cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/28/2022 12:06 am  #1

Ugh... this whole job thing.....

So.... I've applied for at least a bajillion jobs since I stopped having one. two weeks before covid shut down the state and the country two years ago.  Mostly non-career time-fillers like the one I had, but some actually ...  ya know ....survivable....

Barely a fucking bite

Last July I got a "full time" non-career time-filler job out of the blue ("head-hunted" lol) but it was seasonal industry and I was laid off again at the beginning of December. Also, business is small and family-owned, so no bennies. They said they'd prob call me back mid/late Feb ish, but  ---long story--- I started back again on Monday. 

All this time, unemployment has been refusing my valid claim for stupid automated reasons.

On Tuesday, my employer opened a letter saying Unemp had finally OKd my claim, and I got home to find a similar letter and $$ in my bank account for the previous two weeks.

yay

This morning (Thurs), an email came through from the Uni of Mich for a job I applied for in the interim (a real, academic/admin bastard child career job) and went through 2 (terrifying) zoom interviews for early in Jan, and who told me they were super interested but then I lost hope because -whilst they reassured me these things take time- I've also heard that before an eventual tx-but-notx

I was at work (just) when  an email came through this morning, so unable to really read until I got home.  Please provide refs contacts. Email and text with contact permission from all.  You have 24 hours.  so about 14 left.

So I had to text my current boss about it, knowing she'd already most likely gone to bed and wouldn't get it until the morning..... and then put her in saying I had her permission for text contact etc......  

oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck and all that.  They needed 3 refs min, so i put in 4 and I really did have permission from the other three (one a few minutes after I submitted, but,,,)..... but UoM is slow and I wouldn't mind continuing to be employed until such a magical time as I start work for them......

I'mm'a get killt in the morning. 

and then fired and then killt again. 

I mean, they know (in their hearts) that this is not a forever job for me, and they are nice people.....  but they ain't gonna be happy..........Just hoping Bosslady will do the nice/right thing.  I think she will.... but talk about kicking them in the fucking teeth.  They're going through a major business model transition, and at the end of last year, when they were discussing the role of the office staff, it was all "office manager and monster-or-whoever" and the last few days it's been "OM and monster"

I am so dead.

Please toss a meatball to FSM for me ;)

incidentally, the scheduling app we used to use abbreviates to FSM, so -since my arrival- Office manager (boss' sister) and I have called it Flying Spaghetti Monster.  Reason for early rehire is because we are commuting to a new App and I am busy getting RSI manually transferring the customer data that won't port electronically.

This had better fucking mean they are offering the job if my refs are good.  Which the should be....

Last edited by monster (1/28/2022 12:09 am)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/28/2022 5:19 am  #2

Re: Ugh... this whole job thing.....

oh golly! Bosslady seems like a nice person from what you've said. She'll be bummed, but happy for you I'm sure.
Fingers crossed an' all that malarky. You know where I am if'n you want to vent further.

Living life on the edge.

1/28/2022 7:40 am  #3

It's going to be fine.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/28/2022 10:08 am  #4

You're doing good and will win in the end.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

1/28/2022 5:45 pm  #5

well I didn't get fired.  boss did the ref.  She was all "I don't understand half of these questions and I'm an HR person".  so now we wait another 20 years to see if I get an offer and if I do whether it's money I could actually live on.....

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/28/2022 6:07 pm  #6

may FSM's noodley appendage bless you with an extra sauce packet

ramen

ramaste?

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

1/28/2022 9:49 pm  #7

Good luck Monster.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

1/28/2022 11:54 pm  #8

thanks all.  I also feel bad because yesterday I told them the desk height was a problem for so much keyboard time and so they splashed out on a lowered shelf which should have arrived today (but didn't).  They are good peeps....... it's just not particularly ....challenging....  But they were pretty ok about it.  I see that 3 of the 4 refs I put in have responded already.   

I kind of have imposter syndrome about this job, but I know I never lied or over-sold myself and i totally have the skill set,  ....and they haven't even made an offer yet.  and the $$ could be too little (but I doubt it....) and I think the people who sent refs will do me good, so fettuccinis crossed....

anyhoo, at least i didn't get fired so I'm earning in the interim (and have to tell unemployment that after they finally fucking agreed to pay me..... ;) ) 

1/30/2022 6:29 am  #9

This is looking good! I’ll keep my noodles tangled for you!

Living life on the edge.

1/30/2022 7:55 am  #10

It's the folks without imposter syndrome I'm concerned about. You got this.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/09/2022 7:32 pm  #11

sooo.... they keep warning me it's slow, but I've started jumping at every email notification and dreading waking up to a midnight robo-rejection email. 

