cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/25/2021 1:21 am  #1

Things you didn't know you knew....

Way back when (pretty much 25 years ago), beest and I were writing our PhD theses.  Mine in cognitive Science, his in Metallurgy.  He wasn't the best at writing..... I'm OK, so I read that damn thing on new-fangled rare earth magnets so many times.... if I couldn't get to sleep, I'd joke "tell me about your thesis".......

I didn't forget the stuff.... I knew that.... NdFeB pops into my head all the fucking time....  but I had no idea how much I'd actually learned...

This week, it transpired that there is a big holiday lighting job coming up that causes the techs angst because the roof is metal (ferrous)  so they have to use magnet clips and the damn clips kept falling off last year under the weight of the snow.   The shit that came out of my mouth about what type/size/shape of magnet they really needed was like I had been possessed.  We have ordered a butt-ton of new clips.  i hope I was right!  (but I think I was ;) )

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/25/2021 1:23 am  #2

Re: Things you didn't know you knew....

(I even took magnets in that we use as fridge magnets to demonstrate ... I think they were sold on my previously unknown knowledge when one tore through the bag to attach itself to the filing cabinet) when I accidentally held it too close.... 

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/25/2021 7:52 am  #3

Ha! We done. Unfortunately, my shit typing skills ended up filling Pete's head with factoids about the American Civil War an outcome not yet proven useful.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/25/2021 11:55 am  #4

Back when I was doing voiceover work, I learned a ton of stuff from corporate training modules--how to inspect a Liz Claiborne overseas factory for secretly abusing their workers, how to pick products in a Frito Lay factory, how to estimate materials costs for a new home development... but the only thing I remember from that one is that you should never offer stucco as an option anywhere except Arizona and Florida.

Board footera