cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/31/2021 6:34 pm  #1

Win 10 / Roku Issue -- A Little Help?

So...Win 10.  [Deep breath]

One of the few new things I have found potential useful with 10 is "Cast to device".  Right click on a picture (all I've tried, read on), and you have the option to "cast" the pic to a device, in my case the only thing available is the Roku Something (Express maybe, whothefuckknows).  So, I tried it.

I chose the roses I posted here earlier today.  Did what it said to do, VIOLA!  The flowers, on the tv.  Shoulda shot myself right then.

So, like a fool, I tried a picture of a car.  Viola, the same picture of flowers on the tv.

OK, refresh the view on the 'puter, and try again.  Flowers.  I picked the car.

So, unplug the Roku Thing (it has no power button) for a few minutes, try to cast a pic of the cat.

Flowers.
Different folders accomplished nothing.  Flowers.

Tried an old vid, and didn't get flowers.  I got nothing.  Failure.

Tried a gif.  Failure.  But hey, no flowers.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Gravdigr (5/31/2021 6:36 pm)

5/31/2021 7:06 pm  #2

Re: Win 10 / Roku Issue -- A Little Help?

OK, so...No matter what pic I select to cast to the Roku, the picture that is actually cast to the Roku is whatever I have set as my desktop wallpaper.

ETA:  Even if the wallpaper is just a color.  Regardless of the image I select, I get whatever is on my desktop on the Roku.

Last edited by Gravdigr (5/31/2021 7:10 pm)

6/01/2021 12:44 pm  #3

Sounds like it's setting up the Roku as a second monitor.  Can you drag something off the left or right side of the screen onto the Roku?

6/01/2021 1:33 pm  #4

No.  Nor can I change the pic, like if I wanna see the next pic in the folder on the computer, I can't do that with the Roku.  I have to back out of viewing that pic on the Roku, select a different pic on the computer, right click that pic and select 'cast to device', then the Roku pops up a little box "do ya wanna do this", and ya click 'allow', don't allow', always allow', there are a few options.

That's what I'm seeing, anyway.  Pretty sure it's not working quite right.

I like the concept, though.  I'm always coming across something that one of the 'rents might like to see, and this would make it pretty simple to do.  If it worked properly.

All I can find on teh Googell, is how to cast to device.  Nothing about problems casting to device.

6/01/2021 1:34 pm  #5

Happy Monkey wrote:

Sounds like it's setting up the Roku as a second monitor.  Can you drag something off the left or right side of the screen onto the Roku?

This ain't that.

Not that sophisticated, this is pretty basic.  Seems like, anyway.

Last edited by Gravdigr (6/01/2021 1:36 pm)

Board footera