cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/10/2022 12:29 am  #1

Apple is pissing me off again

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/10/2022 8:02 pm  #2

Re: Apple is pissing me off again

Getting pisse off is only an emotion. How does one detect this thing?  That is relevant.

1/11/2022 9:58 am  #3

Re: Apple is pissing me off again

Your iphone tells you that you are being tracked.

Don't have an iphone?  Oh well.

Tracked by another party's device that doesn't follow Apple iOS rules?  Not sure if they exist yet, but it's only a matter of time.

There seems to be an increase in these stories lately.  I wonder if a recent update to Apple's iOS makes the "you're being tracked" alert more obvious.

The state of the art in May, according to Washington Post:  "To discourage what it calls “unwanted tracking,” Apple built technology into AirTags to warn potential victims, including audible alarms and messages about suspicious AirTags that pop up on iPhones. To put Apple’s personal security protections to the test, my colleague Jonathan Baran paired an AirTag with his iPhone, slipped his tag in my backpack (with my permission), and then tracked me for a week from across San Francisco Bay. 

I got multiple alerts: from the hidden AirTag and on my iPhone. But it wasn’t hard to find ways an abusive partner could circumvent Apple’s systems. To name one: The audible alarm only rang after three days — and then it turned out to be just 15 seconds of light chirping. And another: While an iPhone alerted me that an unknown AirTag was moving with me, similar warnings aren’t available for the roughly half of Americans who use Android phones."

Board footera