cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2022 7:48 am  #1

What's the most beautiful thing you've seen today?

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/20/2022 8:20 pm  #2

Re: What's the most beautiful thing you've seen today?

Be Just And Fear Not

1/20/2022 8:51 pm  #3

Be Just And Fear Not

1/20/2022 10:05 pm  #4

Apparently he does not know an LED bulb will not warm hands.

1/20/2022 10:07 pm  #5

the LED bulbs I install all have substantial heatsinks.

Be Just And Fear Not

1/21/2022 8:25 am  #6

BigV wrote:

Thank you for becoming a future casualty in the fight against fake news.

Last edited by griff (1/21/2022 8:26 am)

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/24/2022 12:02 pm  #7

What's the most beautiful thing you've seen today?

This morning when Monster (my cat, not the dwellar) came trotting across the yard, her long hair was shining in the sun, and bouncing and waving...

Looked like a pet shampoo commercial.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

1/24/2022 1:10 pm  #8

BigV wrote:

The heatsink is its ceramic base.  LED bulb consumes less than 10 watts.  Most of that energy goes into light.  Incandescent bulb of similar intensity is 100 watts.  Puts somewhere around 70% of that energy into heat.  One is hot - maybe 70 watts.  Another is cool - single digit watts.  Numbers say so - and by how much.

1/24/2022 8:01 pm  #9

https://www.lifx.com.au/blogs/the-latest/how-hot-are-led-light-bulbs

How hot are LED light bulbs?Hot to the touch, but not nearly as hot as Incandescent, Halogen and CFL bulbs are. LED light bulbs are one of the latest and most efficient lighting technologies. High powered lighting LEDs generate light at a much lower running temperatures than the hot filament used in previous generation bulbs. The hottest outside surface of an LED light bulb is often half the temperature of an equivalent brightness Incandescent or Halogen bulb, and around 20% cooler than CFL bulbs.

Should I touch my LED light bulb when it’s on?LED light bulbs should be handled by the diffuser – the plastic dome that the light shines out of. When it’s lit or hot, don’t touch or handle LED light bulbs by the heat sink.Heat sinks on LED light bulbs are designed to get hot, drawing the heat out of the LEDs and transferring the heat into the air. It’s the hottest part of the bulb, and for good reason – the heat sink is designed to be the hottest part, while keeping the LED power supply and electronics as cool as possible.

Okay, but how ‘hot’ is hot?In development and testing, we found that the heatsink of a fully lit LED bulb was around 60°C-100°C (140°F-212°F) depending on the make and model of the LED bulb, room temperature, and airflow. Here’s a thermal camera image analysis including some representative top brand-name samples of LED light bulbs – purchased new last week from the supermarket and hardware store. Brighter yellow is a higher temperature.

Last edited by griff (1/24/2022 8:02 pm)

1/24/2022 8:04 pm  #10

Last edited by griff (1/24/2022 8:04 pm)

1/24/2022 9:29 pm  #11

LEDs themselves don't get very hot, but the power supply adapting an LED bulb to a socket designed for incandescent bulbs does.

It's not super-efficient to do that conversion at each individual bulb.  But it's being not super-eficcient with less total power than an incandescent bulb uses at an even lower efficiency.

1/25/2022 10:26 am  #12

I just shot the LED lamp behind me with an infra-red thermometer.

184 degrees

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

1/25/2022 11:20 am  #13

Seems like you could warm your hands on that.

1/25/2022 12:03 pm  #14

But can you EZ Bake?

1/25/2022 5:26 pm  #15

Maybe Easy Dehydrate.

1/29/2022 7:57 am  #16

I wouldn't want it in m'pants...

Board footera