cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/18/2021 11:07 am  #1

New tires are not cheap

I had to replace the tires on my Ford F150 truck. I got the truck in the summer of 2017, it came with Goodyear tires and chrome wheels that I really hated. The tires wore out at 40,000 miles which is less than I would have expected. Also the chrome was peeling on the rims near the tire bead, the tire guy said that is pretty common for Ford chrome rims. So I bought 4 new Continental tires and new aluminum wheels that don't look so gaudy as the chrome ones. I decided to replace the fancy air valves that send the pressure to the car's computer, they recommend getting new ones every 5 years and this was at 4. That added a bit to the total. 

Set me back $1800! But they had an 18 month no interest finance option which I took. 

10/18/2021 11:43 am  #2

Re: New tires are not cheap

I hope that wasn't each.

10/18/2021 9:56 pm  #3

My truck came with goodyears which rode fine but if the guy in the car in front of me spit out his window I would spin out. No shit, any dampness on the road became like a hockey rink. Matter of fact I suffered through two sets of those tires because I bought a spare set of wheels off a guy and the Goodyears only had a couple thousand miles on them. Plus the Goodyears were only H rated.
I replaced them in 2015 with Continental extreme contact, w rated, 255-50-19, $457 and 295-40-20 $532.
I just replaced the fronts with Continental extreme contact, w rated, 255-45-19, $557. Up $100 in 7 years. The rears need to be done in the spring. I might have done better but I wanted to throw the shop that does my work a bone for putting up with me. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

10/19/2021 8:10 pm  #4

I have a new set of tires on order, the Speedster from Vee Tire Co.  The manufacturer's website lists them at $70 each, but I'm not sure what my local bike store, Uptown Cyclery, will charge me, if/when they ever get here. I've run the rear smooth on the center line of tread knobs and it's time, really time.  Curse you supply chain issues!

Be Just And Fear Not

10/19/2021 8:31 pm  #5

I still have PTSD from riding sewups on my racing bike and one year I had 6 flats in about 3 months. At $60 a tire for the OK ones, up to $120 for the Sunday Go To Meetin' tires (You can't really patch them) I got to where I was afraid to ride my bike.

Finally found some decent training tires for around $30 but in the back of my mind there's the expectation of a piece of glass racing to meet my tire.

Hey! That's me up there!

10/19/2021 9:42 pm  #6

You're not wrong.

When I was at Uptown Cyclery the last time, they were trying to mount some tires on some rims for a customer and broke six tire levers in the process.  What's so hard? I wondered.  I know they were big tires, and quite wide, but dang.  Turns out the customer had bought a set of Cush Core foam inserts.  They didn't sell them, they only installed them.  They look like snake oil to me.  Heavier, why can't you just run your tires at the proper pressure, still no flat / run flat protection and they were expensive.  Especially if you consider the cost of tire levers.

They probably magnetically attract glass, too.  Pass, thanks.

Be Just And Fear Not

10/19/2021 10:39 pm  #7

footfootfoot wrote:

Finally found some decent training tires for around $30 but in the back of my mind there's the expectation of a piece of glass racing to meet my tire.

A hard piece of plastic, called Mr Tuffy, can sit between a tire and inner tube.   Tire would have at least one cut in the tire.  But never get through that plastic liner.

That is the up side.  I am not sure, but I think that hard plastic caused tires to wear maybe 20% faster.

10/20/2021 6:07 am  #8

My new bike came with a pair of Hans Dampfs mounted. Google is showing me prices from $58 -$92, I guess that's the difference between not having them in stock and having them in stock. I hope they're decent tires...

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

Board footera