cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/01/2022 5:09 am  #1

Today In History

1968 – Vietnam War: The execution of Viet Cong officer Nguyễn Văn Lém by South Vietnamese National Police Chief Nguyễn Ngọc Loan is recorded on motion picture film, as well as in an iconic still photograph taken by Eddie Adams.

One of the most iconic photographs of the 20th century.

2003 – Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrated during the reentry of mission STS-107 into the Earth's atmosphere, killing all seven astronauts aboard.

Last edited by TheNeverWas (2/01/2022 5:15 am)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

2/01/2022 12:40 pm  #2

Re: Today In History

TheNeverWas wrote:

2003 – Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrated during the reentry....

"We could not save them so we didn't try."

2/01/2022 4:47 pm  #3

Columbia was already disintegrating as it came over my house that morning.
I had watched and heard several other landings, but it was too cloudy to see this one.
Ordinarily there were two strong sonic booms, but Columbia only made one weak one.
Reports were already on the air by the time I came back in.

The exculpatory  story of the murder of the man on the Saigon street was invented by the US and Vietnamese propaganda machines.  It was BS and par for the course. 

2/01/2022 4:58 pm  #4

Not only was that story and picture accurate.  It demonstrated what right wing extremists did not want the public to know about the lie called Vietnam.  My Lai  just just another example of who the real enemy was in Nam.

I knew people, deployed to Nam, who would admit that Americans might rake a field in Nam to kill farmers. Since those farmers were gooks.  And therefore must be evil.

The brother of one noted that he would not talk about Nam until right after we all came out of the movie Apocalypse Now.

Last edited by tw (2/01/2022 5:00 pm)

2/04/2022 3:48 am  #5

Yeah Jim, I think tw's right this time, that picture is as real as it gets, however I have no way of verifying the victim is who they say he was.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/04/2022 9:54 am  #6

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

...I think tw's right...

Wh-

Wha--

Where am I?  What's happening?

First, Big V, now, you...

Is this a variant?  What's going on?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

2/04/2022 12:23 pm  #7

Bruce:  Ample historical information is available that the story behind the assassination of Mr. Lem was fabricated to justify it after the inconvenient "real as it gets" photo was made public.
It is a very small part of the huge lie that was the American war against Viet Nam.
Do you want to debate either part of this or just let it go?

2/04/2022 12:33 pm  #8

TheNeverWas wrote:

Where am I?  What's happening?

A substantial number of 20 to 36 year olds also do not know what the holocaust is or absolutely deny it.  I recall that number at about 30%. You need to start vetting your information sources.  So many need not be honest.  And are automatically believed.

To know anything about Nam means identifying the greatest enemy of the S Vietnamese people.  The government in Saigon.  That picture accurately identified the problem.  And why 50,000 American solidier were massacred there for no purpose.

That picture was and is accurate.  But so many are easily brainwashed by same techniques my father also used to manipualte the naive.

Last edited by tw (2/04/2022 12:38 pm)

2/04/2022 2:37 pm  #9

Whoa.  Your father.  Tell us about your father.

2/04/2022 2:52 pm  #10

tw wrote:

...so many are easily brainwashed by same techniques my father also used to manipualte the naive.

I knew something happened to you as a child.

I knew it.

2/08/2022 10:22 pm  #11

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Bruce:  Ample historical information is available that the story behind the assassination of Mr. Lem was fabricated to justify it after the inconvenient "real as it gets" photo was made public.
It is a very small part of the huge lie that was the American war against Viet Nam.
Do you want to debate either part of this or just let it go?

The picture is real, I read a couple of whys but really don't care why. He was an inconvenience to someone and in that time and place that's how they eliminated inconveniences. War zone, kill 'em all and let the war crimes tribunal sort 'em out.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/09/2022 4:41 am  #12

February 9

1913 – A group of meteors is visible across much of the eastern seaboard of the Americas, leading astronomers to conclude the source had been a small, short-lived natural satellite of the Earth.

1964 – The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a record-setting audience of 73 million viewers across the United States.

1986 – Halley's Comet last appeared in the inner Solar System.

2/09/2022 1:09 pm  #13

"let the war crimes tribunal sort 'em out"
Was there any thing close after that war?
The murderous General Loan ended up selling pizzas in Virginia as his reward.

2/09/2022 8:16 pm  #14

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Was there any thing close after that war?

Everyone involved in the My Lai massacre were exonerated.  Except Calley who was under house arrest for only three years.  When testimony said he alone probably kill 50 mostly women and children.

Massacres by American soldiers were said to be routine among the few - and never reported. 

Tom Glen, a 21-year-old soldier of the 11th Light Infantry Brigade, wrote a letter to General Creighton Abrams, the new MACV commander. He described an ongoing and routine brutality against Vietnamese civilians on the part of American forces in Vietnam that he had personally witnessed,

and

My Lai was first revealed to the American public on November 13, 1969—almost two years after the incident

.  Why?

Initially, three U.S. servicemen who had tried to halt the massacre and rescue the hiding civilians were shunned, and even denounced as traitors by several U.S. Congressmen, including Mendel Rivers (D-South Carolina), Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee.

and

General William C. Westmoreland, the head of MACV, also congratulated Charlie Company, 1st Battalion, 20th Infantry for "outstanding action", saying that they had "dealt [the] enemy [a] heavy blow"

Massacres in Nam (no where near as massive) twere rather routine according to a few I know who were there.  "We had to burn the village to save it."  That also was routine.

