cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2021 9:29 pm  #1

Forums

As we are now several months clear of the ship that was scuppered... I was wondering if it might be time to tweak the format a little to current usage?  I know we were trying to recreate what we had and felt at home in, but maybe now we've settled aboard the new vessel...?

My initial thought was... I'd like a Humor forum.  Most of us seem to enjoy it and we have many threads... but I never know whether to chuck it in Homebase, Nothingland, or go with the closest topic-specific forum.  A humor forum would take care of that so nicely, and also be a good pointer when to go if we need a giggle (and who doesn't right now?)

And then I looked at the forums we have already.... and Nothingland has the most topics by a long way -73- whilst there are 5 forums with less than 10:

1)  Relationships (5)
2)  Parenting (9)
-------------------------Perhaps these could be combined -parenting is a relationship?

3) Sports (6)
4) The Internet (9)
------------------------These seem like valid stand-alone forums, although perhaps " The Internet" could be merged with "Technology"?

5) Photo Contests (9) 
------------------------I think this could just disappear, tbh.  We all have other things to do, rn, if a need re-emerges, it could be recreated?

Finally.... Thanks    I appreciate all y'all , and especially our benevolent overlords/moderators/whatevs ;)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

4/13/2021 2:51 am  #2

Re: Forums

Seems reasonable.

Living life on the edge.

4/14/2021 2:35 am  #3

A place for humor is a good idea. 
Why drop Photo Contests, if it's not used it's not in the way but there if you want it. It's like that shirt you're saving for when you paint the house or coat the driveway, doesn't take up much roomit's insurance.
It is difficult to decide where to put everything that pops into your head.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (4/14/2021 2:35 am)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

4/14/2021 5:58 am  #4

I was thinking along the lines of 4 the other day.
1 and 2 also make sense combined. Photos should stay, interest will wax and wane but it has value.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/14/2021 9:06 am  #5

I think Nothingland is the location for humour.
And photo competitions could be subsumed into Photos and Videos, no? People can start competetion threads in there if they want?

Living life on the edge.

4/15/2021 9:43 am  #6

Sorry for the delay in responding--it's been a busy week. I'm on board with all of this. I like keeping the name "Nothingland" as the place for humor because when "humor" as a word gets involved, inevitably someone decides it's the place for mean or political humor.

Give me a while to catch up on the rest of the threads (otherwise I'll lose them in my "active posts" list) and then I'll look into making these changes. Also, I love you all, and thank you for keeping the Cellar alive and contributing in all your unique ways.

4/15/2021 10:20 am  #7

Changes made:

Parenting & Relationships forums have been combined
Technology & The Internet have been combined
Threads in the Photo Contest forum have been moved to Quality Images & Video

Also, I switched all the loose ands for &s for consistency's sake

4/15/2021 9:20 pm  #8

Thanks ma'am. Your effort is appreciated!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/16/2021 1:06 am  #9

Thanks and sorry, wasn't meaning to be bossy/scare y'all with how I keep my mind active... ;) .. That said I am finding it nicer that there are less forums to scroll through if I choose to peruse via the index, even though that was not my initial intention with this thread (not sure there was one, tbh)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

4/16/2021 8:11 am  #10

Excellent work, team!

Living life on the edge.

Board footera