cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/24/2021 10:52 am  #1

January 24th 2021: Not Chocolate Chip Cookies

Stromatolites.

Photo MaXPdia/Getty Images via BBC

Described as the oldest living lifeforms on Earth, Stromatolites are "stony structures built by colonies of microscopic photosynthesizing organisms called cyanobacteria".  Living examples are found in western Australia -among other places- but fossilized examples are quite widespread.  this photo by James Kocher was taken in the Hoyt limestone at Saratoga Springs, New York.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/25/2021 10:29 pm  #2

Re: January 24th 2021: Not Chocolate Chip Cookies

to think how many bare foot prints it took to wear down what we see in the top picture to what we see in the bottom picture.... 

Be Just And Fear Not

1/26/2021 7:18 am  #3

Apparently, it was glacially planed. I don't have the patience for glacial planing.

Last edited by griff (1/26/2021 7:19 am)

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/26/2021 10:26 am  #4

Been there. Walked on that.

Hey! That's me up there!

1/26/2021 4:40 pm  #5

griff wrote:

Apparently, it was glacially planed. I don't have the patience for glacial planing. 

::snort::

footfootfoot wrote:

Been there. Walked on that.

walkwalkwalked?

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

Board footera