cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2021 4:43 pm  #26

Re: Where is:

henry_quirk wrote:

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Limey wrote:

Not done by moderators.

So there is a magic button that any Cellarite can push to erase all past posts and other activity?

I think when a member deletes his account all his posts go too.

Yes. Same thing happened with Sarge.

Living life on the edge.

3/04/2021 5:41 pm  #27

That's one bullshit feature with this platform.  It's the ultimate taking your ball and going home.  Kinda selfish and cowardly.

I don't post so much here because I'm busy as hell. And I have nothing I find interesting to say these days.

Wanna hear about the trademark proposed identification of goods and services chart I spent most of the day making today?

3/04/2021 7:22 pm  #28

Yeah, I find once the busy-ness backs up enough, it takes too much effort to mention anything because of all the backstory that's needed. That's not a good excuse, though. Here's a quick rundown of stuff I don't think I've mentioned:

--I bought out an exiting partner in my kids' favorite summer camp in order to keep the whole thing from going under (it's a fully profitable business, but the pandemic torpedoed attendance last summer so they didn't have enough on hand to pay the portion he was reasonably entitled to.) I'm a co-owner of a small business!
--I got an award for an article I wrote for DamnInteresting, which caught eyes in high places and might (might) get adapted for television.
--I badly injured my back due to a year's worth of gym-less atrophy, and had to go full xray-steroid-physical therapy on it. It's almost all better now.
--We got a third dog.

3/04/2021 7:45 pm  #29

three dogs?   

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

3/04/2021 8:02 pm  #30

I know, right?

I mean, I know it got cold in Texas, but to get a third dog seems like a knee jerk reaction to me.  C'mon, now...How many three dog nights ya gonna get in Texas?

3/04/2021 8:10 pm  #31

are you gonna name the dog Jeremiah?

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

3/04/2021 8:39 pm  #32

Nah, man, Jeremiah wasn't a dog.

♪ ♫Jeremiah was a bullfrog!!!♪ ♫

3/04/2021 9:04 pm  #33

glatt wrote:

That's one bullshit feature with this platform.  It's the ultimate taking your ball and going home.  Kinda selfish and cowardly.

I don't post so much here because I'm busy as hell. And I have nothing I find interesting to say these days.

Wanna hear about the trademark proposed identification of goods and services chart I spent most of the day making today?

Nah. It's bold.

Look here, this is the message you see...

Delete My Account

You have the option of removing your account from this forum. Your profile, private messages and all other information will be erased.

It's unambiguous: if you delete your account, you delete your whole investment. Most folks won't do that, can't do that.

3/04/2021 10:33 pm  #34

Beestie wrote:

I have often tried to put my finger on it but it's elusive... But it broke down around 2013 or so.

2013???
Thanks Obama.

Hey! That's me up there!

3/04/2021 11:20 pm  #35

Beestie wrote:

But something changed and I have often tried to put my finger on it but it's elusive.

My European friends have been saying this for a long time.  In fact, I was with some when Nazis, KKK, and White Supremacists were rampaging in Virginia.  When Heather Heyer was murdered by an extremist. He was quite blunt about it then.  What has been happening to America?  It was only his latest example of increasing estrangement from reality that they had noted most of this century.

They see it happening.  But they do not see why.  Airwaves in some regions are loaded with hate and Alex Jones style disinformation.  They don't see that.  They only see what has transpired as a result.  Especially so many who are divorced from reality.

Second, so many now note that coming to America is like coming to some third world nation.  So much infrastructure is now in disarray.  Again, they do not see why.  Things such as tax cuts for the rich have meant so much of America is so badly harmed at its core that even paint cannot hide it.

America cannot even build a desperately needed train tunnel underneath the Hudson River.  And thinks nothing about poisoning the water for the entire city of Flint.  But has no problem cutting taxes to corporations that we once paying less than 20%.  (GE paid nothing.)

