cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/13/2021 9:11 pm  #1

Bricks

For as long as I remember a be described as comparable to a brick shithouse was a compliment.
But how/why/when did a brick shithouse become a desirable thing of beauty?
Truthfully I don't think I've ever actually seen a brick one.

This book was written in 1878 on brickwork and it's fancy patterns. At the time brick was the answer to densely populated fire resistant blocks of housing for workers close to the mills where they labored.
Building bigger, taller, stronger, more permanent office buildings was lucrative.and bricks the key.
That is until steel framing and elevators kicked bricks to the curb. They got pretty ornate in their heyday.
{I thought it was hayday but checking there's a fucking game called Hay Day and that's all google can see. Digging around the dictionary says heyday.)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/15/2021 1:22 pm  #2

Re: Bricks

Brick masonry was (is?)  an incredible skill and art both.
It combines hard labor, precise measurement, materials handling and intuitive engineering.
My growing lack of interest in advanced mathematics combined with the semester-long construction of a beautiful brick building outside the classroom window ended my college physics major.
Years later I discovered the effectively abandoned steam power plant at the local state hospital.
The brick work on the two huge boilers, from the early 1900's, was exquisite and perfect.
The current owners offered one or both of them to me essentially free, but they were about a thousand tons bigger than I thought I could deal with.

The great pictures here are fun to look at and make it plain that the worst thing heard during their construction would have been "whoops."

11/15/2021 11:31 pm  #3

I have a couple tons of brick stored / currently stacked neatly at my house in Seattle but I'd love to have them trransported to where I am now.  I think I'm gonna have to pay in dollars or ibuprophen.... or both.

interestingly, the bricks were reclaimed from seismic upgrade project done by one of my previous employers on a structure in downtown Seattle.  They cut the corner off of a rectangular building to make the building parallel to the street... but where did the triangular remnant of the building go?  Into my backyard..and into a pathway. and into a couple of large stacks of surplus vintage brix.

oh well.

Be Just And Fear Not

11/17/2021 2:29 pm  #4

The ornamental brickwork in these chimneys catches the eye....

It's in Aston Clinton SE of Aylesbury.
It's a while since I've passed the location but I recall that the house is called 'Chimneys'.
Perhaps they ran out of imagination after designing all that brickwork.

See it in close up: [url=https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.8028495,-0.7369449,3a,37.3y,197.75h,97.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRltnyeS1UFShxtDlGBQBBA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en]Street View.[/url]

11/17/2021 2:54 pm  #5

I've always been fascinated by this apartment building at 2237 Melrose, corner of 22nd in Chester, PA.
It was old when I first drove by it near 60 years ago. It's even rougher than it looks in these street view grabs, with crooked bricks, protruding bricks, and burnt black bricks.
It makes me wonder if there's a cool story behind it because the brickwork is universally bad all over.
Maybe it was dispute with a shady lawyer and gangsters and a moll with legs up to here.
Maybe commie or nazi spies posing as bricklayers to sabotage our infrastructure... silly fools we can do that ourselves.
I doubt even as an apprentice project that would have been allowed to stand.

11/17/2021 2:56 pm  #6

Carruthers, do you think those chimneys were designed rather than letting the masons have a free hand?

11/17/2021 3:39 pm  #7

Heh... maybe union workers showing what happens if you refuse to use union labor.

11/17/2021 5:24 pm  #8

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Carruthers, do you think those chimneys were designed rather than letting the masons have a free hand?

Definitely part of the design. Probably the best known examples are at Hampton Court Palace on the SW edge of London.

Chimney Conservation at Hampton Court Palace. Additional short video within.

The Decorative Chimneys of Hampton Court Palace.

Last edited by Carruthers (11/17/2021 5:25 pm)

11/18/2021 4:18 pm  #9

I love Bruce's Chester building.  I bet it was done on purpose by a skilled person.  How can you make something look as organic as that and still have plumb walls and straight corner lines?  That's serious talent.  A hack would be trying to get lines straight and but not quite succeeding and you would see uneven lines.  This thing is like one of those restaurants that they deliberately paint to look distressed like some sort of old Greek ruin.

11/19/2021 6:53 am  #10

https://books.google.com/books?id=LmsSbtlcD7EC&pg=PA235&lpg=PA235&dq=intentional+messy+brick+work&source=bl&ots=wH7jWDP5LT&sig=ACfU3U3COr1hyKnhRIEYTBIwW8tfDtwMXQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi7zKbcq6T0AhXIq3IEHXiRDSkQ6AF6BAgFEAM#v=onepage&q=intentional%20messy%20brick%20work&f=false

Rabbit hole of interesting brick work. Some of it may be an offshoot of Brutalism. There is a thing called Weeping Mortar as well. I like it a lot as opposed to super clean brick laying. A little texture is pleasing.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/19/2021 1:19 pm  #11

There are two brick chimney sculptures that I have  always liked.
This may be one of them in the strangest Wikipedia article ever:
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimney_(sculpture)

I don't know if I screwed up the link, but there is no photo!

11/19/2021 5:12 pm  #12

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Fred Dibnah was a steeplejack from Bolton, Lancashire, who came to public attention in the late 1970s/80s when he featured in a TV series about him and his work.
As the textile industry shrank Fred's job changed from maintaining mainly mill chimneys to demolishing them which, if nothing else, made good TV viewing.
Anyway, here he is climbing a 300' mill chimney. Viewers of a nervous disposition should probably do something else for the next few minutes.

11/20/2021 6:27 am  #13

Dayum, that's a narrow ladder (@ :17)!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

11/20/2021 6:31 am  #14

Diaphone Jim wrote:

I think this is what he meant to link to:

Chimney

ETA:  Could not find a pic of the sculpture.

Last edited by TheNeverWas (11/20/2021 6:36 am)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

11/20/2021 1:40 pm  #15

Looks like I screwed up the screwed up.
Getting better at that.

11/20/2021 2:58 pm  #16

If you go to googles "intentional messy brick work" as griff did, then click on images, it brings up all manner of intentional cockeyed masonry.  I followed one rabbit hole to "clinkers"

"When fired in early brick kilns, the surface of bricks that were too close to the fire changed into volcanic textures and darker,  often purplish colors. Typically they were discarded but around 1900, these bricks were discovered to be usable and distinctive in architectural detailing, adding a charming earthy quality to buildings. The hardened residue of coal fires is called clinker, thus these mutant bricks found a name. In Europe, it is spelled klinker. "

Here's two examples, the building in Portland clearly shows it's intentional and know how to do normal on the rest of the building. The church in Edmonton is really extreme.

Board footera