cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2021 7:59 pm  #1

Ten More Years!

until I have to go for another colonoscopy.  For once in my life some routine medical test didn't come back with anything I need to deal with.  About fucking time. I am celebrating by doing all the things the destructions said not to except driving, operating machinery and making important decisions 

Last edited by monster (1/18/2021 8:00 pm)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/18/2021 8:12 pm  #2

Re: Ten More Years!

Yay!!! Monster.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

1/18/2021 8:44 pm  #3

Good for you.  I need to get that done myself...

1/18/2021 8:52 pm  #4

honestly if it wasn't for beest dying of colon cancer before he was even old enough to be routinely scoped, I wouldn't have done it.  I'd have put it off forever like most people apparently do.  But I owed it to our kids not to, and I knew if I put it off even once after the doc said it was time, it would open the door to putting it off forever.  In addition to the "I'm the only parent left" argument, I went with the "beest's was not genetic so that just leaves the environment we shared for 30 years" argument to make myself do it.  And you know what?  piece of piss.  Piss out of your ass... but....   (cracking myself up, blaming the sedative ;) ) -that said, happy I don't have to do it again for a long while :D

Last edited by monster (1/19/2021 12:33 pm)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/19/2021 3:24 am  #5

I agree, it's not nearly as bad as all the comedians make it up to be. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/19/2021 7:08 am  #6

Yeah, not a big fan of the twilight assault, but it's good you did it.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/19/2021 8:27 am  #7

I get a colonoscopy every 2 years. Because colon cancer runs in my family. I'm always awake for the procedure. The last time Mayo Clinic used a new inflation gas on me and I spent the whole time farting on the Doctor, and laughing the nurse kept shushing me and i just kept farting. The first one at Gunderson clinic was pleasant I laid there and talked to the Doctor and Nurse about what was happening on the screen, it was a pleasant experience. Mayo on the other hand was a horrible experience all around.

1/19/2021 10:17 am  #8

I had a college professor who insisted on always being awake and completely un-anesthetized for the procedure. Seems crazy to me. (I, too, have to get them every few years, as colon cancer very much runs on one side of my family--grandmother, uncle, and cousin all had it, with the cousin being only 37 at diagnosis.)

1/19/2021 12:31 pm  #9

yeah our poor kids have to start getting them regularly at 34, just in case...... 

1/19/2021 12:37 pm  #10

I can barely hold still to get my hair cut or teeth checked.  i hate people messing with me, so there was never any way I would have opted to stay awake.  I tried once for an endoscopy because I was breast-feeding at the time, so didn't want all the drugs, but it took about 3 seconds for them to decide they needed me much less conscious.  Some probably decide that about me without even needing to perform a procedure ;)

1/19/2021 5:54 pm  #11

fargon wrote:

... I spent the whole time farting on the Doctor, and laughing the nurse kept shushing me and i just kept farting.

Would more gases be funnier - if you were on an autopsy table?  A least the nurse would not be shushing you.

1/19/2021 7:03 pm  #12

tw wrote:

fargon wrote:

... I spent the whole time farting on the Doctor, and laughing the nurse kept shushing me and i just kept farting.

Would more gases be funnier - if you were on an autopsy table?  A least the nurse would not be shushing you.

keep practicing man, you'll get it one day

Be Just And Fear Not

1/19/2021 7:44 pm  #13

I told my VA provider to never send me back to Mayo ever again. That place sucks.

1/19/2021 7:55 pm  #14

Dear Mods,

I'm kind of wondering if this would not be better off in the Health forum in case there are others feeling apprehensive AF about the buttscope (like I was) -I have no problem with it moving or staying, but if it is moved, perhaps add "(colonoscopy isn't so bad)" or something like that to the title? 

thanks, I'm cool with whatever. 

I was originally just wanting to share my joy at being ok and not wanting to make a big health issue out of it, but I am realizing more and more how many people shy away when it is offered/suggested.  Colon Cancer is not pretty.  Trust me.  Do it.  it's ok.  

Last edited by monster (1/19/2021 9:20 pm)

1/19/2021 9:20 pm  #15

that is funny.

1/19/2021 10:05 pm  #16

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

I agree, it's not nearly as bad as all the comedians make it up to be. 

It wasn't the comedians' material that was bothering me, it was the real people.  

The Gatorade/Miralax prep that people apparently find so hard to complete and recommend chilling (I hate cold drinks) and drinking through straws (ditto), made me really concerned that I'd barf copiously (as I almost did with the pregnancy diabetes test which is only a small quantity of gatorade-like liquid), or -because I'm so fussy about food and tastes- it would be even harder for me....  but the miralax didn't make the gatorade taste any worse imo, and chugging an 8oz glass of anything isn't even a challenge for me. It was a doddle, so I barely tasted it at all.  And all that stuff about staying within inches of the toilet and wearing elasticated pants for quick reactions... I was expecting hideous anal explosions.  Bollocks!  Those people must have phucked up sfincters.  Or I have a superbunghole. Could be...  I was able to be in the next room sewing a new facemask for myself to replace the first one that I had inconveniently lost on Friday, and quickly changed back into my jeans because sweat pants are just nasty and don't have enough pockets (of course my sweatpants are men's -otherwise they'd have no pockets at all... 

I was prescribed the diabetic alternative prep because of the previous barfing experience for the old woman preggers test, but it turns out medicaid wasn't having it (perhaps because I'm not diabetic?) and the pharmacy wanted over a week's worth of my unemployment check and reports are that tastes gross too so....

The procedure itself was probably the most unpleasant for me (well the waiting for it, being prepped, and being taken in...) for reasons previously explained, plus so many hours of my life when I could have been doing more fun things......  but I told them I didn't want to know anything about it and they complied ...bless their little anti-slip-not-cotton socks.  My notes read that I tolerated it ok but became uncomfortable and distressed at one point so they upped the drugs and all was well.  I don't remember that, so they did their job brilliantly.  (I did overhear them telling another patient one of the drugs was to induce amnesia.  Generally, I hate being drugged, but I'm cool with that)

if you have been told it's advisable, do it.  I understand that in the US, it's mostly covered by most insurances because it's "preventative"/routine health.  I know that colon cancer is nasty and fatal.  Suck it up, Butt-ercup ;)

Board footera