cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/18/2021 9:03 pm  #1

Cover v Original: Part 1 - Boys of Summer

Original: Don Henley 

Cover: The Ataris 

(feel free to post further "parts" of cover vs original.  This is one of the few songs where I prefer the cover.

Best "Boys of Summer"

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

6/19/2021 2:14 pm  #2

Re: Cover v Original: Part 1 - Boys of Summer

I like Don Henley's more wistful take on the song, it seems more fitting.  I like the energy of the Ataris' performance too.  I did a double-take when I thought I heard him say "I saw a black black sticker on a Cadillac..."  I looked it up, he said "I saw a Black Flag sticker on a Cadillac..."  Makes more sense to someone who considers 1982 and 1984 way, way back.... 

monster, this is an excellent thread.  thank you.  I will continue to contribute.

Be Just And Fear Not

6/24/2021 8:54 pm  #3

Dwellars.

The choice is yours:

Rocket Man, the original by Elton John:

Or Rock it, man, by another original, just not in this medium, William Shatner:

Be Just And Fear Not

6/24/2021 9:21 pm  #4

Another original v cover bout.

Almost Cut My Hair, by the titleholders: Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young:

versus

Almost Cut My Hair, by the challenger, Back Door Slam:

Be Just And Fear Not

6/24/2021 9:30 pm  #5

This one is much sweeter song and a much harder choice.

The Original, by Jimi Hendrix, Little Wing:

or this version, also epic Hendrix, a longer performance, comparable to the challenger:

The Challenger, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Little Wing:

Good luck judges.

Be Just And Fear Not

6/24/2021 10:07 pm  #6

God bless Al G O'rhythm.

Original:
War with Low Rider:

vs

Colt Clark and the Quarantine Kids play Low Rider (omg, look at that CHILD rock that Rickebacker!!) also, wtf is up with the superabundance of OVERLY LARGE brass candlesticks?

Be Just And Fear Not

6/30/2021 9:14 pm  #7

What is wrong with you people?

Don't they have YouTube where you live?

Ok, ok... here we go.

Rocket Man--

Elton fucking John.  
Kind of a comedy matchup.  I went to one Elton John concert, in a previous century, as my children were once fond of saying... and it was exhausting.  Three hours of nonstop dancing and singing an aerobic death-melody-march.  I love it and I especially love that it's over. 100 % awesome.

Next, Almost Cut My Hair.

Back Door Slam.  final fucking answer Regis.

I have footfootfoot to thank for this particular improvement to my everlasting quality of life.  Thanks man.  Don't get me wrong, I love me some CSN(Y).  First record I ever bought with my own earned money was CSN.  They're epic, legendary in their own right.  But Back Door Slam took that shit to the next level.

Next question, Regis.

The next one is harder.

I'll answer with my heart--Stevie Ray Vaughn does Little Wing better than Jimi Hendrix.

Great.  See you all in Hell.
Fuck, it's hot as Seattle in here.

Next up: Low Rider.

Colt Clark and his Quarantine Kids have and energy and enthusiasm that I find uplifting and happifying (sue me).  But when I was a kid, we had a juke box in the living room and War's Low Rider was one of the 45s that was *frequently* played.  I truly love that song, there .. I don't think there's a cover that can displace it.  But I'm willing to listen to the song played by many other artists, y'know, in the interests of science.  War's version wins.

Be Just And Fear Not

6/30/2021 9:27 pm  #8

Elspode.

I would love to hear what you have to contribute to this conversation. Please, friend.  Join in.

TheNeverWas.

Newsflash, you are now.  I owe you many, many musical thanks.  Come on man, share.

griff.

come on man, you're here, regularly.  Your input is conspicuous by its absence.

footfootfoot.

You've been called out once, now twice.  Are you going to make me say your name three times?
footfootfoot.
Ball's in your court.

I'm comin for the rest of you too.

Be Just And Fear Not

6/30/2021 9:57 pm  #9

and now for our next needlessly bloody battle:
Barracuda.

The reigning champions, Heart:

In this corner, covered in craft foam and true rock and roll adulation, Cybertronic Spree:

Good luck, judges.  You'll need it.

Be Just And Fear Not

7/01/2021 6:08 am  #10

This is my am quiet time and I'm too young for classic rock. ;)

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

7/01/2021 6:12 am  #11

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

7/16/2021 5:05 pm  #12

Hi.

Original: Massive Attack

Cover: Sreejith The Beard

7/16/2021 6:40 pm  #13

Hey, it's the House intro music.  I always liked that piece of music.

Now, with lyrics, not so much.

Aaaaaaaand reCaptcha.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/16/2021 8:42 pm  #14

Bartholomew wrote:

Hi.

Original: Massive Attack

Cover: Sreejith The Beard

That's a nice cover.

7/16/2021 9:12 pm  #15

That's a nice cover.

agreed.  I think I may prefer it, but it'll take a few more listens to be sure and right now I'm feeling a bit more rocky

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

7/20/2021 10:30 pm  #16

Nat King Cole is a legend, but in the time of my parents' musically formative years, he was a popular musician.  His music was in their ears and it stuck.  They brought it forward to their children, including me, and I love it like they love it, for the same reason.  Exceptional, beautiful music, played on repeat to musically receptive minds, like mine.  I love this song, if you'll pardon the pun.

Another young person who obviously was similarly exposed, but had vastly more musical talent and training than I had also loves this song, and it shows.  Side note, I've included her post of her original video which runs long and was shot when 240p was sufficient.  It's still sufficient, because we're listening to her heart through her voice and her face and her body.  

Judges?

Be Just And Fear Not

7/21/2021 6:12 pm  #17

Hello Bartholomew, welcome to the cellar!

I like your post, thanks.  I like the  Sreejith The Beard cover the best.

Be Just And Fear Not

9/22/2021 7:04 pm  #18

Why are there so many songs about.... 

In this corner we have the raining champion, RAINBOWS!

And the challenger in the flowered blazer, EJACULATION!

Ok, ok.  The "start video at x time" part doesn't work anymore.  The rope-a-dope, entertaining as it is, goes on for the first 9:12. The beatdown begins at 9:13.

VOTE~!

Be Just And Fear Not

3/23/2022 11:42 am  #19

BigV wrote:

TheNeverWas.

Newsflash, you are now.  I owe you many, many musical thanks.  Come on man, share.

Heh, ok.  You asked for it.  Just saw the above quoted post, sorry I took so long.

Ok, first off, and I warn you now, this is the best one.  So, y'know, proceed at your own risk, not out of concerns of SFW, but in terms of quality and taste.

I couldn't find a good version with actual video (x2), and I know, PP&M is not the original, but, it's better than John Denver's.  So imagine video:

And, now, Me First & The Gimme Gimmes.  -->Hang on.<--

Put that in yer pipe and smoke it.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

3/23/2022 11:49 am  #20

Firstly:

And, secondly (remember what I said about quality and taste?):

Didja see who posted the 2nd vid?  Didja see teh kitteh?

Last edited by TheNeverWas (3/23/2022 11:50 am)

3/23/2022 11:52 am  #21

Verily, I say unto you:

***THE NEXT POST IS NSFW***

3/23/2022 12:01 pm  #22

One Mr.  Cee-Lo Green:

And, the one, the only, Mr. William Fucking Shatner:

3/23/2022 12:03 pm  #23

William Shatner was gonna start a line of women's lingerie, but decided that Shatner Panties prolly wouldn't sell.

3/23/2022 6:12 pm  #24

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!

Be Just And Fear Not

3/24/2022 5:46 am  #25

Ha!

Board footera