cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2021 3:03 pm  #1

I bawt a Tesla

(original site thread resurrection)

"In the 3rd quarter, we registered one accident for every 4.59 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.42 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.79 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA's most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 479,000 miles."

"In the 4th quarter, we registered one accident for every 3.45 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.05 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.27 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 484,000 miles."

1/14/2021 3:48 pm  #2

Re: I bawt a Tesla

Living life on the edge.

1/14/2021 8:54 pm  #3

1 -- I'm happy to see the graft onto the new rootstock.  I enthusiastically hope it thrives.

2 -- I think there's some shenanigans in the "statistics" cited in the OP.  The number of human piloted miles and accidents and what level of impact constitutes an accident, etc etc.... deserves further examination.

3 -- we have a *lot* of Teslas around here.  I'm interested.

Be Just And Fear Not

1/16/2021 3:42 pm  #4

1/17/2021 7:11 pm  #5

would you really honk at a cat?  and why would a cat, famously aloof, pay attention to your farting sound when on the hunt for a tasty birdie?

But!

that's still cool.

Be Just And Fear Not

2/19/2021 10:21 am  #6

Don't smoke at gas pumps and don't...
https://i.postimg.cc/MGjwdTBW/Can-you-say-electrocution.jpg

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/19/2021 12:25 pm  #7

That's funny!

2/19/2021 1:45 pm  #8

Poor grading and paving.

I Love my country, I fear the government.
Life is good

2/20/2021 12:32 pm  #9

Do people drive their 'lectric cars through water?  Does it throw a breaker or something?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

2/20/2021 1:00 pm  #10

I wouldn't do it, but the battery is sealed so it's supposed to be ok.

I think a few early Model 3s lost bumpers going through high water. That's the downside of getting the first model year...

2/20/2021 1:09 pm  #11

That's the downside of going through high water.

Be Just And Fear Not

2/20/2021 1:14 pm  #12

Infrastructure baby!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fkOp2Ikl5aSGGImRYW0YHXBGwbNOQAuQnHWTQT_1TnChlmeZul1zFdgL7LLhzv_iI2xLh7szz_jn5r06PiPpoNrJhDxIQ60gmf-Zyswbfdml8YqjdQG40PyUunkPfQgNZ1lpj2PvLRAUIDWMv4GGuIkA=w930-h697-no?authuser=0

This is waaaay out in the country (47.685575,-120.2067722) at a Shell station, which is appropriate, along an state highway alternate route adjacent to the Mighty Columbia.

This was not the only one we saw on the trip, just a picturesque one.  And yes, I thought of you, UT.  Enjoy!  Better yet, come on out and get supercharged.  This is wine country, I'll buy.

Be Just And Fear Not

2/20/2021 2:25 pm  #13

abetterrouteplanner.com says the 2747 mile trip can be done in about 46 hours, including about 7 hours of charging time at 21 stations.

2/20/2021 2:31 pm  #14

Gravdigr wrote:

Do people drive their 'lectric cars through water?  Does it throw a breaker or something?

Should be fine.

2/21/2021 11:14 pm  #15

When it floats there's no traction so you need knobby tires or flipper hubcaps for propulsion.
The cars are cool with water, the chargers I don't know, if people handle them like they do gas pumps, don't get near them.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/22/2021 12:33 pm  #16

This is a good place to make travelling in a Tesla real for us,
Model S specs say 402 miles on a full charge,  That's more like 7 or 8 stops instead of 21.
Seven hours at 21 "gas" stations?  Isn't that about 25 minutes each? 

2/22/2021 4:06 pm  #17

Right - the range starts at 402 miles, but in practice:

-- Like a gas tank, you don't let it get too low unless you know everything. Aim to keep 10% remaining charge just in case.

-- Unlike a gas tank, it takes more time to charge a battery that is nearly full. Going from 80% to 100% takes almost as long as going from 10% to 80%.

abetterrouteplanner.com is a navigation site for electric cars. It takes all this battery math into account, and aims for the shortest overall drive, not the drive with the fewest charges. On the actual trip, there would be longer stops, where you would have a meal and let it charge to 100%. That would change the math, so there might only be 15 charges, but the overall charging time would be longer.

Here's the trip that abetterrouteplanner came up with... you can see, it aims for 10% remaining at each charge so the charge part is faster, but it doesn't always charge to even 80%

http://cellar.org/img/playtrip.jpg

Total cost of fuel is about $127 for the trip

I do believe that, at this point, if you want to -- you can pretty much take off and ask the car to navigate to the nearest supercharger when you're below 20%.

When I bought the car, I thought, if I need a gas car for a long trip, I can rent one from Enterprise; there's an Enterprise location within walking distance of my house. After taking the car to northern New Hampshire, I now say, I would ONLY take these long drives in the Tesla. Autopilot is very worthwhile on long highway stretches.

Last edited by Undertoad (2/22/2021 4:06 pm)

2/22/2021 4:13 pm  #18

I should note that the above is in my car which does not have a 402 mile range.

In theory the range is 322

The battery degrades over time so the range lessens

For some reason, the website figures my range is about 270, so maybe it is using worst-case scenario, I dunno! 

2/22/2021 6:15 pm  #19

Still waiting for that Tesla Tacoma...

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/23/2021 12:26 pm  #20

With carbon neutrality in mind, what percentage of the 'fuel" along the way would be provided by wind, solar and hydro vs. coal and gas?
(Nuclear is another discussion.)
I think I could afford a Tesla (or an alternative) if I needed a new vehicle.  I don't think it would meet my needs for fuel or finding my way.

2/23/2021 1:48 pm  #21

Electric cars are charged using whatever the grid produces, wherever it's plugged in. If you have a solar roof, you can use that to charge it, otherwise you are just on the grid.

I did the math when considering it, and I looked at all the trips I took in the previous three years. I figured out I could recharge from my daily commute using a standard 120v outlet, and that my weekend mileage was generally less than the commute. Mama is 90 miles away, which might have been iffy in case I wasn't fully charged when departing, but her location has two local superchargers.

For me, the amount spent in electricity to fuel the car is roughly 60% of what I would be spending on gas, not including internal combustion maintenance.

2/23/2021 3:37 pm  #22

I wonder if electric vehicle users who traveled through Texas last week might receive $5000 bills for charging instead of $50.
PG and E (north), San Diego and Edison (south) blacked out huge areas of California for days to avoid legal liability for fires.
Would those have been bad times to live or drive through in a Tesla?

Last edited by Diaphone Jim (2/23/2021 3:37 pm)

2/23/2021 4:01 pm  #23

There's one price for supercharging... for me it's zero through June because I bought during a promotion :D

Apparent map of the TX supercharger outages:

http://cellar.org/img/txoutagemap.jpg

So Dallas - Houston route was out, but other than that, most people could have gotten it done

Last edited by Undertoad (2/23/2021 4:02 pm)

2/23/2021 4:41 pm  #24

Supercharging causes lithium batteries to degrade faster.  Better is to let it charge while having lunch. Or coffee if on a drug diet.

2/23/2021 5:14 pm  #25

This is true, and also, they say the best approach for battery life is to not regularly let it go to 100% or 0%. For everyday use they suggest 90% max charge. I go with 80% and then charge more ahead of heavy driving days.

Board footera