull Crusher Mountain. I told her as much and she told me to watch it without the picture. So much better.

Hey! That's me up there!

3/13/2021 3:08 pm  #113

Brit F1 commentator Murray Walker has passed the chequered flag at 97

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

3/14/2021 7:00 am  #114

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/13/976907347/marvelous-marvin-hagler-boxing-great-is-dead-at-66

Marvelous Marvin Hagler dead a 66. He was such a fighter. COD not given. Peace.

5/27/2021 8:25 pm  #115

Golden Brown
Dave Greenfield, Keyboardist of The Stranglers who, notably, gave us the music for Golden Brown. Got et up by The covid.

Well, that is a whole big fat pile of domage.

A mariachi version, why the hell not?

Last edited by footfootfoot (5/27/2021 8:26 pm)

Hey! That's me up there!

5/27/2021 8:27 pm  #116

I'm a year late. never mind, still sucks though

Hey! That's me up there!

5/28/2021 6:17 am  #117

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/26/970974320/eric-carle-creator-of-the-very-hungry-caterpillar-has-died

Eric Carle had a good long life. I use his work daily for my work.

5/28/2021 7:48 am  #118

The world is a better place because Eric Carle was in it.

6/23/2021 5:07 pm  #119

John McAfee of virus software fame.    Suicide in prison

6/24/2021 6:01 am  #120

"Kid, we don't want any hangings." I said, "Obie, did you think I was going to hang myself for littering?"

I'm gonna guess the internet is alive with conspiracy theories this morning.

6/24/2021 8:56 am  #121

Maybe he caught a virus?

6/24/2021 11:06 am  #122

griff wrote:

"Kid, we don't want any hangings." I said, "Obie, did you think I was going to hang myself for littering?"

I'm gonna guess the internet is alive with conspiracy theories this morning.

Just like any other day.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

6/24/2021 1:09 pm  #123

Undertoad wrote:

Google Translate autodetects "quelle dommage" as French   ~ I'm just trying to help ~

WARNING:

This is not the same as quelle fromage.

Weaponized Funk

6/24/2021 6:21 pm  #124

But we do need to quell the fromage, otherwise the Wisconsinites will rise up and we'll all b edam ned

6/24/2021 8:29 pm  #125

footfootfoot wrote:

Golden Brown
Dave Greenfield, Keyboardist of The Stranglers who, notably, gave us the music for Golden Brown. Got et up by The covid.

Well, that is a whole big fat pile of domage.

A mariachi version, why the hell not?

I'll see your Mariachis and raise you Dave Brubeck.

eta: speling

Last edited by BigV (6/24/2021 8:30 pm)

Be Just And Fear Not

Board footera