cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/04/2020 12:26 pm  #51

Re: How Dangerous is this Q Business?

Also, though they might not be as prepared for a good time as BLM, Qanon has them beat in death threats and intimidation tactics.

Weaponized Funk

12/04/2020 2:37 pm  #52

Undertoad wrote:

You sure? A major American city basically declined to intervene and gave them 6 city blocks to play with until they killed two people within a week.

Who killed the two people, specifically?

And there's this, of course.

https://www.propublica.org/article/for-election-administrators-death-threats-have-become-part-of-the-job

Weaponized Funk

12/04/2020 2:38 pm  #53

They let right-wing extremists occupy a federal facility for over a month, have a bloody shootout with authorities, and they got off with probation.

Last edited by Flint (12/04/2020 2:40 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

12/04/2020 2:41 pm  #54

Flint wrote:

They let right-wing extremists occupy a federal facility for over a month, have a bloody shootout with authorities, and they got off with probation.

That's different.  For reasons which concern neither you nor I.

Weaponized Funk

12/17/2020 2:48 pm  #55

Police in Houston arrested a former Houston Police captain on Tuesday, charging him with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon for allegedly running an appliance repair truck off the road and holding its driver at gunpoint in a failed bid to find fake ballots. The former cop, Mark Aguirre, had been hired by the Liberty Center for God and Country, a conservative group led by Republican megadonor Steven Hotze, to find evidence of the widespread voter fraud conservatives baselessly believed was being carried out in Harris County, The Texas Tribune reports.

source

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

12/17/2020 3:09 pm  #56

Dude was fired for being too big an asshole for the Houston Police Department. Just how big an asshole would you need to be?

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/19/2020 4:27 pm  #57

They fired him for a raid arresting 303 people mostly for trespassing and curfew violations in a Kmart parking lot.

So now he was working for the Liberty Center for God and Country.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/15/2021 4:20 pm  #58

https://medium.com/curiouserinstitute/a-game-designers-analysis-of-qanon-580972548be5

Q is NOT a whistleblower. Q is a “plot device”. [i]Q is fictional and acts exactly like a fictional character acts. This is because the purpose of Q is not to divulge actual information, but to create fiction.[/i]

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/16/2021 7:47 am  #59

Oh wow, what a fascinating article. Thanks Griff

1/16/2021 8:26 am  #60

It's interesting how the constant attacks on the "lamestream media" nest very nicely with this. Even outsiders who don't go down the rabbit hole support the game by attacking journalism.

1/16/2021 9:36 am  #61

Some of the comments on youtube vids (weird shit that has started popping up in my feed) are truly surreal - they are talking in code with each other - only some of which I get as have read about particular slogans and beliefs of Qanon conspiracy - it's quite disturbing. Their reality looks like a really scary place, full of powerful agents of evil abroad in the land. 

1/16/2021 10:00 am  #62

From personal experience religious people seem particularly susceptible. There seems to be a lot of seemingly disorganized events and ideas held together only in their heads, but very much labeled good vs evil. It's reaching out into more traditional conservative spaces...

1/16/2021 11:36 am  #63

Q learned it from watching you

man, don't inject reason into the discussion

do that and shit don't get wrecked

ignore toad...get back to the my shit don't stink line of feelin'

1/16/2021 1:10 pm  #64

I thought the doubts were about the information people had going into the polls not the outcome.

1/17/2021 10:02 am  #65

Undertoad wrote:

That's good nuance, but once the word "hacked" was thrown about, by 2017: Poll: Dems don't accept Trump as legitimate president

According to data from the latest Harvard-Harris poll provided exclusively to The Hill, 68 percent of voters said Democrats have not accepted that Trump won fairly and is a legitimate president.

~ but all this is "whataboutism" and can be ignored ~

Wait a fucking minute, that 's about misleading as it gets. The poll didn't ask people if they accepted trump, they asked if people thought other people accepted trump. Opinion, speculation, crystal ball, how do these people know what other people feel? Just because someone doesn't like the election outcome, and doesn't like trump, doesn't mean they think he didn't win and is not legitimately the pres.

1/17/2021 11:39 am  #66

OK  3 people out of 300 odd million say it was fishy.
The Guardian was whining about exit poles. Yeah, the lottery is crooked because they didn't draw the number my fortune cookie said would win.
Personally I think the Russians and probably others like Israel, China, Nigeria, the people who want to remind you your vehicle extended warranty has expired, tried to influence the outcome, but I doubt they actually managed to tamper with ballots. But what about the 1% and corporations doing the same thing. Is that acceptable, sure it is, it's damn near tradition. That run off senate election in GA,  $800,000,000 spent on just the runoff for two seats. That's obscene, think of all the good that money could do.
The Constitution and the voting system was written by landed(rich) men who wanted to protect their interests from the rabble, and it's still working.