They see results of what America was doing 20 years ago.  Even most all cars built in America are now built for and by companies from foreign nations.  As a result, people are angry and ignorant.  Europeans, et al have been observing this change maybe because they are not constantly here.  And slowly becoming used to the decay in both social responsibility and disinformation.

Cellar reflects what they saw for the past 20 years.

Last edited by tw (3/04/2021 11:27 pm)

3/05/2021 7:20 am  #36

Clodfobble wrote:

Yeah, I find once the busy-ness backs up enough, it takes too much effort to mention anything because of all the backstory that's needed. That's not a good excuse, though. Here's a quick rundown of stuff I don't think I've mentioned:

--I bought out an exiting partner in my kids' favorite summer camp in order to keep the whole thing from going under (it's a fully profitable business, but the pandemic torpedoed attendance last summer so they didn't have enough on hand to pay the portion he was reasonably entitled to.) I'm a co-owner of a small business!
--I got an award for an article I wrote for DamnInteresting, which caught eyes in high places and might (might) get adapted for television.
--I badly injured my back due to a year's worth of gym-less atrophy, and had to go full xray-steroid-physical therapy on it. It's almost all better now.
--We got a third dog.

You have been busy! I hope your back comes the rest of the way around.

We may be adopting another dog because a Covid pup was not what a family needed.

There were times when the cellar was too busy to follow and summers where it was pretty much moth-balled.

All existence is impermanent, Pennsylvania roads and Texas power systems come to mind, pay your taxes.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/05/2021 9:25 am  #37

Undertoad wrote:

A quiet peaceful forum is a dead forum.

I see what you meant about missing subtle humor when you used to request no jokes during moderator nomination.

That said, yes you have a point, but it is not necessary to open a vein with a rusty nail to check you are alive.  Noboxes was getting uncharacteristically unpleasant which is why I stopped reading his posts altogether (and hence didn't notice his evaporation).  I hope this complete break means he decided that was a healthy move for him, I doubt very much it was for our benefit (or to punish us).  He knows how to come back if he chooses to.  It's not like noboxes was his first cellar ID.   Actually, do we know if he speaks Russian?

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

3/05/2021 1:58 pm  #38

I made a good effort with Big Sarge. He shared things from his perspective, I shared things from my perspective, and neither of us shot the other one down. His beliefs were nearly the opposite of mine, but both of us understood this was the result of different environments and experiences.

Big Sarge reached out to me because another member was really going after him. The person, I reminded him, was known for being an overly-excitable oddball, and that he shouldn't take it personally-- most of us just kind of ignore/deal with the wacky personalities. And after all, what could I do? What could anyone do? It's a message board--this is what happens. This is exactly what was happening in the great golden age of the Cellar that we're all pining for.

But, unfortunately, it's 2020. Things are different now. Conservatives have been told over and over that they are "the victims" in society, It's impossible for them to talk to anyone who has different opinions-- not the other way around. The problem isn't "Cancel Culture"--it's crybaby culture. Conservative opinions aren't in the minority because of some great, cosmic conspiracy-- ideas that most people think are bad ideas will be unpopular. It has ALWAYS been like that.

Last edited by Flint (3/05/2021 2:10 pm)

3/05/2021 4:06 pm  #39

"Noboxes was getting uncharacteristically unpleasant..."
I started paying closer attention to him after being blindsided by one of his gratuitous personal attacks several years ago.
I can't remember finding much pleasantness.

3/05/2021 8:07 pm  #40

Flint wrote:

It's impossible for them to talk to anyone who has different opinions-- not the other way around.

Do you mean they cannot tell someone something?  Or they cannot hear what someone else says? (Or both?)  I don't grasp the point.

Flint wrote:

The problem isn't "Cancel Culture"--it's crybaby culture.  

What is a crybaby culture?  Is what follows suppose to explain that concept?  If so, again I don't grasp the point.

3/05/2021 9:21 pm  #41

tw wrote:

Flint wrote:

It's impossible for them to talk to anyone who has different opinions-- not the other way around.

