cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/10/2023 5:27 pm  #51

Re: What's more current than the weather?

Stop. I received a tornado warning because there were tornadoes in my area. I appreciated the fore-warning.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

8/11/2023 10:02 am  #52

The heat is bad in Texas right now. A guy I know is outfitting a shipping container on his property for a workshop, and while he plans to install air conditioning, he hasn't yet. In the meantime, he did an experiment: up until now, his container was registering an internal temperature of about 130 degrees during the afternoons. He painted the roof with high-gloss white exterior paint, and now the max it reaches is around 90 degrees. I knew it would be helpful, of course, but I was pretty blown away by how helpful.

8/11/2023 11:41 am  #53

That's a huge difference. There have been a lot of experiments done on black top (Macadam) to reduce heat absorption. I would hope a lot of cities get on board when a good heat reflecting paint / coating is worked out.There is concern that used in the wrong place such a coating might reflect heat into the surrounding buildings. Hopefully they can shape some recommendations. 

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

8/11/2023 2:17 pm  #54

We have a white sidewalk outside of my building downtown. It's pretty wide, and when I walk out in the afternoon without sunglasses on, it's surprisingly difficult to see because my eyes are clamped shut and refuse to open.

8/12/2023 7:32 am  #55

There's an issue. This could turn into infrastructure dominoes. I go between rural and urban daily. The temperature difference is stunning.

Last edited by griff (8/12/2023 7:33 am)

8/12/2023 2:16 pm  #56

I went from Santa Rosa to San Francisco.  A wonderful 100 degrees (40C) to an absolutely miserable 60 (15C).  I agree with Mark Twain.  Coldest winter I spent was that August in San Francisco.

8/29/2023 6:44 pm  #57

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

8/29/2023 7:24 pm  #58

Clodfobble wrote:

The heat is bad in Texas right now.

I was watching one of my Utube channels (he's in Tejas) about a week ago, the guy said at 9:15am the temp was 109.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

12/19/2023 7:33 am  #59

The Northeast got very wet yesterday. I had to alter my driving for work as low lying roads in my area were flooding. All the creeks and the Susquehanna were up. My brother's school in Ct had a power outage as did my daughter's in Mass. Lots of ruined roadway in the High Peaks of the Adirondacks. My place up there made the paper.

Our neighbors above us had a rough commute day. The wife had to avoid a number of washouts between the ferry and home and the husband had to overnight at work. Our neighbor below sent pictures showing the water level coming down. Yes Jack is a beautiful dog.

(yay climate change /s)

12/19/2023 11:59 am  #60

You guyz always get our weather.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

12/19/2023 12:31 pm  #61

In this case, it all came from the south.  Mostly through states along the coast.

Areas flooded by this (only heavy rain) should be concerning.  What will they do when a big one happens?

That flooded forest area is the flood plain.  Essential to keep flooding downstream.  As a nation, we are now building high rise apartment and dikes on such land.  Then downstream flooding is their problem.

Last edited by tw (12/19/2023 12:33 pm)

12/19/2023 12:58 pm  #62

My brother was trying to get from Ottawa to Lewiston yesterday to pick up my parents and they are all flying down here from Boston.  He kept running into road closures every route he took, and had to divert to Boston instead.  His EV car ran low on charge, and then he was hunting for a place to charge up.  Meanwhile, my parents had to take a bus to Boston instead.  Looking at their dots on the maps, I see they all made it to Logan ok today.

1/10/2024 8:29 am  #63

Crazy weather week with snow, rain, and wind, we had burning power lines on the ground up here last night and the neighbors reported big pyrotechnics on the police tower.

1/10/2024 10:20 am  #64

A fair number of drivers don't know what a flashing red traffic light means (when the wind and rain knock out the regular green/yellow/red function.)

I wear lots of reflective tape stripes on the front and back of my backpack and a glowing LED armband.  Don't know how much more I need to do to be visible.

1/10/2024 8:30 pm  #65

It was so windy here, a chicken up the road laid the same egg three times.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

1/11/2024 7:44 am  #66

Glatt : be careful man our pedestrian accident numbers ain't great.
TNW : some funny shit!

1/19/2024 6:43 pm  #67

We had a couple inches of snow that froze in to a couple inches of frozen solid. Not ice but close to it.
Spent all day clearing the walk, driveway and the pullout for the mailbox they plow in.
It was a pain in the ass but got to pick up a script at the drug store, and it felt good to be done.
Got up this morning and more snow. 
edit, forgot to add this tidbit...

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (1/19/2024 7:15 pm)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera