cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/14/2021 3:10 pm  #1

Lend Lease

I was reading about some Russians trying to salvage a plane wreck that had been out on the tundra 70 years. They aren't looking for scrap aluminum why are they doing this.
The plane is a C-47 Skytrain rolled out February 24th, 1943, and given to the Russians on March 12, 1943 at Fairbanks Alaska. I've posted this map of the ALSIB route before...

After the war it was transferred to civilian service then crashed April 23rd, 1947 above the Arctic Circle.
So? They want to save it because it's the last Lend Lease plane left in Russia.

That got me wondering last of how many?  And down the rabbit hole we go.
Lend/lease to Russia, 1941 to 1945, $11.3 Billion worth direct, and some of the $41 Billion to the Brits was passed on to Russia via ship to Murmansk.  My Jr High teacher wrote about that trip by convoy for the London papers.

Lots of long tons...

Some Russians say it didn’t help much but...
   Stalin said. "The most important things in this war are the machines.... The United States is a country of machines. Without the machines we received through Lend-Lease, we would have lost the war."
  Khrushchev - "If the United States had not helped us, we would not have won the war," he wrote in his memoirs. "One-on-one against Hitler's Germany, we would not have withstood its onslaught and would have lost the war. No one talks about this officially, and Stalin never, I think, left any written traces of his opinion, but I can say that he expressed this view several times in conversations with me."

What did we send?
More than 33% of all the explosives used by Russia.
US & GB provided 55 % of all the aluminum and 80% of the copper.
Aviation fuel equivalent to 57% of what they produced often mixed to up their octane.
35,000 radio sets.
32,000 motorcycles.
2,000 locomotives and innumerable boxcars plus half the rails.
38,000 lathes and other metal-working tools. 
4.5 million tons of food, 1.5 million blankets, and 15 million pairs of boots.
14,000 aircraft.
400,000 jeeps and trucks
8,000 tractors and construction vehicles
13,000 battle tanks. 
We were shipping stuff before we were even in the war but we knew it was just a matter of time.
Everyone knew if the Russians collapsed the allies would play hell trying to launch an offensive on the continent.
It was so much nicer when we were playing on the same side.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

5/15/2021 11:35 am  #2

Re: Lend Lease

And it looks like the amazing cooperation between Russia and the US around the ISS is now coming to an end.

5/16/2021 11:26 am  #3

Re: Lend Lease

Since all that Gazprom money started rolling in it's gotten progressively worse.
With the Russians jealousy and embarrassment. 
With the Americans condescension and complacency..

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera