cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/26/2021 11:32 am  #1

Caps Lock

I can't believe that I am the only one with this silly problem and I hope there is an easy solution.
At least several times a day here, in WP, in email and in all other forms of typing, I look up and discover that I have been in Caps Lock mode for somewhere between the last two words and two weeks.
It has bugged me for years.
They put that little sucker right between two legitimate keys and I f'n hate backspacing out those oversized intruders and starting over.  
I'm not sure offhand if there is a legitimate use for all caps anyway.
If there is not a CAPS LOCK lock, I am going to stick something on the key to alert me.
Other ideas?

6/26/2021 7:28 pm  #2

Re: Caps Lock

Should have said I have a regular free-standing table top keyboard.
The one I am using cost $5 at Sallys, replacing one that was $20 new.  Amazing value.
Anyhow, I found a bunch of very elaborate fixes for unwanted caps, all electronic and probably computer killing if done improperly.
I found some thin cardboard that was just thick and stiff enough to bend and stick under the key, avoiding the Tab and Shift keys. 
A little Scotch Tape to hold it in place and Bob's your uncle.  
Hopefully.

6/27/2021 10:06 am  #3

Good morning DJ

Just thinking out loud here...

I also sometimes hit the Caps Lock key when I'm reaching for Tab or Shift or my coffee or whatever and it's a pain.  But I don't think I've gone two weeks before noticing--yikes.  Seriously though, I do get to typing and when the capslock key was active, there's redoing to do.  But because I'm looking at the text on the screen when I'm typing and only rarely at the keyboard, I can see pretty much right away when I've flipped the wrong switch.  It sounds like you have your eyes more down on the keyboard than up on the screen... If that's the case then noticing the caps lock LIGHT might be of use to you.  I'm sure, even for just five bucks, a light was included in the keyboard design, look for it.  There are other LOCK lights too, Num lock for using the numeric keypad to the right for numbers instead of navigation and Scroll lock for some purpose lost to the mists of time.  

More thoughts.. if you're never going to use caps lock, why not just take the keycap off the keyboard?  You might destroy that key, but no loss to you right? It's just a movable lid over the actual switch (probably).  And then it would be a lot harder to activate accidentally, the goal you're seeking.

Or, go the other way tape/glue/adhere something to the top of the keycap that makes it very distinctive to the touch so if you do hit it you know.  A Lego block, a piece of sticky back velcro, a piece of sticky back foam, etc.

Regarding the WP (word processor, I guess), there may be a way to convert a block of text to lower case instead of having to retype it.  That's kind of a different subject though.

There's always MORE typing, like, more better typing skills where you don't make that error as often.. probably not a very helpful suggestion, good thing I'm only thinking out loud here. /mavisbeacon

Be Just And Fear Not

6/27/2021 12:55 pm  #4

In word and in some other programmes too, you can highlight the guilty words and cycle through, using shift+F3, ALL CAPS, Initial Caps, and all lower case.

Living life on the edge.

6/27/2021 10:01 pm  #5

Every time I get a new keyboard the first thing is remove the caps lock key.
Seriously, put in in the drawer to my left. Never had an occasion to pull it out and snap it back on.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera