cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/23/2020 9:38 am  #1

How Dangerous is this Q Business?

I placed this in Philosophy because it seems to be fundamentally a religion.
If I have this right, it started as kind of a joke on 4 Chan evolved into a DeVinci Code type of game moved to 8 Chan and began to take itself seriously. It appears to prey on people's natural inclination to oppose child trafficking and is feasting on Facebook's dumb-ass algorithms pushing unstable people down a rabbit hole of ever crazier groups, at a time when folks are holed up due to the pandemic. Every now and then an unstable person kills someone but it appears to have enough adherents that GOP politicians sometimes give them a wink to secure their votes and foot soldiers. The thing is this one time a celebrity pushed a conspiracy about Barry Obama not being a citizen and it got him into office and this same person is celebrated as some kind of deity among the Q nutters, so what could go wrong?

Last edited by griff (10/23/2020 9:39 am)

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/23/2020 3:21 pm  #2

Re: How Dangerous is this Q Business?

The claims of Q are so far fetched and ridiculous how stupid do you have to be to buy that shit. Meanwhile Q or likely Qs at this point, enjoy the celebrity without the hassles of being known... kind of like Banksy.
Maybe they say well it's probably bloated but there has to be a kernel of truth... or just stupid.
But when some guy fights with his ex and refuses to return their kid,  see it's like Q said that's part of the huge movement  breaking the surface.

People are so desperate to be special, rather than put in the 10,000 hours they grab bullshit like Qanon and feel they are smarter than everyone else because they know this. Then they tell others to demonstrate they knew it first, because if they tell you before you tell them they steal all the points.
That's OK for board games but in the real world there are too many wackos to be sending out triggers wholesale.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

10/23/2020 4:33 pm  #3

I thought it was quirky and harmless when, several years back (pre-Trump) my Republican dad who had raised me on Scientific American, developed a taste for 'Ancient aliens' and 'secrets of the Pyramids' and such. In hindsight this was an alarming development. Following up on the erosion of trust in science created by global warming denialism, it seems that increasing levels of unfounded ideas were seeping into the realm of acceptability. And as fast as 'there being no arbiter of truth' created a vacuum of trusted facts, a deluge of alternative realities were rushing in to fill that void.

It's harmless when it's just aliens building the pyramids, but when it turns into "high-school social justice protestors are really Antifa/BLM terrorists" and the violence is escalating in our streets, and new militia plots to kidnap/bomb/murder/intimidate are popping up every day, you realize at last that erosion of reliable facts was a pretext for furthering the cause of fact-free, late-stage-capitalist fascism.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

10/25/2020 3:21 pm  #4

See, but--are you being serious, Sarge, or sarcastic? No one can tell anymore (with anyone, not just you), and that's part of the problem.

10/25/2020 10:40 pm  #5

How do you feel about your party being taken over by the nutjobs, and just completely rolling over for it? I'm not asking this as a gotcha, I really wonder how decent conservative Americans are feeling about having no place, no political home to claim affiliation to.

10/26/2020 10:26 am  #6

It doesn't matter how few they are if they win the primaries.

10/26/2020 4:00 pm  #7

There are aggressive bullies in my rural county whose main rationale could be summed up as "firearm ownership, Christian values, and law & order." I realize that not everyone who subscribes to these core values is going to take them to the extreme (violent threats, harassment, and indeed outright acts of violence/murder), but some do, and "some" is enough to ruin the quality of life for everyone who is within their geographical reach. An observed issue--not a hypothetical but a very real thing that happens with specific individuals in a community where everyone is on a first name basis-- is that moderate, reasonable conservatives often default to "siding with" the extremist provocateurs, because of these specific shared values as named above, and against "the others" who are assumed to be against these values. This caused very real and very damaging rifts in my community, as one group of people simply saying, "you can't threaten to murder people" results in them being identified as "the enemy" and results in them being followed to their home by lifted trucks, boycotted by armed mobs at their place of business, and generally living their life with a target on their back.

I don’t know how to explain this to someone who isn’t experiencing the same situation, but-- no one is “focusing on” the radicals—they focus on YOU. It’s not “the media” causing “hype” about fringe groups, it’s the armed and angry militia nuts that literally come and knock on your door if they don’t like what you’ve been saying. This has nothing to do with ratings or politics, it’s a matter of specific and credible threats to the life and safety of your family.

Last edited by Flint (10/26/2020 4:02 pm)

10/26/2020 6:58 pm  #8

Which groups do Law Enforcement Agencies recognize as a credible threat of domestic terrorism? I'm not talking about disagreeing with or being miffed off at people-- I'm talking about the literal use of deadly force as a tool of political intimidation. Terrorism.

Have you had your address doxxed and had death threats made against you or your friends/family? How many people do you know that have had to file police reports to document harassment and intimidation being made directly to their person? Has your mayor/city council/sheriff had to issue frequent public updates regarding efforts to address violence/threats/intimidation/harassment by specific named individuals who have a criminal record of political violence? Have you or any other concerned citizens been ushered into contacting a special liaison with local law enforcement because of the volume or terrorist threats? How many people in your area have had their throats slashed?

10/26/2020 9:08 pm  #9

Big Sarge wrote:

Flint, the things you say about militias equally apply to ANTIFA and BLM. These are the ones we see, forcing people to kneel and "say her name," intimidating people at restaurants, blocking streets, throwing rocks and bottles, looting, and committing arson. 

We have different perspectives based upon our locations. To you, the militias are a threat. For me, it is BLM and ANTIFA.

This is happening in your town?

10/28/2020 1:26 am  #10

Nobody has been able to point out just who Antifa is. I know it's a concept, a call to oppose all fascist movements, but nothing solid. Now BLM is a problem, it's been around for a few years and the people who are the face of BLM are self proclaimed Marxists, not wholesome good guys like us.  Now blm, the idea, the right thing to do, the concept supported by the majority of Americans is good, but unfortunately the two are intermingled and most people don't know the difference.

It's human nature, no matter why a crowd has gathered whether it's protesting the government or celebrating a Superbowl win by the home team, there will always be a few assholes causing trouble. If they're armed it's worse.

10/28/2020 12:13 pm  #11

Big Sarge-- thank you for sharing your first-person account.

10/30/2020 8:27 am  #12

If this poll is legit, this Q business is pretty dangerous.

Extremely long link I deleted it.

Last edited by griff (10/30/2020 8:28 am)

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/30/2020 10:18 am  #13

Qanon doesn't actually seem to be dangerous.  It is this year's "50 Shades of Gray," really.

Some of the militia groups are a different story (attempted kidnapping of a governor, etc).

Weaponized Funk

10/30/2020 10:57 am  #14

Undertoad wrote:

How dangerous are online-only polls?

very

10/30/2020 12:20 pm  #15

Wait, you forgot to account for "shy Trump voters"
If 50% admit their belief in batsh!t conspiracies, the real number should be much higher, right??

Last edited by Flint (10/31/2020 2:03 am)

10/30/2020 8:21 pm  #16

See but even the poll answers are nonsense: only 50% of Trump supporters believe "top Democrats are involved in X", but 52% believe "Trump is dismantling X that involves top Democrats"? Meaning 2% believe Trump is definitely dismantling something that they also aren't sure exists.

10/31/2020 4:52 am  #17

They might have answered don't know to the first question, and yes to anything good they're told Trump is doing. It depends on how the questions are worded.

10/31/2020 3:54 pm  #18

Yeah, that was a lazy share on my part. It's nonsense.

10/31/2020 8:41 pm  #19

None of the polls are gospel but they all have kernels of truth. The problem is you don't know how they were conducted.

But that's OK as long as they favor my guy. 

11/06/2020 7:37 am  #20

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/two-arrested-after-police-get-tip-of-convention-center-threat/2587411/

Police arrested two men in Philadelphia late Thursday after receiving a tip that they were making threats against the Philadelphia Convention Center, where the city's mail-in ballots are still being counted.Police were told the men were coming up from Virginia armed with AR-15s, police sources said. Police found their Hummer near the Convention Center; the car was decorated with stickers promoting the conspiracy theory QAnon.Police on the scene said weapons were recovered from the car, though they did not say what kind.

11/07/2020 8:25 am  #21

They did a manual recount and fixed the tally.

11/07/2020 8:02 pm  #22

don't worry, we know the first stage is "denial". you'll get there.

11/07/2020 9:18 pm  #23

replay of my emotions when Bernie lost the 2016 primary..

it's tough, I understand

11/08/2020 10:50 pm  #24

Take a look for yourself.

qalerts.app

Last edited by Slang (11/08/2020 10:55 pm)

Sometimes a comment is for my entertainment only, sometimes for supporting your thing. 

11/09/2020 7:04 am  #25

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Last edited by griff (11/09/2020 7:05 am)

Board footera