cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/14/2021 11:59 am  #176

Re: Got Cars

I've owned two of those cars (not the exact ones shown).
And keep your Lambo out of the daisies. 

And yep Car Talk wanted the tire valve.
Makes one wonder why standardiztion didn't go further.

Last edited by Diaphone Jim (7/14/2021 12:03 pm)

7/18/2021 10:32 pm  #177

Cigarette lighter?

7/18/2021 11:08 pm  #178

They came in at least two sizes.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

7/21/2021 2:47 pm  #179

If you've got one of these...

You'll need one of these...

An absolute bargain at £24,662.13 ($32,499.99) but post and packing charges are a bit steep at £720.99. (Economy delivery).

Ebay UK

I've just looked at ebay.com which carries the original US listing and there is a choice of two!

Last edited by Carruthers (7/21/2021 2:49 pm)

8/04/2021 12:06 am  #180

If you have that and want that you better have this. 

But you can't deny there are some strange people, or at least with strange priorities, out there..

8/04/2021 12:11 pm  #181

Dude shares my feelings about tailgaters.

8/04/2021 11:42 pm  #182

Define tailgater, how close do they have to be for you to call them that?
Of course it depends on speed, I'd expect them to be close when we're crawling along at 8 mph but more space at 88 mph. 
I've seen 1 car length for each 10 mph so two car lengths at 20 mph.
20 mph is got to be in traffic and leave 2 car lengths 3 cars will try to get in.
Leave 6 car lengths at 60 mph and 7 cars will try to squeeze in.
I've also seen 3 seconds but 3 seconds on a left turn light will get you cursed and maybe shot.
3 seconds in traffic is inviting lane hoppers.
3 seconds on the highway is OK except it won't urge the left lane bandit in front of you to move over.

8/05/2021 4:46 am  #183

There used to be (maybe still is?) a mantra here - 'Only-a-fool-would-break-the-two-second-rule' - the idea being that it should take two seconds to repeat the phrase in your head as you follow the car in front. Of course, it still doesn't stop any of the arseholes cutting into the safe space you leave.

8/05/2021 7:10 am  #184

Two Short Planks wrote:

There used to be (maybe still is?) a mantra here - 'Only-a-fool-would-break-the-two-second-rule' - the idea being that it should take two seconds to repeat the phrase in your head as you follow the car in front. Of course, it still doesn't stop any of the arseholes cutting into the safe space you leave.

The original public information film...

It dates from the late 1970s and does look dated but the safety message is as relevant as ever.

8/05/2021 8:25 am  #185

And then you have the idiot that comes flying around you only to slow down immediately to 55 or less. The way you handle them is you get off the freeway and get a cup of coffee.
They taught the Car Length rule on this side of the pond. 1 car length per 10 MPH, I like the Two Second Rule better.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

8/05/2021 10:15 am  #186

I don't drive all that much these days so tend to avoid many of these hazards, but I do have memories of driving through rural Shropshire and being stuck behind a car at a steady 45mph in a 60mph limit..
I eventually passed it only to find when I slowed to 30mph at the next village he came past me at... you've guessed it... 45mph.
Why would anyone drive at 45mph everywhere regardless?

8/05/2021 10:51 am  #187

I follow the two second rule, often three .
I'm too old to worry about people squeezing in to save a few seconds. 
Half of tailgaters are stupid, half are assholes and the rest are stupid assholes.
I'd rather have them in front of me so I can keep an eye on them. 

8/05/2021 5:38 pm  #188

Experimental roads put marker on the road.  If you did not see both markers, then one was too close.  It works quite well - when one is driven by logic and not by his emotions.

A cop explained this.  SUVs, being so high, judge distance by how much an 'in front vehicle' fills his windshield.  They are especially aggressive tailgaters with cars.  Again, emotions.

Simply keep changing speeds.  Take a foot off the accelerator.  Then as he gets too close and starts to brake, restore speed.  For most tailgaters, this message is understood by a second or third time.  Since braking is so more emotionally undesirable.  Target his emotions.  Since tailgaters are not thinking logically.The emotional do not like constantly braking.  Eventually they back off.

It also works because tailgaters also and often cannot just the speed of and distance to vehicles in front - until forced to brake.

8/05/2021 10:47 pm  #189

tw wrote:

Eventually they back off. 

Good luck with that, two or three brake checks will more likely piss them off enough to put you and yours in danger.
Just tell him he's being emotional and immature before they put you in the ambulance.

8/06/2021 4:19 am  #190

tw wrote:

Experimental roads put marker on the road.  If you did not see both markers, then one was too close.  It works quite well - when one is driven by logic and not by his emotions.

A cop explained this.  SUVs, being so high, judge distance by how much an 'in front vehicle' fills his windshield.  They are especially aggressive tailgaters with cars.  Again, emotions.

Simply keep changing speeds.  Take a foot off the accelerator.  Then as he gets too close and starts to brake, restore speed.  For most tailgaters, this message is understood by a second or third time.  Since braking is so more emotionally undesirable.  Target his emotions.  Since tailgaters are not thinking logically.The emotional do not like constantly braking.  Eventually they back off.

It also works because tailgaters also and often cannot just the speed of and distance to vehicles in front - until forced to brake.

And if tailgated by an electric car, is the driver letting his e-Motion get the better of him?

I think we should be told.

8/06/2021 8:14 pm  #191

Kudos.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

8/06/2021 10:13 pm  #192

Carruthers wrote:

And if tailgated by an electric car, is the driver letting his e-Motion get the better of him?
I think we should be told.  

8/06/2021 10:23 pm  #193

The way it used to was...

But the rules and regulations, both state and federal, have eliminated this sort of thing. 

8/09/2021 10:52 pm  #194

Charlie Smith built this Vettester 1/8th scale model cutting down a Corvette(model) to an open wheel roadster while retaining the crumple zones, catalytic converters, and all the federal and state mandated equipment  to make it legal to sell as a new car. He knew Sam Foose and showed it to his boy Chip when he was in his second year of design school. He says Chip was intrigued and they talked about how cool it would be for an automaker to make them for a niche market like they do with some other models. Two years later as a senior Chip was tapped for his senior project sponsored by Chrysler to design something for one of the niche markets. Chip decided he would created a new niche and his design was massaged by Chrysler(adding ugly bumpers) into the Prowler. There is nothing more than Charlies tale, no evidence, but it is possible. The workmanship on this is incredible.

8/13/2021 10:00 pm  #195

The ultimate hot rod coupe...

And a sweet custom Caddy...

8/14/2021 11:47 am  #196

Have to use Chrome to see pics (Bruce's anyway), have to stay here to post.  WTF, I have time.
Louvers in trunk:  Paying off the louver press machine or transporting hostages? 

8/14/2021 3:30 pm  #197

those are some pretty pretty pretty cars

Be Just And Fear Not

8/14/2021 6:10 pm  #198

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Have to use Chrome to see pics (Bruce's anyway), have to stay here to post.  WTF, I have time.
Louvers in trunk:  Paying off the louver press machine or transporting hostages? 

Just my pictures? I'm using the monkey because that site UT came up with kept shrinking mine so you couldn't read the text. That got old real quick.
The louvers? Let the trapped air out during competition on the salt flats, or any high speed movement for that matter..

8/19/2021 11:55 pm  #199

When was the last time you saw a two door cop car?

8/20/2021 2:19 pm  #200

in a glamour shot of the Dubai PD hot pursuit vehicles

Be Just And Fear Not

Board footera