We are now beginning to learn that most Afghanistanis knew someone innocent and killed by American drones.  Those attacks were (apparently) justified by a same mentality.  With top management looking the other way - constantly.  Just another reason why Americans in Afghanistan were unpopular with (apparently) most of the population.

Last edited by tw (2/09/2022 8:18 pm)

2/10/2022 6:44 am  #15

Aaaand now I wish I'd never started this damned thread.

2/10/2022 12:38 pm  #16

TheNeverWas wrote:

Aaaand now I wish I'd never started this damned thread.

I wish you didn't feel that way.
I spent a year on the ground in Vietnam in the infantry.
One of the ways I have learned to deal with the legacy of my involvement (and perhaps help stave off PTSD) has been to read about the long and short term history of the war.
The military has and continues to do everything to whitewash it that it can. "Lessons learned" is one of their favorite terms for these self-serving attempts.
Folks that want that to be true loved Ken Burn's biased attempt to foster it.
So when the subject comes up, I feel compelled to jump in.
The photo you posted and its made-up justification should be a part of the lessons we still have to learn.
Jane Fonda's attempts to end US bombing of the North in particular and the war in general, for example, make her a hero and patriot, not a traitor. 

2/10/2022 6:16 pm  #17

On February 10, 1996, after three hours, world chess champion Garry Kasparov loses the first game of a six-game match against Deep Blue, an IBM computer capable of evaluating 200 million moves per second.  Man was ultimately victorious over machine, however, as Kasparov bested Deep Blue in the match with three wins and two ties and took home the $400,000 prize. An estimated 6 million people worldwide followed the action online.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/10/2022 7:03 pm  #18

I read a short article about how far the chess AI has advanced. There's a web portal somewhere where you can watch AIs playing each other all day long, and the game theory that they're basing their moves on is completely alien and indecipherable.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

2/11/2022 7:52 pm  #19

Flint wrote:

I read a short article about how far the chess AI has advanced.

Be quite clear about the purpose of all games.  In the Bell Labs (back when business school graduates had not yet started stifling innovation), a researcher was trying to develop a computerized chess game.

He got tired of compiling his program on a mainframe.  Chess inspired him to create his own OS for his mini-computer.  We all know what resulted.  Unix and its many variants - ie Windows and OSX.

Due to games in the 1960s, (and because MBAs were not implementing cost controls), what resulted was what was essential in, before and after 1990.

It takes that long for innovation to advance mankind. Purpose of a game is to learn and discover things that advance mankind.  Chess on a computer was a perfect example.

Why does that innovation from IBM (major accomplishments in AI resuting in a victory over Kasparov in1997) not result in highly profitable products?  We know it should

A fundamental fact found everywhere in the world.  85% of all problems are directly traceable to top management.   Why in hell was a salesmen Palmisano there for ten years.   Rometty then became chief executive in 2012 since she was Executive of Sales, Marketing & Strategy.  But she did push forward what remained stifled.  AI.  Which means games, first played in the 1960s, should now be appearing as world leading products from IBM today.

That is the purpose of games.

Last edited by tw (2/11/2022 8:10 pm)

2/12/2022 8:21 am  #20

Flint wrote:

I read a short article about how far the chess AI has advanced. There's a web portal somewhere where you can watch AIs playing each other all day long, and the game theory that they're basing their moves on is completely alien and indecipherable.

Now I won't understand the thinking of the humans or the machines.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/12/2022 8:26 am  #21

2/17/2022 12:43 pm  #22

Feb 17

1863 – A group of citizens of Geneva found an International Committee for Relief to the Wounded, which later became known as the International Committee of the Red Cross.

1864 – American Civil War: The H. L. Hunley becomes the first submarine to engage and sink a warship, the USS Housatonic.

1972 – Cumulative sales of the Volkswagen Beetle exceed those of the Ford Model T.

2/26/2022 9:03 pm  #23

Birthdays for Feb 27

1807 – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, 1902 – John Steinbeck, 1910 – Kelly Johnson, 1930 – Joanne Woodward, 1932 – Dame Elizabeth Taylor, 1934 – Ralph Nader, 1940 – Howard Hesseman, 1954 – Neal Schon, 1980 – Chelsea Clinton, 1981 – Josh Groban, 1983 – Kate Mara

2/28/2022 2:16 pm  #24

Feb 28

1953 – James Watson and Francis Crick announce to friends that they have determined the chemical structure of DNA; the formal announcement takes place on April 25 following publication in April's Nature.

1958 – A [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prestonsburg,_Kentucky_bus_disaster]school bus in Floyd County, Kentucky hits a wrecker truck[/url] and plunges down an embankment into the rain-swollen Levisa Fork river. The driver and 26 children die in what remains one of the worst school bus accidents in U.S. history.

1975 – In London, an underground train fails to stop at Moorgate terminus station and crashes into the end of the tunnel, killing 43 people.

1983 – The [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodbye,_Farewell_and_Amen]final episode[/url] of [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M*A*S*H_(TV_series)]M*A*S*H[/url] airs, with almost 106 million viewers. It still holds the record for the highest viewership of a season finale.

1993 – The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents raid the Branch Davidian church in Waco, Texas with a warrant to arrest the group's leader David Koresh. Four ATF agents and six Davidians die in the initial raid, starting a 51-day standoff.

Birthdays

1901 – Linus Pauling, 1906 – Bugsy Siegel, 1931 – Gavin MacLeod, 1939 – Tommy Tune, 1942 – Frank Bonner, 1942 – Brian Jones, 1945 – Bubba Smith, 1948 – Bernadette Peters, 1955 – Gilbert Gottfried

2/28/2022 2:43 pm  #25

interesting batch for today

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

Board footera