cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/23/2021 6:16 pm  #1

so.. Thor was black

More accurately, bi-racial. According to the main text of Norse Mythology, the Prose Edda. In a euhemerism* of Thor's origins, he was stated to be the grandson of the Priam, the ruler of Troy/Ilium from Homer's epic the Iliad. Interestingly, the events of the Iliad came to be regarded as legend, until in the 20th century when the actual location was found. Thor's father was said to be Memnon, an Ethiopian king who brought an army to the defense of Troy. Actually he was from Aethiopia, which may have just meant Sub-Saharan Africa.

I find it strangely absent from cultural references that Thor was canonically bi-racial. His mother was from the Turkish side of the Agean Sea, and his father was from sub-Saharan Africa. Again, this is straight from the source document of Norse Mythology compiled in the 13th century.

*Euhemerism (/juːˈhiːmərɪzəm, -hɛm-/) is an approach to the interpretation of mythology in which mythological accounts are presumed to have originated from real historical events or personages

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

2/23/2021 8:06 pm  #2

Re: so.. Thor was black

Yeah, I made him go take a shower -he'd been deep cleaning the rotisserie fryer at work.  I think the pants will have to go in the trash

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

2/27/2021 1:58 pm  #3

I was thinking Thor should be the same color as Monster and Beest...

2/27/2021 3:20 pm  #4

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

3/01/2021 9:46 pm  #5

The key word is Mythology.
noun 
a collection of myths, especially one belonging to a particular religious or cultural tradition. 

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (3/01/2021 9:47 pm)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

3/02/2021 12:06 am  #6

Thor doesn't myth a thing.  Especially when driving.  My insurance company dumped me because of all the cars he didn't myth last year....

Board footera