cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2021 4:52 pm  #1

What on Earth....?

I've been volunteering in the Thrift Shop that supports our local schools, and today the person who deals with the books section showed me a thing she's been finding in a few books recently.  Neither of us could figure it out.  I should have taken a pic, but basically it's a cr3032 batterie attached to a single LED (one wire from the LED ?glued to each side of the cell, then the "gadget" taped to a page in the middle of the book, in a way that trashes the page when the tape is removed.  Anyone got any idea what might be going on here?  It is possible all the books are from the same donor/nutter and somehow got spread into different boxes to have been found on separate days.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

4/13/2021 7:12 pm  #2

Re: What on Earth....?

I mean it sounds like a homemade book light?
idk why it's taped right to the page like that, maybe someone else besides the inventor did that

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

4/13/2021 9:10 pm  #3

yeah I thought that, and maybe accidentally got stuck to the page, but then she told me she'd found several.

perhaps someone just liked their bookshelf to look haunted?

oooooh....that is a thought -might have been a prop in someone's (?lockdown) video?  The local TV/film industry regularly shops for props in this store and sometimes donate right back when they're done ...perhaps the amateurs have cottoned on....

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

4/14/2021 12:32 am  #4

Slit the tape to get the wire out and leave the tape on the page.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

4/14/2021 6:04 am  #5

Weird one...

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/14/2021 11:08 am  #6

Shades of Tylenol.

4/15/2021 9:48 am  #7

Two ideas, both film related. First, it's a pretty classic film trope to open a mystical book and have it glow on your face, and this would be a quick and dirty way to achieve that special effect. But the fact that they're a bunch of normal books and not big elaborate leather-bound things makes that questionable. But second, if your lighting is cheap and only from a few sources, a book can throw an undesirable shadow over an actor's face. Putting a tiny light inside to throw a little upward at them could balance that out, and in that case it would need to be on a variety of books, whatever random thing the actor in the scene is supposed to be reading.

Board footera