cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/23/2021 11:32 pm  #1

Solstice

The winter solstice to be exact, the shortest day in the northern half of the world but the length of the shortest day depends of where you are. The solstice is about 10 hours and 50 minutes in Honolulu but only 3 hour and 42 minutes in Fairbanks Alaska.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/03/2022 5:59 am  #2

Re: Solstice

I tend to look forward to the Winter Solstice somewhat more than I do Christmas or New Year.
You won't find me down at Stonehenge dancing naked in celebration (pause for the nation to offer up a prayer of thanks) but I do find winter increasingly difficult with each passing year.
On December 21st sunrise here was at 0803 and sunset at 1553 = 7hrs 50min of daylight.
A fortnight on it's 0805 and 1604. Yes, we've gained nine minutes.
It's slow progress but at least we are going in the right direction.

I've just paused to look at how much difference in daylight hours there is between the northerly and southerly extremes of the UK at the winter solstice.
Lerwick in the Shetland Isles at 60N has to make do with 7hrs 6mins, but at the other end of country at Lands End (50N) they luxuriate in 8hrs 48mins. The lucky devils.

I don't know how the Scandinavians tolerate the winter months in the far north.
In those circumstances I think I would probably drink myself into an alcoholic stupor.
Please note I am teetotal!

Last edited by Carruthers (1/03/2022 6:00 am)

1/03/2022 6:48 am  #3

My Swedish friends seem to spend a lot of time in Southern Italy. I've found that time spent in/on the snow helps with the shortened days. It's the burning daylight working that gets me down.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/05/2022 6:56 pm  #4

Playing in the snow is vigorous exercise so when the Sun goes down resting is not an unwelcome change....
at least until she wants to warm her feet on your back. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/05/2022 9:14 pm  #5

Carruthers wrote:

I tend to look forward to the Winter Solstice somewhat more than I do Christmas or New Year.

--snip--
me too
--snip--

Carruthers wrote:

I don't know how the Scandinavians tolerate the winter months in the far north.
In those circumstances I think I would probably drink myself into an alcoholic stupor.

You misunderestimate the powah (and comfort) of stupordity.

Carruthers wrote:

Please note I am teetotal!

condolences (and more for me, thanks bro!)

Be Just And Fear Not

Board footera