Got home from work today about 6pm.... answerphone message from the big cheese -the second interview person.  Please call me back but not between 4 & 5.  So I decided way too late to call.   I think I'll call in a little while and leave a voicemail and then  call first thing in the morning before  go to work.  I don't think she'd be calling with a thanks but no thanks but I'm scared to get my hopes up.  the last rejection I had this late in the game was not a robo-email but still by email.......I did not give my cellphone # because I don't pick up voicemail on that and not always able to take a call. eep.

2/10/2022 6:56 am  #12

Good luck!

2/10/2022 11:40 am  #13

Fingers crossed for you.

2/10/2022 12:03 pm  #14

nail biting stuff ... please keep us posted!

Living life on the edge.

2/10/2022 3:43 pm  #15

yeah, we're on the edge of our seats..
this is such a high-tension thing..

"..I'm sorry, I'm probably just making it worse" << me

2/10/2022 4:03 pm  #16

I GOT IT!

Took almost all day to connect with her. Gotta go home and craft my notice letter.... thank goodness I was in the office alone when she finally called back

2/10/2022 4:10 pm  #17

Living life on the edge.

2/10/2022 6:06 pm  #18

Excellent news.  Very well deserved!  You rock!

2/10/2022 6:14 pm  #19

monster wrote:

I GOT IT!

Took almost all day to connect with her. Gotta go home and craft my notice letter.... thank goodness I was in the office alone when she finally called back

AWESOME!!!!

2/10/2022 7:00 pm  #20

hey that's great ..!!

2/10/2022 7:17 pm  #21

YAY!

2/10/2022 8:44 pm  #22

Thank you baby FSM!

Congrats monster!  Well deserved, your patience and persistence has paid off, *again*.  Make a mental note of this moment, your future self will thank you.

BRAVA!!!

Be Just And Fear Not

2/10/2022 8:59 pm  #23

Most Duper!

Hey! That's me up there!

2/10/2022 9:21 pm  #24

Letter done.  I got a job, I got a job, I GOT A JOB!!  ...I got a fuckin' job! 

I mean this was just the verbal offer which I verbally accepted but

It's great... to be.. a Michigan Wolverine....

Last edited by monster (2/10/2022 9:29 pm)

2/13/2022 9:47 pm  #25

OMFG.  So here is how my last few days have played out.....  Friday just before end of business day, email with formal job offer contingent on background check by contracted company (as expected) ((it's real, it's real, it's REAL)), and email from said company to complete the info for the check.  No panic I do these all the time for my volunteering shit because I work with kids, right....?

email: Before starting the process, make sure you have handy your resume, paychecks and W2s from all previous employers, correct postal address from every place you've ever lived, your soc sec card, all diplomas and transcripts from your education.....etc. etc. etc........ you have 5 days to comply ....from yesterday.

It's a fucking Friday night, bitches.

OK, I have most of that shit, and I can find it over the weekend if I don't..... except for my PhD diploma.  Transcripts just weren't a thing back then in the old country in the old days. I have looked up getting one previously, but apparently my degrees are so old it will take a long time as they will need to construct it from the records.  And the cost will be $$a few hundred.  So I don't have one yet.  Ain't gonna happen in 4 days over a weekend, I'm thinking.

Anyhoo.... Whilst decluttering the basement over the past couple months, I found -quite oddly- Our PhD grad photos with our bachelors' diplomas (all framed) boxed up with some books we had decided didn't deserve room on the shelves but weren't ready to get rid of just yet.... (a) where were the other 4 frames, why weren't they all together? (b) why were they mixed up?  oh well, must be in another one of the book boxes I had not yet attacked.  Saturday: bajillion hours, so many book boxes searched (and donation piles achieved and trash and recyc cans brimfull)... but no joy.  Today, so many irrelevant but nearby boxes searched.  still no joy.  Ready to cry as a starter.... but yeah....  

Was showing Thunderboi what I was looking for as I had him come down and help me lift the sofa.... JIC I was overlooking the obvious, you know... noticed that I must have been on crack before. it was the PhD diplomas with the PhD pics, so.......

yebbut.  they said ALL......so onward because I still need the other degree cert  (am assuming for sanity/optimistically they don't want my A-level pass slips....)

Came up for a break and because he cats needed feeding and to at least fill in all the other stuff I could (Email made a point of saying you must save if you walk away, so I figured that was a thing I could do....)

I DID NOT NEED ANY OF THAT SHIT.

The only thing I needed that I did not know without even looking at a piece of paper was the phone # of the university i got my degrees from.

I hate them.  But i am done.  Unfortunately I can no longer get to my laundry area because I dumped checked boxes in front of it..... but I DON"T FUCKING CARE.  well I do, because the dryer load that's buzzing at me is the towels we use to mop up the meliting snow from our shoes/clothes/everything as we come in, but ya know.... I STILL DON'T FUCKING CARE, that bit is done.

I had visions of losing the job at the last moment because I couldn't prove my foreign education to a backgroundcheck bot.

Last edited by monster (2/13/2022 11:39 pm)

Board footera