cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/26/2021 8:44 pm  #1

Dried Blood

Anyone had any luck getting a dried blood stain out of fairly absorbent paper (i.e. a paperback page)? I've tried the water/cotton wool buds thing with absolutely bollock-all success, so I figured ask you load of diverse life-experienced braniacs before trying anything else with potentially bad side effects... TIA

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

2/26/2021 9:16 pm  #2

Re: Dried Blood

Peroxide? on a cotton ball very gently.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

2/26/2021 9:50 pm  #3

have you used it successfully? Without damaging the paper (too much)?

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

2/27/2021 5:14 am  #4

Sounds like a potential kids' science fair experiment.  Get another paperback you don't care about and a needle, and create multiple test samples for different treatments.  Not helpful, I know.

2/27/2021 7:36 am  #5

monster wrote:

have you used it successfully? Without damaging the paper (too much)?

No but I use peroxide to clean up dried blood. If the pages are yellowed badly I'd test an inconspicuous place first.
What Glatt said try it somewhere else first.

Last edited by fargon (2/27/2021 7:38 am)

I Love my country, I fear the government.

2/27/2021 12:03 pm  #6

glatt wrote:

Sounds like a potential kids' science fair experiment.  Get another paperback you don't care about and a needle, and create multiple test samples for different treatments.  Not helpful, I know.

Blood from a person I don't care about?  ;)

thanks both.... 

2/27/2021 1:53 pm  #7

There are better ways to mark your place in the book...

Just sayin'...

2/27/2021 3:22 pm  #8

well it is a murder mystery.....

2/27/2021 11:33 pm  #9

To remove blood stains you can adopt either of two courses of action: break down the protein with a protease enzyme, or use bleach to remove the color by oxidation. Since you are trying to remove the stain from paper I would avoid the oxidation process as it will surely damage the paper, whereas an enzyme that digests protein, protease, will not adversely affect cellulose.

Hey! That's me up there!

2/28/2021 8:37 am  #10

Sound cromulent.

https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Buster-081686955-Stain-Remover/dp/B07FJNMPCJ
the questions and comments make your imagination wander

2/28/2021 10:27 am  #11

That one guy shouldn't have tried to remove blood stains from his leather couch with sandpaper first. Looks like he made it worse.

Be Just And Fear Not

3/06/2021 7:52 pm  #12

Grain alcohol

3/06/2021 8:23 pm  #13

monster wrote:

Anyone had any luck getting a dried blood stain out of fairly absorbent paper (i.e. a paperback page)?

Next time Miss Scarlett, don't hide a dagger in the Library.  Somebody might get a Clue.

Last edited by tw (3/06/2021 8:23 pm)

Board footera