Do you mean they cannot tell someone something?  Or they cannot hear what someone else says? (Or both?)  I don't grasp the point.

Flint wrote:

The problem isn't "Cancel Culture"--it's crybaby culture.  

What is a crybaby culture?  Is what follows suppose to explain that concept?  If so, again I don't grasp the point.

I mean that Conservatives are pushing the narrative that free speech is under attack, because--they say-- liberals will only tolerate certain prescribed opinions, liberals will retaliate against people for simply disagreeing about something, and because there is an over-arching superstructure in our culture that pushes down the approved list of opinions (as opposed to new ideas occurring naturally in normal people).

Because of this--they say-- it's unfair that people disagree with them, they're being attacked when people voice a disagreement. Because of this--they say-- there is no venue for them to speak, they are outcasts of society. And because of this they choose not to participate in the marketplace of ideas. They choose to rage-quit a message board because they're not getting enough positive feedback. In fact, they want a participation trophy for repeating their dumb opinions that they heard on TV-- on the highest rated cable news network, in countless editorials in the most reputable newspapers, in a never-ending stream of best-selling books!

In fact, "I'm being silenced" is a marketing campaign for low-talent hacks and know-nothing politicians. And the poor suckers who've bought that pitch --hook, line, and sinker-- are throwing temper tantrums on the floor, crying about how mean and unfair the world is treating them. That's what I mean by crybaby culture. The bullies and strong-arms of the world are mad because they're not winning a popularity contest. So they are giving up on free speech-- not the other way around, as they claim.

Last edited by Flint (3/05/2021 9:23 pm)

3/06/2021 1:19 am  #42

it all started when people left the Cellar to post on Facebook .. be honest about what "started" means

people don't post on MySpace anymore, either .. that's not because of cancel culture, you crybabies

Last edited by Flint (3/06/2021 1:20 am)

3/06/2021 12:30 pm  #43

Undertoad wrote:

A quiet peaceful forum is a dead forum. That's what you've wished for, and that's what you shall have.

Well, so much for that.

3/06/2021 1:34 pm  #44

that's an interesting connection, but I didn't try to turn it into a national conspiracy-- "the victimhood of drummers, drummers aren't allowed to speak, people on the internet are canceling drummers"

to my recollection I think I just wasn't done telling him he was a piece of s*** for being a transphobe

3/06/2021 2:18 pm  #45

Undertoad wrote:

Yes

Sexobon spent over a decade of time with you all, over 10,000 posts, one of about 20 people to make the transition and stick with it;

And the bottom line after all that time and dedication was: thank god that guy is finally gone.

What a sad, even horrible mistake he made, wanting to be with you all for that long. I'm not going to even risk being or becoming that guy 

He spent 10 years popping balloons and stirring shit which is what he enjoyed, no harm no foul, helped keep things moving and brought a lot of information.
When he leaves two people expressed pleasure and you have decided everyone is guilty of a hate crime?
Has anyone ever left any forum that no one was happy they left?
A lot of people have left that I usually disagreed with, along with a lot I usually agreed with, but never wished anyone would leave...

except tw.

Just kidding. LoL

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

3/06/2021 2:34 pm  #46

you can't make the argument without lumping everyone left of center as the "woke police"

my argument has the same achilles heel

but I do think that conservatives self-identify as victims of a conspiracy, so for what it's worth I'm not, like imagining that part

Last edited by Flint (3/06/2021 2:34 pm)

3/06/2021 8:14 pm  #47

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

except tw.

So much respect!  He did not misspell my name.

3/06/2021 8:34 pm  #48

there's no such thing as bad press lol

3/07/2021 10:52 am  #49

Apparently this is the stuff I'm missing on Facebook.

*strains arm patting self on back*

Be Just And Fear Not

3/07/2021 1:59 pm  #50

Not me.

I don't miss it at all.

Board footera