cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/18/2023 6:42 pm  #51

Re: The Gun Thread

I agree with many of those things, and we should do them.
So.. one group wanting to fix the problem, would do all 14 of those options. Right now, if there was a vote, we could do all 14 of those things.
Another group, skips the whole list and focuses completely on #3. And would never do any of the other things, because they cost money and that causes taxes.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

4/18/2023 6:49 pm  #52

..also some items like #7 and #8 are just subcategories of #1. #15 is a subcategory of #5 (also #2 and #6). ..I'm not sure how many items are actually on this list. Looks like about four? ..gun control, research/education, general social welfare programs, and increase law enforcement.

4/19/2023 6:15 am  #53

While we were talking this happened in my new neighborhood.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/18/nyregion/kaylin-gillis-ny-shooting.html

On Saturday night, just before 10 p.m., Kaylin Gillis and a group of her friends were traveling in a caravan of two cars and a motorcycle that mistakenly drove up that same driveway. They were looking for a friend’s house — and were met with deadly gunfire, killing Ms. Gillis, 20.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/19/2023 10:39 am  #54

Flint wrote:

I agree with many of those things, and we should do them.
So.. one group wanting to fix the problem, would do all 14 of those options. Right now, if there was a vote, we could do all 14 of those things.
Another group, skips the whole list and focuses completely on #3. And would never do any of the other things, because they cost money and that causes taxes.

Heck, the Democratic party would do all 15 of them.  There are Democrats who want to defund the police, but they aren't the ones in charge (and, of course, even most of the "defund the police" people are actually advocating taking some of the law enforcement budget to cover stuff like the other 14 items, rather than just defunding to defund).

And the Republican Party is actively opposed to everything but #3.  They'll talk about mental health when the topic is gun control, but otherwise they won't support it.

But people just love to say "both sides are equally bad".

4/19/2023 10:53 am  #55

Kid knocks on a wrong door.  The owner shoots him.  Cops knock on a wrong door.  The homeowner comes out shooting for no logical (adult) reason.  When cops fire back, the wife picks up the gun and wildly starts shooting without even knowing who she was shooting at.

Kids drive in the wrong driveway.  When backing out, the homeowner shoots them.  In every case, adults who are irresponsible (like children).  Have so much fear promoted by urban myths and to need a gun.  Are so irresponsible as to shoot without even identifying the victim.  Since guns change a person's mindset.  They are righteous because they have a gun.

Only an extremist would advocate more guns. Extremists love it now that more guns are increasing crime rates.  By denying reality.  Throughout history, deadly crimes increase with more guns. People who need more guns are the problem.  They only become more responsible when they do not have a gun.

Stand your ground laws: no one need be responsible like an adult.  If thinking like a child, then fear alone makes it legal is to shoot.  Without asking any questions.  No longer must the shooter be responsible - just emotional.  Emotions justify violence.  Extremists, for some reason, know this is good.

In the old cellar decades ago, this was all discussed in great detail.  Noting, for example, how a massive increase in guns after the civil war resulted in increasing crimes.   How western towns eliminated crimes by requiring all to surrender guns when entering the town.  Now that guns have increased in numbers and ferocity, the predicted violence is happening.  And still the same people deny it.

4/19/2023 11:24 am  #56

When's the last time the Democrats had enough of an edge over Republicans that they could do something without any Republican votes?  And during that time, how many Democratic votes could they afford to lose?

The binary thinking lies in the ides that because there are a few holdouts in the Democratic Party, that makes the party as a whole just as bad as the party that votes 100% against it.

4/19/2023 3:57 pm  #57

meanwhile there is another party who actively fights against the solution. I agree that there is largely no opposition to the republicans, and democrats slam their dick in a car door every time they have a chance to do anything good. they suck, I hate them. but in terms of wHo iS tHe bAd gUy I humbly submit, its' the worst guy. the one that's actively, not just passively, causing harm.

