cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/24/2021 4:08 pm  #1

A Little Help? Please.

Nevermind.

Fuck Win10 just as hard and dry as can be arranged.  Twice.  With leper dick.

Affectionately yours,

Just The Dumbest Bastard

Last edited by Gravdigr (5/24/2021 4:14 pm)

5/24/2021 4:15 pm  #2

Re: A Little Help? Please.

Oh, and fuck Google.  And every product they have anything to do with.

5/24/2021 4:16 pm  #3

Oh, and fuck Google.  And every product they have anything to do with.

5/24/2021 4:17 pm  #4

Here's hoping Melinda screws Bill so bad he has to go on welfare.

Cheers.

5/24/2021 6:54 pm  #5

So which bit do you want help with?  finding a leper dick?

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

5/24/2021 8:46 pm  #6

Should be easy, I hear they fall right off.

5/24/2021 8:52 pm  #7

well yes, I would think so ...although apparently leper corns aren't easy to locate so....?

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

5/24/2021 9:03 pm  #8

monster wrote:

well yes, I would think so ...although apparently leper corns aren't easy to locate so....?

Groan.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

5/25/2021 12:45 pm  #9

I was having trouble getting rid of Picasa 3.  I'd rather have cancer than Picasa on my computer.

And then it was gone.

Add/Remove Program, uninstall, nothing did anything.

And then it was gone.

5/25/2021 12:46 pm  #10

But if anyone does happen to get a line on leper dick...

5/26/2021 1:11 am  #11

It's gone or hiding.
Picasa protection program?

My computer is getting wonky so a new one is in the near future.
The thing holding me up is Windows 10, not only dealing with 10 but losing a couple progrtams that won't run on anything above 7. I was reading the Dell ads and was surprized by the statement Solid State drives are much faster but won't stand up to a hard disc for total write erase cycles before failure. I thought the solid state would be more robust. Also very limited optical drives, some have dvd or blu-ray, no CD, and no more than one drive. Yeah, I know, CD is caveman stuff, it's all 6 million gigabits on a drive that will fit in your ear these days. But I have a lot of stuff stored on CDs. Progress sucks.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (5/26/2021 1:28 am)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

5/26/2021 9:19 am  #12

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

The thing holding me up is Windows 10, not only dealing with 10 but losing a couple progrtams that won't run on anything above 7. I was reading the Dell ads and was surprized by the statement Solid State drives are much faster but won't stand up to a hard disc for total write erase cycles before failure..

What programs?  Ate they 16 bit or 32 bit programs?

Solid state drives (NVRAM) use a type of memory that has limited number of write cycles.  That number is quite high.  But can create problems when the OS is constantly writing temporary data to cache.

DVD and Blu-ray drives should read CDs.  CDs (and other such devices) are superior to memory sticks for data that must survive decades.  And must be written on a media that is Read only - cannot be (do not want it to be) modified.

5/26/2021 10:41 am  #13

Long story, but I was just able to buy a bunch of refurbished-like-new laptops with Windows 7 installed from Discount Electronics (website is their name plus .com). Warrantied and all that.

5/26/2021 1:19 pm  #14

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

It's gone or hiding.

You shut your whore mouth!!

Now I gotta wonder, damn your eyes!

5/26/2021 1:23 pm  #15

Bruce, I wonder if those programs you speak of would run on 10 in Compatibility Mode?

I wonder if 10 even has Compatibility Mode?

5/30/2021 6:04 pm  #16

Clodfobble wrote:

Should be easy, I hear they fall right off.

just the tip...

Be Just And Fear Not

5/30/2021 6:10 pm  #17

SSDs are not to be feared.

jeebus

It will change your goddamn life.

also, 

drink the Win10 koolaid already.  the water's fine, Everything's gonna be OK. full disclosure, you will have to work through the loss of not hearing the story of the lives of the grown ass children of the farrier since you won't need to have your horse's shoes replaced to get to wherever you need to go....

But.  it's worth it.

I'm as old as all of you, not a digital native, I'm a an analogue archeological artifact.  But I've been trained.  It's worth it. it really, really is.  There IS turbulence in the transition, but it passes and most of the shit just passes and gets flushed.  ffs.  It's ok.

Be Just And Fear Not

5/30/2021 7:48 pm  #18

But SSDs are not an improvement unless you play games and actually have a shorter lifespan in severe use than a 7200 rpm disc. I've had occasion to use windows 10 on other peoples machines and didn't like it, too hard to find shit. All the windows programs I've had took some adjusting to but were similar, whereas 10 is a whole new ballgame.
One man's entertainment is another mans irritainment.

I use photoshop many times every day It's Photoshop Elements, the first generation, very easy to use and does what I want. I'm not going to be able to move it (long story) so I bought photoshop 12 (the last one you could own) and stashed it away. 12 is more powerful but more difficult to use and time consuming.
The lack of optical drives is annoying, use to be able to add as many and what type you wanted. Always had at least two and early windows you could copy from one to the other straight off, but they killed that.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

5/30/2021 9:16 pm  #19

The HP  I just got has a dvd/cd drive and it's a little weird.  When you open it to insert a disc, it takes two hands to put it in.  You have to snap it in.  And the drive itself feels just flimsier than a campaign promise.

I say the drive feels flimsy, that's because the entire drive slides out of the computer case when ya hit the button.  And it's thin.  All of it, tray, motor, laser everything is about ¼" thick, maybe less.  The front of the tray is only marginally thicker.

Board footera