cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2022 10:26 am  #51

Re: Weird News

griff wrote:

footfootfoot wrote:

A friend of mine was fired from a jobsite because the homeowner overheard him use the word "niggardly" and was affronted that a mere tradesman had a bigger vocabulary than her. Or she thought he was being racist.

either way...
Makes you wonder how folks so dumb can collect enough nuts to hire the knowledgeable.

Sometimes they marry into it.

Hey! That's me up there!

3/29/2022 5:14 pm  #52

Cheep?   Isn't that what birds do?  So that is just another way or calling someone a 'birdbrain'.

3/29/2022 7:10 pm  #53

"Cheap"  I bet you like that better.

Last edited by fargon (3/29/2022 7:11 pm)

I Love my country, I fear the government.

3/30/2022 10:35 am  #54

Attention K-mart shoppers!  

Were they being called "niggardly"?

Do they live in a blue light district?

Last edited by tw (3/30/2022 10:37 am)

3/30/2022 3:30 pm  #55

tw wrote:

Meanwhile the Ever Forever has been stuck in a Baltimore shipping channel for many weeks now.

Looks like six tug boats from multiple companies (including at least one from NYC) are collecting around the Ever Forever.  Maybe to pull it at least a thousand feet from a mud bank.

These container ships are so massive that unloading containers (to lighten its load) apparently is not an option.   Two dredgers have been working for over a month.  Apparently dredging an exit channel depth enough.  Curiously in both a north and south direction.

3/30/2022 7:30 pm  #56

I would be curious to know where, exactly it is stuck.  I stayed two weekends ago in a very nice hotel in Fells Point with excellent views of the Baltimore harbor and I brought a pair of binoculars.  I spent much time looking at the harbor through them.  Where was this ship?  Way out in the Bay, or closer in?

3/30/2022 8:38 pm  #57

Are we talking about the Ever Forward, perhaps?  Because it is stuck  just outside Baltimore harbor.  Also.  Maybe?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

3/30/2022 9:07 pm  #58

I forgot about that ship tracking website.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:6378710/zoom:14

I wouldn't have been able to see it from my hotel in Northwest harbor.  The ship is in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay, a ways from Baltimore.

3/31/2022 8:50 am  #59

glatt wrote:

I would be curious to know where, exactly it is stuck.

Baltimore has two channels out of the harbor into Chesapeake Bay.   Southern channel has a 20 degree turn just outside the harbor.  For reasons unknown, the ship did not turn somewhere near buoy 16.  Noted was that most ships slow to 10 knots at this turn.  Instead the Ever Forward was doing 13 knots - for reasons not yet disclosed.

It then drove a long way into a mud bank that is in 24 feet of water.

Due to the Panama Canal, this channel was deepened and widened in the past ten years.

Ships often take on a pilot who is familiar with everything in that harbor.  Apparently Ever Forward had a pilot on board.  Meaning that Evergreen should not be responsible for these expenses.  Should does not mean 'will not'.

Tides will do little to assist its liberation since tides in that region vary only two feet.

Last edited by tw (3/31/2022 9:00 am)

3/31/2022 1:29 pm  #60

That provided me with a much needed cackle.  Just now saw it.

Thank you so much!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

3/31/2022 1:36 pm  #61

Are two Evergreen ships stuck in the Baltimore harbor area, or just the one, the Ever Forward?  Is the Ever Forever stuck there also?

4/17/2022 9:48 am  #62

They unloaded maybe 3000 containers (maybe less).  And with a full moon (spring) tide, it popped it out yesterday using seven tug boats.  Ever Forward is now outside Annapolis in an anchorage being inspected for damage.

Last edited by tw (4/17/2022 9:55 am)

4/19/2022 11:47 pm  #63

They intended to unload 5000 containers.  But apparently only unloaded 500.  Did not want to miss a full moon tide.  This time they dredged alongside the starboard.   Then slid Ever Forward off a mud bank into a deeper hole.

Still not reported: why it did not make a 20 degree right turn.

6/12/2022 4:43 am  #64

Nothing bad, just subject matter:

Indiana anglers find adult toy in catfish's stomach

Woulda put a YouTube vid here, but damned if I can get it to work...Vid in the story at the link.

6/12/2022 4:57 am  #65

6/12/2022 1:28 pm  #66

No thank you.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/16/2023 6:48 pm  #67

10/17/2023 6:05 am  #68

That is hilarious and they are getting covered so, win!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/19/2024 8:31 pm  #69

2/23/2024 12:56 am  #70

After reading about this I was puzzled. Nobody could be dumb enough to think for a moment they could get
away with hijacking a probably half million dollar truck with a 2+ million dollar load and drive it some distance
and not get caught. If he just needed a ride hitchhike, ask for one, or hijack a car.
It made me wonder if it was intentional.
If getting out in the world scared him into doing this to get back in with 3 hots and a cot waiting.
Maybe a boyfriend too.
Damifino.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/23/2024 8:14 am  #71

To be in prison in the first place, he has demonstrated that he doesn't always make responsible choices.

2/23/2024 8:26 am  #72

Impulse control, somewhat lacking. Seems like the outside world wasn't for him one way or the other.

2/23/2024 2:47 pm  #73

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Nobody could be dumb enough to think for a moment they could get
away with hijacking a probably half million dollar truck with a 2+ million dollar load and drive it some distance
and not get caught.  

Simply remember Charlottesville VA   or  6 Jan in Washington to appreciate so many adults who do not think in an adult manner.  Brain of the child (sometimes called the reptilian brain) is doing all thinking.  Intelligent though is too hard and undesired.

Psychology that even explains why so many in 1930 Germany or 1994 Rwanda were doing so much good.  Their emotions (the brain of a child) were making all decisions.  Same mentality is also found in Trump rallies where his advocacy of hate make him popular.  For the same reason a child on a playground loves praises a bully.  In every case, the adult brain is not in control.  Also called "impulse control, somewhat lacking".

Last edited by tw (2/23/2024 2:49 pm)

2/23/2024 5:56 pm  #74

He didn't want the truck. He wanted the cargo (pun intended) after he got the word.

The word was...

Gumball.

2/24/2024 12:16 pm  #75

After this five minute crime spree:
“I am extremely proud of the officer and deputy involved in this investigation,” said Wilcox police chief Dale Hadfield

Board footera