1/17/2021 12:12 pm  #67

Undertoad wrote:

Pretty sure we have three people right here and my last link says it was the majority of people under 30

Somehow you have confused 'extensive lies to deceive voters' with 'ballot tampering'.  Clearly Russia was influencing Americans by promoting lies.  Successfully targeted people who so easily believe lies.  That says nothing about ballot tampering.

Same disinformation is again trying to claim ballot tempering when none exists. Nobody (who is honest) is talking about ballot tampering.  Honesty is talking about the so many who lie. Where do you even once criticize those liars - who then create Qanon and other hate groups.  Same liars even blame antifa as if they were Jews.

The Russians successfully promoted hate using lies to get the president they wanted.  That was never in dispute.  Why do you now deny it?  Why do you now confuse that with ballot tampering?

1/17/2021 12:25 pm  #68

The Constitution and the voting system was written by landed(rich) men who wanted to protect their interests from the rabble, and it's still working.

now, my good friend flint sez the constitution is all about the common good but my good friend bruce sez the constitution is all about protectn' rich men

I'm so confused

help me, obi-wan, er, I mean, tw...you're my good friend...you won't steer me wrong

1/17/2021 12:53 pm  #69

Undertoad wrote:

Sparky, follow along harder; I'm reporting poll results here;.

You are manipulating words to claim others are talking about ballot tampering. 

Delegitimate due to ballot tampering and delegitimate due to manipulation by disinformation.  Democrats were talking about disinformation campaigns.  Qanon is claiming ballot tampering.  You have, so some reason, lumped the two together using word association.

I have no problem making this quite nasty for you if you keep being an asshole.  Stop with the insults now.

1/17/2021 3:59 pm  #70

Hey UT, 

There's a lot of crosstalk here, I find it difficult to follow.  Obviously you and tw are wrasslin over stuff.  But I want to try to clarify some of the you have posted.

It seems like you're trying to compare some reports from the election in 2016 and the election in 2020, specifically around the word "illegitimate".  I read the report at the heart of the link you posted about the majority of young people feeling Trump's election was illegitimate.  The report doesn't have the word illegitimate in it anywhere, that's from the report of the poll, something that first appears in the reporting, at CNBC.    Not really a direct reflection of those polled.  And, they polled 200 people in Chicago, 57% of which said something interpreted by CNBC as "Trump is illegitimate".  That's a bit of a stretch.

And speaking of a stretch. while the election of Trump in 2016 and the election of Biden in 2020 were both legitimate, the responses by those who disbelieve was wildly disproportionate.  People who can't/won't believe the truth is one problem, but when a group of those people, for that reason attack the Capitol, that's apples and atom bombs.  Donald Trump capitalized on their ignorance and stupidity.  His actions were criminal.  Any attempt to equate them is dishonest.

Be Just And Fear Not

1/17/2021 8:06 pm  #71

Undertoad wrote:

It IS hard to follow.

It was always this simple.  UT now associates 'disinformation to subvert an election' with 'ballot tampering'.  Since he cannot defend that mistake (what Fox News orders him to believe), then he posts profanity and insults.  Quite a change from the UT some 30 years ago when he was a moderate and informed.

CNBC report cites disinfomation.  How does that do 'ballot tampering'?

He now takes a next step in a 30 year transition from moderate to extremist.  Posting personal insults and profanity because he cannot defend 'Fox News' lies.  The issue remains quite simple.   'Disinformation' has no relationship to 'ballot tempering'.  One can manipulate an election with lies so that a corrupt man becomes president.  A blatant lie about ballot tampering exists to subvert democracy and the Constitution. Completely different issues that he combines using the word 'legitimate'.

He will post more insults and profanity.   Real men discuss facts in a logical manner.  And not their emotions. 

Undertoad wrote:

My position is that the media* became less trustworthy as a source for explanations of the state of the world, 

UT also said that when mainstream media got it right.  When Fox News lied.  UT insisted Saddam had WMDs even after George Jr publically admitted those did not exist.  UT would not listen to and again disparages honest news sources.

Proganda news media routinely gets things wrong.  That is their purpose.  UT refused to learn even when mainstream media got the Katrina disaster right.  UT recited what are well known lies from propagand news services (ie Fox News).  Mission Accomplished war made those liars obvious almost 20 years ago.

Last edited by tw (1/17/2021 8:19 pm)

1/17/2021 9:42 pm  #72

Undertoad wrote:

It IS hard to follow.

This whole thing is a challenge to Griff's assertion that people who attack the media* are partly responsible for people believing in Q.

I am showing that the media* is actually responsible.  My position is that the media* became less trustworthy as a source for explanations of the state of the world, so people turned to themselves, and unofficial sources. My position is also that the status of the election is particularly a problem for the media*, because it spent two years promoting a conspiracy theory involving the legitimacy of the 2016 election. It is not ironic that the 2020 losers would come up with a conspiracy theory of their own. It is natural.

