cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/13/2020 3:19 pm  #1

Mayor Pete is a stone-cold killer

Have you seen what he does when you put him in front of a camera these days? He's such a smooth and charming talker, as polite and harmless looking as a boy-next-door from a Norman Rockwell painting. But there's a kicker-- he doesn't pull any punches. This guy is going places.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

10/13/2020 3:52 pm  #2

Re: Mayor Pete is a stone-cold killer

He's like the Lincoln Project guys, I never really was a fan but now that he's punching let's keep him in the ring.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/13/2020 7:39 pm  #3

I can see him being president

Hey! That's me up there!

10/13/2020 8:04 pm  #4

He was my boy from the start. I'm hoping he gets a secretary position. State's probably too much to hope for, given his age, but Housing would be a very justifiable choice, given his famous focus on housing issues in South Bend.

10/15/2020 6:55 pm  #5

Who is mayor Pete?

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

10/15/2020 7:08 pm  #6

Pete Buttigieg, former mayor of South Bend, Indiana. He ran for President but dropped out of the Democratic primary once Biden took a clear lead.

10/15/2020 7:24 pm  #7

I went to go see him at a rally held on the football field of my kids' high school.  The line was 4 blocks long to get in, and there was TSA style screening to enter, so I said fuck it and walked home, where I watched the live stream from my couch.  You can probably still find it online.

10/31/2021 1:07 pm  #8

A) and F), which is "They will still call him when they need to, leave or not."

Last edited by Happy Monkey (10/31/2021 1:08 pm)

11/01/2021 2:31 am  #9

I didn't say remote work, I said they'd call him, leave or not.

11/01/2021 1:36 pm  #10

If your claim is that anyone whose job allows any time off is an E) job, then by your definition I suppose most white collar jobs are.

Someone else is doing stuff he would have been doing while he's off.

There are some things that only the appointed official can statutorily do, so his leave is interrupted if something like that comes up.

A) and F).  Only E) if that applies to anyone allowed vacation or leave or anything else that other people cover while they're gone..

I'm not sure how leave rules apply to appointed positions vs career positions, so I won't comment on that.

11/01/2021 4:06 pm  #11

"this is fine dog" lol I'm stealing this

it's bad optics, because 1) bad timing, with current job-related issues 2) regular people don't get family leave, "why does he?"
it's good optics, because 1) raising awareness that regular people don't get family leave (and that gay people can have families)

And in terms of the debate about work/life balance, he's out-gunning career people like myself. I've sacrificed personal issues for my stupid job in which I'm very important in a small microcosm. But to be a big, important person and have major issues at you job, then say, "family comes first" is a power move, if that's what it is.

Last edited by Flint (11/01/2021 4:09 pm)

11/01/2021 5:56 pm  #12

I've also heard that Biden is big on family stuff--a memo to his team when he was VP about "if I hear you skipped an important family obligation for work I will be angry," or something along those lines. I can even imagine a scenario where Buttigieg was fine taking a week off, and Biden said hell no. Either way, I agree that heads of state largely do policy direction, not direct crisis management, thus he's not especially needed now more than at any other time.

11/01/2021 6:43 pm  #13

yeah, Zodiac went on vacation while a winter storm crashed the power grid
..he got so shamed that he apologized and came back..

the funny thing is-- I'll bet you a million dollars they never fixed the power grid

11/02/2021 2:25 am  #14

We've a woman on the ballot today running for common pleas judge. She arranged for a couple busses to take rioters to DC on January 6th for free. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/02/2021 11:24 am  #15

Undertoad wrote:

Happy Monkey wrote:

If your claim is that anyone whose job allows any time off is an E) job, then by your definition I suppose most white collar jobs are.

if that is what my claim is, but it isn't

Then it's not E). 

we want it that way, we don't want some political appointee to suddenly make a lot of rule changes and upset an apple cart that's a decade in the making

There is inherently political stuff at the top level of any government agency, and the appointee's job is to deal with that stuff and liaise with the rest of the executive branch. I'm sure whoever has to do it in his stead will appreciate it when he gets back.

Plus, as I mentioned before, the stuff that only the appointee can statutorily do, which they will interrupt his leave to do.

"rules for me but not for thee" ... i'm sure that when POTUS is your boss, it doesn't matter from the law's perspective, only what is enforced

the powerful may opt in or out depending on what is politically expedient, it has always been so

Sure, but that's similar to high level (and not-so-high-level, but in demand) people in corporations getting hired and starting with credit for a certain amount of seniority.  POTUS is only relevant if he's actually breaking rules, not if the rule is that appointments (or some other category of high-level executives) get seniority of some sort.  And I don't know the answer to that.

If the rule is that he can't, he should cancel the leave.  If the rule is that he can, he should set the example that if you have that right, you should not let any amount of shaming take precedence over family.  Too often, even though a worker may have the right to vacation, leave, a weekend, etc, a boss will try to shame them into giving it up.

Board footera