4/19/2023 5:53 pm  #58

Undertoad wrote:

can't read the story, but expect that is the NY Times covering the whitest upper middle class gun crime possible, to give a shared narrative to their white upper middle class audience who are in total agreement on this topic.

there are many many many many many many more shootings within 20 square miles of Times Square. all with real human victims whose story is important. too bad, they didn't happen.

Working class white area. If we're in the assumption business, I'd say a Fox News target audience member got wound up about the HUGE black Crime Wave (™)  and paranoia won the day. Both organizations feed on the clicks only one paid out something just South of a billion dollars for selling lies recently.

https://www.wmtw.com/article/maine-highway-shooting-quadruple-murders-joseph-eaton/43643166
More working class whites dying about 5 miles from my buddies house in Maine.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/19/2023 6:18 pm  #59

tw wrote:

Kids drive in the wrong driveway.  When backing out, the homeowner shoots them.  In every case, adults who are irresponsible (like children).  Have so much fear promoted by urban myths and to need a gun.  Are so irresponsible as to shoot without even identifying the victim.  Since guns change a person's mindset.  They are righteous because they have a gun.

This happened the other day a few miles from my house. The guy is a complete shit for brains. I hope he gets life in prison. gun ownership should require more than just background checks. Owners should have to register and insure their firearms just like they do with automobiles. They should have to pass written and practical tests, just as with cars, and if they are complete assholes they should be denied.

Hey! That's me up there!

4/19/2023 6:26 pm  #60

Concur.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

4/19/2023 7:48 pm  #61

footfootfoot wrote:

gun ownership should require more than just background checks. .

We no longer do that is most states.  Even many, that require registration, have gun shows where no such requirements exist.  Even straw purchases get a wink and a nod.

Many do not get it.  We have all but eliminated such responsibility when a law expired and was not renewed.  After all, when one owns a gun, then he must be responsible.  Fear in the eyes of others says so.

In one mall shooting, a gun owner drew his gun.  Apparently to defend others for a shooter nowhere seen.  To police, he was the criminal.  Who then shot him.  As they should have to anyone waving a gun about.  A responsible person would not have done that.  But he was entitled.  That gun changed his mindset.  He did what was irresponsible; what his gun inspired him to do.

He turned the cop into a victim - who shot an innocent man.

Guns change the mindset.  Especially those not forced to be most responsible; like cops must be.

Stand your ground laws justify shooting justified only by emotions.  Extremists love that law.

Last edited by tw (4/19/2023 8:21 pm)

4/19/2023 8:07 pm  #62

griff wrote:

On Saturday night, just before 10 p.m., Kaylin Gillis and a group of her friends were traveling in a caravan of two cars and a motorcycle that mistakenly drove up that same driveway. They were looking for a friend’s house — and were met with deadly gunfire, killing Ms. Gillis, 20.

Turns out to be further from me and closer to fff

4/19/2023 8:16 pm  #63

Undertoad wrote:

so... during the long periods when there was a D POTUS, and a D Congress, and many states with a D Governor and a D Congress, they accomplished how many of those 14 things in those states?

Extremists push Red vs. Blue in soundbytes.   Extremists versus moderates is reality..  Neither Fox News disciples nor Bernie Sanders extremists know how to think logically - in an adult manner.  The "them versus us" mentality further indicated extremism.   A problem made painfully obvious when extremists parroted the Saddam WMD lies.  After how many decades is that lesson still not learned?

You told us during "Saddam WMDs lies" that the three anchormen from honest network news services were the "See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak no Evil" monkeys.  You said only Fox News was honest.   Its not about Democrats and Republicans. Was always about extremist, brainwash by liars such as Fox News, who obstruct progress.  Did you not learn from liars such as the Tea Party?

Time to admit the only news source (you said this) that you trust has always been lying.  That is clearly now a documented fact.  No wonder you do not see the enemies of America - extremists.  Have spend over 20 years being educated only by professionals liars.

