cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/08/2021 8:47 pm  #1

The Book of Questions

Rummagin' thru attic-boxes for sumthin' else, I found a copy of Gregory Stock's The Book of Questions (© 1985). There are 217 questions and 200 follow up questions. I think, as I can, I'll post one daily, in the order presented in the book. A new question ought not end any conversation over an old(er) question.

-----

1. For a person you loved deeply, would you be willing to move to a distant country knowing there would be little chance of seeing your friends or family again?

8/09/2021 2:29 am  #2

Re: The Book of Questions

Easy yes for me, as family is gone and friends are scarce.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

8/09/2021 6:26 pm  #3

2. Do you believe in ghosts or evil spirits? Would you be willing to spend a night alone in a remote house that is supposedly haunted?

8/09/2021 6:47 pm  #4

No.  Yes -if it was worth my while/there was a darn good reason 'cause I'd rather be in my own bed

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

8/09/2021 7:04 pm  #5

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

...  as family is gone and friends are scarce.

How did you know what the second question would be?  Clairvoyant?

Third question.  Are they ghosts or evil spirits?  Is that why they are gone or scarce?

And need we call the cops?

8/09/2021 8:06 pm  #6

Yes.

I've done this already, minus the "n" in country.  I'm many miles/hours away from all my family, though my loved one has family and they're loved ones for me now, too.

Be Just And Fear Not

8/09/2021 10:03 pm  #7

#2 - I ain't scared of no ghosts.
Spent many nights alone in remote strange places.

8/10/2021 5:55 am  #8

1) yes
2) no part b yes

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

8/10/2021 6:38 pm  #9

3. If you were to die this evening with no opportunity to communicate with anyone, what would you most regret not having told someone? Why haven't you told them yet?

8/11/2021 3:55 am  #10

No regrets about not telling people anything.
I suppose I should tell my brother where all my shit is, like cars and stuff.
But if I'm dead, fuck it.

8/11/2021 8:35 am  #11

henry_quirk wrote:

Why haven't you told them yet?

They will find out what I had to say when the Last Will and Testaement is read.

Last edited by tw (8/11/2021 8:36 am)

8/11/2021 6:55 pm  #12

4. If you could spend one year in perfect happiness but afterward would remember nothing of the experience would you do so? If not, why not?

4. Which is more important: actual experiences, or the memories that remain when the experiences are over?

8/11/2021 10:07 pm  #13

#4...  I don't know, that would be like buying a pig in a poke because I have no idea what a year of "perfect happiness" would consist of. Even if I was allowed to script it I'd be at a loss.
But if the point is flashbacks or tchotchkes, flashbacks are king. Fight King Kong and win, cut off his ear as a trophy, that ear don't mean diddly compared to the memory your emotions before, during, after.

There was a discussion this afternoon on a car website where some of the members go to a lot of car shows and were posting pictures of their trophies. All pretty much agreed the trophies are only good for tricking the unwary into listening to their stories about attending. 

8/11/2021 11:50 pm  #14

For all I know, I DID choose the "year of happiness" option already, and have forgotten about it as promised.

8/12/2021 9:19 am  #15

Undertoad wrote:

i will be so angry if you have forgotten me

Lawyer said I cannot use aliass.

8/12/2021 4:57 pm  #16

5. If a new medicine were developed that would cure arthritis but cause a fatal reaction in 1 percent of those who took it, would you want it to be released to the public?

8/12/2021 5:06 pm  #17

Undertoad wrote:

not only do i know your full real name, i know why you spell it wrong

Ah man!!

8/12/2021 5:47 pm  #18

here we go.

Be Just And Fear Not

8/12/2021 6:29 pm  #19

henry_quirk wrote:

5. If a new medicine were developed that would cure arthritis but cause a fatal reaction in 1 percent of those who took it, would you want it to be released to the public?

That 1% are cured.  What is the problem?

8/12/2021 9:39 pm  #20

tw wrote:

Lawyer said I cannot use aliass.

Did he say ya cannot spell it?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

8/13/2021 4:55 am  #21

No.

8/13/2021 6:16 pm  #22

6. You discover your wonderful one-year-old child is, because of a mixup at the hospital, not yours. Would you want to exchange the child to try to correct the mistake?

8/13/2021 8:25 pm  #23

#5 Yes with full disclosure of the risks and a vetting process to make sure you do.

#6  It would be worth checking the options to see which one would make better bacon. 

8/14/2021 10:27 am  #24

It would be worth checking the options to see which one would make better bacon.

a 🌟 answer

👍

8/14/2021 2:56 pm  #25

7. Do you think that the world will be a better or a worse place 100 years from now?

Board footera