cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/10/2021 10:35 am  #1

Wifi mesh

I got pissed off for the last time with my wifi being weaker than my cell service.

Decided that it was worth throwing some money at the problem.

https://youtu.be/4K7qMqSVlGk

I got the 3 pack, with one wired to the modem, one in the kitchen and one out in the garage.  Getting 127 mbps in the kitchen and on the deck, and 64 out in the shop.

Woke up at 7 am to set it up. Felt like Christmas morning.

10/10/2021 11:55 am  #2

Re: Wifi mesh

Damn that's pretty good!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/11/2021 8:59 pm  #3

Disabling the indigenous wifi from my fios router improved speeds all around. They should probably mention that somewhere in the install instructions.

10/12/2021 12:56 pm  #4

I looked into those a little, and I'll bet they work wonders up close, like to a detached garage. I figured just upgrading the router would be a nice boost, as well, so it's nice to get confirmation on those items.

I have a bigger issue, a workshop on my property that's like 100 yards away, downhill. I'm looking at, maybe those directional antennae, one at my house and one at the workshop pointed at each other, beaming a tight arc of signal. So, coax to antenna, to antenna, to coax to a separate router in the workshop. It's daunting to evaluate which of the products designed for this I should purchase.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

10/12/2021 3:57 pm  #5

Interesting.  I'm not sure how the wifi works in my new house yet, but I've been looking at ways to extend the signal to the garage 100 ft away.

10/12/2021 9:23 pm  #6

My shop is 60 feet from the back edge of the house, and the third node is on the back windowsill closest to it. It's a metal sided structure.  Insulated with foil and 1 1/2" of foam.  I don't get 4 or 5G at my work bench.  Had to go over by the door to look at shit on Amazon. That's in the past.

100 yards downhill.... You need to run some wires, bro.

10/13/2021 11:36 am  #7

"...the garage 100 ft away."
"100 yards downhill.... "

10/13/2021 5:21 pm  #8

Flint said 100 yards downhill.
bbro said 100 feet away.

lumberjim is the one the FBI was asking about... oops scratch that, I wasn't supposed to mention it.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

10/13/2021 10:28 pm  #9

Solution always starts by first learning what exists.  Anything that is reporting signal strenght or SNR using bars is useless information.   Numerous programs exist to read the dBs for each access point.  Walking about with a laptop first teaches what works and where problems actually exist.

In one Ring setup, the dBs dropped by 20 in the last two feet from the Ring.  That was a read surpise.  Simply moving the access point increases signals to that Ring doorbell by over 20 dBs.  We identified a problem long before even asking how to fix it.

Only dBs (not five bars) provide useful information.

Board footera