cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/21/2022 7:53 pm  #201

Re: RIP, Famous person

lol twice

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

1/21/2022 8:52 pm  #202

monster wrote:

Flint wrote:

good run for a fat comedian

68 yards or feet?

I imagine fat comedians rarely get to 69...

Most hilarious. Teh funny are you!

Hey! That's me up there!

1/24/2022 11:56 am  #203

monster wrote:

I imagine fat comedians rarely get to 69......

This reminds me of Sam Kinison  talking about the possibility of Louie and Roseanne having something going:

"Louie, and Roseanne, yeah, like there's a bed that'll hold that action..."

Hmm, if not for Roseanne that woulda been an all-dead comment.  Well, there is her career, so...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

1/24/2022 5:09 pm  #204

Don Wilson

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/24/2022 10:33 pm  #205

That is the soundtrack of my childhood. And Don Wilson played a big part in it.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

1/25/2022 8:43 am  #206

Bummer.

Hey! That's me up there!

1/25/2022 10:08 am  #207

fargon wrote:

That is the soundtrack of my childhood. And Don Wilson played a big part in it.

That's how I felt when Malcolm Young died.  He played rhythm  guitar for the soundtrack of the formative years of my life.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

1/25/2022 6:33 pm  #208

This is what i read (due to the visual field cut I have and being tired......)

TheNeverWas wrote:

That's how Malcolm Young died.  He played rhythm  guitar for the soundtrack of the formative years of my life.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/25/2022 7:48 pm  #209

TheNeverWas wrote:

He played rhythm  guitar for the soundtrack of the formative years of my life. 

Never really understood this.  I understand what a lead guitar and bass guitar does.  But how does a rhythm guitar fit in the band?  What does he play that is unique from the other two?

1/25/2022 9:12 pm  #210

tw wrote:

TheNeverWas wrote:

Never really understood this.  I understand what a lead guitar and bass guitar does.  But how does a rhythm guitar fit in the band?  What does he play that is unique from the other two?

This is how I understand it:  consider a traditional household.  If the lead guitar is the kid(s) and the bass is papa, the rhythm guitar is mom keeping all the shit together and generally underafuckinpreciated... but I could be wrong

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/26/2022 7:27 am  #211

Monster's MOM Rules Cheat Sheet:

1.) Mom is always right.
2.) If Mom is wrong, refer to rule 1.

Hey! That's me up there!

1/26/2022 8:08 pm  #212

tw wrote:

TheNeverWas wrote:

Rhythm guitar is functionally grouped with the 'rhythm section' of bass and drums. It expands on the punctuation of the drum/bass pattern with another structural element that's also slightly more melodically intricate, bridging the gap between the the lower-pitched percussive sounds and the sustained melody/harmony notes of lead guitars/vocals. It generally does structured chord strumming or some kind of repetitive staccato pattern. It can be easy to overlook the rhythm guitar part, if it is doing a good job of blending into the background structure of the song and not calling attention to itself.

That's what "rhythm guitar" means to me. As a drummer, I really tune into the rhythm guitar part to define the "character" of the song, how to approach the material, how much or how little drumming is needed.

Last edited by Flint (1/26/2022 8:12 pm)

1/26/2022 8:16 pm  #213

Flint wrote:

It can be easy to overlook the rhythm guitar part, if it is doing a good job of blending into the background structure of the song and not calling attention to itself. 

So maybe I did not hear Lennon's part?  Curious.  I must listen for it on better fidelity audio.

I had always thought  'interplay' was between drums and bass guitar.

There is subperb work by bass guitars that can be overlooked by lesser audio systems.

Last edited by tw (1/26/2022 8:18 pm)

1/26/2022 8:19 pm  #214

"Rhythm Guitar" can also be a position in a band, a job title.
In some instances I think "Lead Guitar" is almost like saying that guitarist has "top billing"

1/26/2022 8:22 pm  #215

tw wrote:

There is subperb work by bass guitars that can be overlooked by lesser audio systems.

Rhythm guitar parts get it even worse-- they're in the subtle details of the mid-range, exactly the area where many consumer-grade stereo systems smear the signal out into indistinct mush.

1/26/2022 9:34 pm  #216

The Ventures, awesome!
Best selling instrumental band in history.
Had eight albums in the top 100 at the same time.
Walk, Don't Run. Hawaii 5-0. So much awesome.

Be Just And Fear Not

1/27/2022 9:28 am  #217

I've always thought of the rhythm guitar as the Keeper of the Key.  The 'key' being the key the song is played in.

I also think of it as the mind of the song, bass being the body.

1/27/2022 5:23 pm  #218

One for the dwindling band of Brit Dwellars.
Comedy writer, comedian and game show panellist, Barry Cryer.
He told his last joke a couple of weeks before his death in a phone chat with a friend.

A man and his wife are out walking one day when they spot a lone fellow on the other side of the road.

“That looks like the Archbishop of Canterbury over there,” says the woman. “Go and see if it is.”

The husband crosses the road and asks the man if he is indeed the Archbishop of Canterbury.

“F— off,” says the man.

The husband crosses back to his wife, who asks, “What did he say? Is he the Archbishop of Canterbury?”

“He told me to f— off,” says the husband.

“Oh no,” replies the wife, “Now we’ll never know.”

1/27/2022 6:34 pm  #219

I know he was a comedic genius and I have enjoyed and laughed at many things he's written, but for some unknown reason he always creeped me out.  

(No I'm not glad he'd dead, (unless he wanted to be), just being honest.  Bernard Cribbins does too.  I don't think it's the accent or the hair but....I just don't know.....)

1/27/2022 8:31 pm  #220

TheNeverWas wrote:

I've always thought of the rhythm guitar as the Keeper of the Key.  

So why did Lennon always detune his E string?

1/27/2022 9:23 pm  #221

tw wrote:

TheNeverWas wrote:

Maybe he played in lower case.

Be Just And Fear Not

1/27/2022 11:18 pm  #222

tw wrote:

TheNeverWas wrote:

prolly dissed him.  

1/28/2022 11:05 am  #223

So he was killed because he was not a good  Keeper of the Key?

1/29/2022 7:31 am  #224

No, he was killed because Mark David Chapman was/is bat-shit-insane.

1/30/2022 8:37 pm  #225

I Love my country, I fear the government.

Board footera