cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/27/2021 10:50 pm  #1

"She's the cat's mother"

Have you ever heard this phrase?  What does it mean to you?

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/27/2021 10:54 pm  #2

Re: "She's the cat's mother"

Narp.

Be Just And Fear Not

1/27/2021 11:12 pm  #3

Nope. The closest I've heard is "the cat's meow."

1/28/2021 12:46 am  #4

Nope, not at all.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/28/2021 6:59 am  #5

I Love my country, I fear the government.

1/28/2021 8:26 am  #6

Please don't click on Fargon's link until you have answered  

Fargon, thanks, yes, that is the one, but I didn't want to bias people's answers

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/28/2021 11:05 am  #7

nope. The closest I've heard is "the cat's meow."

1/29/2021 12:04 am  #8

My dad's family used to say that all the time if you spoke about someone, in front of them and used "she" instead of their name.

"Well, she can stay here with you while I go to the store." The person being spoken about would ask "And who is 'she' the cat's mother?"

CF "What am I, chopped liver?"

Hey! That's me up there!

1/29/2021 12:33 am  #9

That is so interesting, f3, I was sure it must be only British and even then not everyone.  i think I heard that phrase more growing up than any other, I'm still terrified to use the word "she" in case the person I'm referring to can hear me 

1/29/2021 3:34 am  #10

I knew it rang a bell 🛎. I agree with footfootfooot.
There doesn’t seem to be an equivalent for “he”, though, does there?

Living life on the edge.

1/29/2021 8:38 am  #11

Limey wrote:

I knew it rang a bell 🛎. I agree with footfootfooot.
There doesn’t seem to be an equivalent for “he”, though, does there?

Nope.  Perhaps because it was obviously rude to refer to a man in that way.......or because a man would naturally be actively involved in whatever was being discussed and so be automatically named....

It was usually said by someone else, not the "she" in question, though.  To draw attention to the fact that you had been offended would also have been rude...... 

If anyone ever refers to someone as "she" when that person is in the room, this phrase pops into my mind, even 40ish years on.  

1/29/2021 9:00 am  #12

My dad's parents were both Irish though his father's side came over during the great hunger, his mother's side was more recent. My mother's parents were Scottish and English and came here after WW I. The British influence was much heavier from my mom, e.g., I grew up reading Punch magazine and didn't realize that it wasn't in everyone's house. My dad was readier with funny or obscure turns of phrase that, again, I didn't realize weren't common place. I'll try to think of some, they are escaping me right now.

Hey! That's me up there!

Board footera