cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/11/2021 1:06 am  #1

Vinyl Comeback

Vinyl growing like topsy, kicking the hell out of CDs.
But in perspective vinyl, CDs, and Cassettes total a pisshole in a snowbank compared to streaming.
But it may be a good time to unload a couple turntables and a thousand vinyl albums. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

12/11/2021 1:14 pm  #2

Re: Vinyl Comeback

I only have a hundred fifty or so (three, including 45's).  The working parts are still in pretty good shape but the covers are, shall we say, worn.
Two questions: 
Which one would you save if you if you only could one?
How many grooves on a typical 33?

The first question is NOT easy.
I have an Andres Segovia I like a lot; and a John Hurt.

12/11/2021 3:45 pm  #3

Toad, thanks for doing the math.  The context is helpful in understanding this stuff.

I remember reading an article years ago with Jack White about him getting into vinyl record production, and just not getting it.  I still don't.

But I also don't get Bitcoin and NFTs so I'm consistent in my befuddlement.

12/11/2021 8:18 pm  #4

Diaphone Jim wrote:

I only have a hundred fifty or so (three, including 45's).  The working parts are still in pretty good shape but the covers are, shall we say, worn.
Two questions: 
Which one would you save if you if you only could one?
How many grooves on a typical 33?

The first question is NOT easy.
I have an Andres Segovia I like a lot; and a John Hurt.

Both questions easy.

1 -- Lambert, Hendricks, and Ross, The Hottest New Group in Jazz

2 -- One.  

eta color change for my answer to question two.  highlight to spoil.

Last edited by BigV (12/11/2021 8:20 pm)

Be Just And Fear Not

12/12/2021 3:07 am  #5

The calculations on the albums were $7 to produce and the band sells direct to their fans at shows for $25, so that would be $180. I don't remember what streaming was paying then if they mentioned it. Oh wait duh, that would be $180 divided by 450,000 = 0.00072.

12/14/2021 11:35 am  #6

There was a world before streaming. A lot of bands were locally famous but never known two states away. The Philly area had several like Supaheat and Children of the Night, that played weekly on one of the local circuits and at the shore in the summer. Never make Bandstand or Ed Sullivan but made a good living... and chicks for free.

12/14/2021 9:11 pm  #7

Undertoad wrote:

snip-
...touring on their reps with lead singers who can no longer even stand up to perform,
--snip 

LEAVE BB ALONE!

Last edited by BigV (12/14/2021 9:12 pm)

Be Just And Fear Not

12/15/2021 11:30 pm  #8

Today on the local next door site someone had two copies of Pink Floyd Animals for only $5 each.
The jackets looked like they'd been slid in and out of the rack about a million times, although some could be the neighbor sliding by. Could have been some seed sorting and joint rolling too, but likely the grooves in the disc are pretty smooth.

12/18/2021 6:03 pm  #9

Hold on there a minit, cowboy.

Not in any particular order...

But first, that Beach House track is boring.  Rhiannon is *much*, much more enjoyable.

Also, maybe you're judging the streams by the name of the account the song's posted under, and that's probably part of your point, but your statement that Beach House has more streams/plays/listens than those songs, even just one, "Rhiannon" is untrue.

I like music, but I'll never be mistaken as a musician.  s'ok, different strokes.  But you're not being very careful with your statistical tomfoolery.

Lastly, (for now), good to see you around outside the Tesla fence. 

Be Just And Fear Not

12/19/2021 2:45 am  #10

BigV wrote:

...good to see you around outside the Tesla fence. 

Hee!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

12/19/2021 3:29 am  #11

Beach House is like a LEGO song, make what you will of it.

12/21/2021 7:26 pm  #12

I love records

Anything analogue is beautiful.......

12/22/2021 7:32 pm  #13

He said on a website, typed from a computer....

Hi Dude, merry christmas!

Be Just And Fear Not

12/28/2021 4:40 pm  #14

Yes, but he didn't specify phonograph. 

I always tried to get the second play of an album onto a tape. The first play was looking   uh, listening for defects.
The copy on tape wouldn't have the quality of the record but would degrade a hell of a lot slower.

12/28/2021 7:57 pm  #15

Dude111 wrote:

I love records

So did Jim Thorpe and Jesse Owens.  You are among good company.

Board footera