I would like to see the original GenForward report, may you please link it. If CNBC misreported the poll to make it seem like people find the 2016 election to be illegitimate, that might disprove my proof that a great number of people found the 2016 to be illegitimate in 2017. But it might also prove my point that the media* was pressing a narrative to try to de-legitimize the election.

In 2017, did YOU believe the 2016 election was legitimate?

*No, not ALL media, silly

The GenForward report, as requested:
https://genforwardsurvey.com/race-place/

I don't think it disproves your conclusion, I just think it's ... I think it's a bit of an embellishment.  Their survey had 200 participants, all from the Chicago area--hardly a big sample, hardly a widely distributed sample.  and 57% of 200 is 114.  114/200 isn't ...  it's not a landslide.  And, more confounding, I was not able to find the wording of their question, which I consider important.  So I do not challenge your statement or your citation, I just don't think it's very strong.  

I like to hear your thoughts on "the media*".  UT, you are a smart man.  That is objectively true.  You have a good command of the language, you have a well developed sense of normal human decency.  This is where the "but..." comes in.  I'm just writing this in real time.  I don't feel a "but..." coming on.  We do not have the same political worldview.  I think our values overlap a lot.  But (goddamn it) because of that difference I really want to talk with you about .. ok, here's the real "but" wtf is happening "over there" outside my own difficult to perceive and compensate for bubble.  I truly want to know what's going on in the world. I have my senses, true, but they're limited and fallible.  And limited.  I don't live where you live, I don't see what you see, I don't read (all) of what you read.  I trust you, I consider you a valuable source of information about what's happening where you are.  And I kind of like you, despite our differences.  I didn't make up "we can disagree without being disagreeable", but I'd steal it if I could. I believe in that.  I think we disagree on some things.  But I don't wish to be disagreeable.

There are a lot, no, really a LOT of sources out there in "the media*" now and discerning the wheat from the chaff has always been hard, it's harder now.  "the algorithms" I casually referenced in a recent post are a big gear in this machine, this machine that feeds us what we consume (through our "feeds", omg, some data scientist is still having LOLs from that naming convention choice).  I try to vary my diet, but a lot of people don't try super hard and stick to what's sweet and salty and pay a price.  Know what I mean?

So, I don't think that "the media*" is as actively complicit as I think you think they are (which is garbage from the jump, how the fuck do we even measure that???), but I think the pressure to generate revenue is underappreciated by whose who consume and click. ---- giant side note here ----- thank you for never monetizing the posts on the cellar back in the day.  worthy of a whole HoF thread by itself, but should be mentioned here, not overlooked.  We read what we post, not what someone has paid $$$ for my eyeballs.  so, sincerely, thank you Undertoad.

Back to clicks.  I think the pursuit of them contributed disproportionately to the coverage of all things Trump back in the day you're asking about positive and negative. and ir-fucking-relevant. Trump XYz, click.  ABC Trump, click.  you repeat shit long enough, shit becomes real, tangible.  "Many people are saying..."  Click.  I understand the motivation, money, etc. survival, competition, etc.  It doesn't make it really real, just inescapable.

To your question: 

In 2017, did YOU believe the 2016 election was legitimate?
I did think the election was legitimate, but tragically flawed.  We can talk about this if you like.

Man, that's a lot.  I'm gonna submit before I lose the content.

Be Just And Fear Not

1/17/2021 10:42 pm  #73

is it possible that there is a range of what one might call "illegitimate", ranging from abstract ("the government is illegitimate, so no national election is legitimate") to like, "winning the electoral vote but not the popular is legally binding but not legitimate as a subversion of democracy" to like, "outside influence makes the election legal but illegitimate" to "outside influence makes the election illegal and illegitimate" to "the election was stolen and the results as reported are not even accurate and the whole election was illegitimate" ? i think maybe its important which one is being talked about. im not sure "illegitimate" is a useful measure overall, and as v says, knowing the wording of the question is important.

with that said. its very true that lots and lots of people on all sides of the political spectrum are losing trust in institutions (media, government, social, etc), but its often different institutions that different groups are losing faith in. sometimes it goes further than losing faith, obviously. but i think that people are responding to a lot of the same fears and problems and shortcomings of the status quo, that theres a lot of overlap in the roots of that (i.e. a real, actual breakdown in a lot of the institutions in american society, in one way or another, like the problems ut brings up about the media*) and that a lot of growing radicalism and/or nihilism all around is the result

Last edited by erika (1/17/2021 10:44 pm)

1/18/2021 10:18 am  #74

Undertoad wrote:

Are ya done? Was that it?

Good.  Post without insulting people and without posting cheapshots.  Now maybe we can have a adult discussion.

1/19/2021 3:32 am  #75

Smartass, there is a segment or the population who want to be reassured these people are real humans and not political robots. They don't want charts and numbers, polls, or projections, they want to know about sneakers, pets, hobbies..

Board footera