Learn reality.  It was always moderates (patriots) versus extremists (the most easily brainwashed).  Extremist even 20 years ago sexed it all up in lies about Saddam's WMDs.  Extremist also believed Timothy McVeigh lies, 6 January was patriotic, that tax cuts for the rich are good for the country, ozone depletion did not exist  ... and this doozy from UT - global cooling was ongoing.  Fox News and extremist politicians said so.  It must be true.

We have a serious problem.  Too many people now routinely recite extremist rhetoric.  We have a severe shortage of moderates.

4/19/2023 8:21 pm  #64

So tw why don't you run for king, so you can run the government as you see fit?

I Love my country, I fear the government.

4/20/2023 1:20 pm  #65

Literally today in history. Michigan Democrats won full control of the state government for the first time in 40 years, and immediately passed universal background checks, safe storage requirements, and a red flag law.

Tell me again about the thing?

4/20/2023 2:35 pm  #66

Undertoad wrote:

how about this then:

a box of 9mm costs $1000 - You think ppl are hoarding ammo now!

gangs can't just fire at everything on the block - Why would gangs follow the law regulating buwwets?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

4/20/2023 6:05 pm  #67

Undertoad wrote:

OH BUT THERE ARE STILL ONE OR TWO BAD GUYS IN THERE, OOPS THEY TRICKED US STILL CAN'T DO ANYTHING. IT WAS THE FEW BAD GUYS SERIOUSLY

What's the trick?  If most Democrats will vote for something, but all Republicans and a few Democrats vote against it, it doesn't pass.  It wasn't the "few bad guys" fault, it was all of the Republicans plus the "few bad guys".

4/21/2023 10:21 am  #68

The 1994 assault weapons ban was passed with some Republicans voting yes, and some Democrats voting no.  Now Republicans will all vote no no matter what, and Democrats are still split, and you're trying to claim that it's the Democrats' fault for not being in lockstep?

[ETA} Plus, that article did mention several other gun control bills that did pass.

Last edited by Happy Monkey (4/21/2023 10:22 am)

4/21/2023 10:32 am  #69

Michigan

4/21/2023 4:53 pm  #70

Need to defend yourself?  A six shooter is sufficient.  Need to go hunting?  A shotgun or a single shot high powered rifle is sufficient. Only criminals and adults who are still children need an assault rife with a 60 round clip.  Or a 155 mm howitzer.  Which is also constitutionally protected - for those who are not team players (also called anti-Americans).

4/23/2023 4:21 pm  #71

Colin Woodward whose work we've discussed before thinks we need to tailor our messaging to region.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/04/23/surprising-geography-of-gun-violence-00092413

In reality, the region the Big Apple comprises most of is far and away the safest part of the U.S. mainland when it comes to gun violence, while the regions Florida and Texas belong to have per capita firearm death rates (homicides and suicides) three to four times higher than New York’s. On a regional basis it’s the southern swath of the country — in cities and rural areas alike — where the rate of deadly gun violence is most acute, regions where Republicans have dominated state governments for decades.

4/24/2023 7:08 am  #72

griff wrote:

griff wrote:

Turns out to be further from me and closer to fff

About 20 miles. The millimeter's BFF lives about a mile or two away from the guy.

Hey! That's me up there!

4/24/2023 7:28 am  #73

So many cranks are armed now.

They end up centering on domestic violence and getting cops to actually enforce the laws.

4/24/2023 1:10 pm  #74

Undertoad wrote:

no vote, no bullshit political games, no mud wresling, just good ol fashioned reasoning with people. you could say yeah, there were certainly other factors involved, the big drop wasn't all due to the PSAs. i'm sure a great number of people were convinced though. they were decent ads.

There have been lots of bullshit political games to make it harder to get abortions.

Those ads came out in 1992, the same year as "PlannedParenthood v Casey", which opened up a channel for antiabortion laws, that were immediately passed.

4/29/2023 10:29 am  #75

Apparently, you don't have to be an American citizen to be in the well-regulated militia.

https://abc13.com/cleveland-texas-shooting-5-dead-in-san-jacinto-county-child-killed/13195094/

Shooting drunk all night, sounds like my neighborhood.

Board footera