cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/26/2021 10:52 pm  #1

How is this for coincidence?

I have a friend who I've known for nearly 15 years (Pologirl's first swim team).  She has many side-gigs, one of which is selling vintage things.  She has a couple of booths in an antique mall a little north of here.  I hadn't ever been there.  

I have a friend I've known since I landed here 20 years ago (toddler playgroups). We have fallen into a Friday thing of walking, lunching and hitting thrift/resale stores (used to be gym rather than walking, back in the "old" days)

This morning the weather was shit for walking, so we decided to do the junk gig first and take a field trip up to this mall.  It turned out to be HUGE (mostly full of shit, but HUUUUGE). There at least 200 booths in the place.  Anyhoo, we got there, I messaged the seller friend saying "we're here...which is your stuff", but the place was sooo in the boonies, no signal inside.  Place was full of kitsch crap (Hoarders' excuses for keeping their collections.. "oh I sell it, I'm a dealer"....) and nice antiques way out of our $$. 

The ONLY thing I actually picked up AT ALL -not very far into the place -booth 11 as it turns out-- was a book about the history of the Seminoles.  Because my daughter is at FSU and so is a "Seminole" (and thoroughly objects to it), and the friend I was shopping with grew up there -in Tallahassee and -as well as having attended FSU, and has many stories about how they were all taught in school that the Seminoles were not a real Native American Nation, the were made up to thwart property developers etc......  And because the book was not vintage or antique really and was kind of out of place....

about 2/3 of the way around, we came across a window to the outside world and I got signal.... message(s) from seller friend....   

summary of messages....  these are my booth #s....   OMG can you do me a massive favor and grab a book I accidentally left there (yes, that one) ... I put it on ebay, it sold last night, I'm in Florida right now and suddenly realized I had left it there when I saw the sold message this morning and my heart sunk  I've called the front desk and Ok'd it......

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

3/27/2021 6:17 am  #2

Re: How is this for coincidence?

That is nutz.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/27/2021 7:05 am  #3

Yeah, I can't explain that.  But if I tried, I would say something along the lines of we choose people to bring into our lives who have interests that we recognize as similar to our own, and if they acquire a new interest, it's likely going to be an interest that we will have as well.  Still a single random book in a massive flea market seems pretty pretty chaotic, and you found structure in the chaos.

3/27/2021 9:42 am  #4

That's kinda wild...

3/27/2021 11:20 am  #5

Wow.

Board footera