cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/04/2022 12:07 pm  #1

I think I bricked my pc

I have an HP slimline 260-a010 desktop (basically a laptop in a bigger case pretending to be a small desktop) It got stuck in an endless loop of trying to install a windows 10 update and I eventually had to reformat the hard drive which also wiped out the recovery portion of the drive. I've tried to reinstall the OS with a windows media creation tool and a disc image ISO.
I think part of the problem is the processor can only run an older, early version of windows, or perhaps a specific version of windows. I can't figure out the one that may work and there are quite a few of them.

HP support is useless and their website sucks. I tried to ask the question on their discussion forum and the form kept resetting while I was trying to fill it out.

Not sure if it's worth fixing but a new pc isn't in the budget, also not certain if buying a used pc is a safe bet. But I've been hamstrung using an mac laptop hand-me-down; I can't do anything and all their apps just suck or are too intrusive. The music app sucks, photo editing or viewing is stupid, doesn't work very well and it sucks. Everything Apple does sucks.

Hey! That's me up there!

2/04/2022 12:26 pm  #2

Re: I think I bricked my pc

Computers are a pain.  When your dishwasher breaks, society doesn't expect you to roll up your sleeves and fix it.  But with a PC, everyone expects you to know how to  fix that shit.  And it's harder than fixing a dishwasher.  If I wanted to be a computer expert, I would be a computer expert and get paid accordingly.  Fuck that.  Fuck computers.

2/04/2022 1:04 pm  #3

I've had older PCs bricked by an endless Windows 10 update loop. I feel your pain.
I've come to accept that Windows 10 just sometimes destroys an old computer and there's nothing you can do about it. Not that I was able to figure out.

Last edited by Flint (2/04/2022 1:05 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

2/04/2022 3:01 pm  #4

Head for the pawn shop.  Drop $150-$200 for the best laptop in that range. Then update (or go for the oobe fix) it til it works on today's interwebs.

Sorry, that's all I got.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

2/04/2022 3:01 pm  #5

Oh, and run every security product you can get your hands on.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

2/04/2022 10:10 pm  #6

The only thing I hate more than computers is Apple.

Hey! That's me up there!

2/04/2022 10:45 pm  #7

footfootfoot wrote:

I'll raise you Michigan drivers in the snow

OP TLDR but fuck updates. and windows. and yeah

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

2/05/2022 10:37 am  #8

image uploader

monster wrote:

footfootfoot wrote:

I'll raise you Michigan drivers in the snow

OP TLDR but fuck updates. and windows. and yeah

Hey! That's me up there!

2/06/2022 9:45 am  #9

How many did not have speed sensitive steering?

Board footera