cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2021 12:05 pm  #26

Re: Birb

When I asked about taking eagle eggs for eating, I had in mind the usually barely accessible nest location and the size and ferocity of the double-barreled defense.
Only an egg that has fallen from the nest would be safe, but would require good timing to catch.  

3/16/2021 12:33 pm  #27

It's a problem, because all those fish attract attention, from the scent. This pair did have a raccoon visit once, and an owl attack, everybody's looking for a meal...

3/16/2021 3:04 pm  #28

Undertoad wrote:

She means it! Once she has eggs, as she incubates, or watches over the young ones, she is constantly looking around, scanning the area for trouble. If anything happens, she must stay on the eggs or with the chicks to protect them, so she won't leave the nest to pick a fight; but she rears her head way back and does an urgent screech that alerts dad. "Hey get back here,  something's up."

What I wouldn't give to be able to tilt my head back and let out a shriek that Mr. Clod could hear all the way from his office. (Well, when he used to be in an office. These days he can hear me talking to my computer at a normal volume with the door closed...)

3/16/2021 9:06 pm  #29

footfootfoot wrote:

...such a majestic bird...

Behold, the majestic CA condor...

Last edited by Gravdigr (3/16/2021 9:08 pm)

3/16/2021 11:54 pm  #30

3/17/2021 5:53 am  #31

I totally saw that as a duck bill sticking out of a condors chest...

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/18/2021 12:46 pm  #32

Gravdigr wrote:

footfootfoot wrote:

...such a majestic bird...

Behold, the majestic CA condor...

Only a mother could love

Hey! That's me up there!

3/18/2021 2:53 pm  #33

Time's up for the 2nd Hanover egg, either unfertilized or not viable. Their chick will be an only birb.

3/18/2021 2:56 pm  #34

http://cellar.org/img/bebeiggle.jpg

3/19/2021 7:17 am  #35

That's a face.

3/19/2021 8:09 am  #36

It's the awkward family photo.

3/29/2021 12:52 pm  #37

Clodfobble wrote:

Undertoad wrote:

She means it! Once she has eggs, as she incubates, or watches over the young ones, she is constantly looking around, scanning the area for trouble. If anything happens, she must stay on the eggs or with the chicks to protect them, so she won't leave the nest to pick a fight; but she rears her head way back and does an urgent screech that alerts dad. "Hey get back here,  something's up."

What I wouldn't give to be able to tilt my head back and let out a shriek that Mr. Clod could hear all the way from his office. (Well, when he used to be in an office. These days he can hear me talking to my computer at a normal volume with the door closed...)

It turns out that if there is another eagle intruding, the male will stay at the nest and the female will go chase off the other bird.

It's all very fascinating. In bald eagles, the females are a little larger, so that might be why - or maybe it's considered a rival on rival thing, who knows!

4/01/2021 8:55 am  #38

Intruder alert.

http://cellar.org/img/angrybirbs.jpg

4/01/2021 2:10 pm  #39

The meal would definitely not be worth the fight.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/01/2021 6:44 pm  #40

Jehova's Witnesses, I guess?

4/02/2021 2:16 pm  #41

Intruder is another eagle - a juvenile, probably about 4 years old. What a capture somebody got today:

http://cellar.org/img/juvie-intruder.jpg

This nest had trouble with a juvie intruder last year. Amazingly one problem is that the area is saturated with eagles now, because it's a good nesting/fishing site, and so young eagles are fighting for this territory.

4/02/2021 2:35 pm  #42

It's from this longer video, which I hope I can embed with a time code 4 minutes in (Edit: OK, no I can't, just go to 4:00 in it, if you care to watch.)

She is tracking the intruder the whole time, but at four minutes the juvie heads right at the nest and she sounds off like crazy. She drives juvie off just by yelling at it and displaying her wingspan (which is huge, 5-6' btw). The intruder makes several passes before landing on the nearby branch. Dad never shows up, but we don't know the eagle rules here.

Last edited by Undertoad (4/02/2021 2:42 pm)

4/04/2021 11:29 am  #43

I am watching the Bald Eagle pair in Sauces Canyon on Santa Cruz Island for the third or fourth year.
They only have one hatchling this year and with the added nutrition it seems t double in size every day, with the accompanying maturing behavior.
I hope the spoiled little guy survives.

4/09/2021 4:43 pm  #44

No wonder it's getting crowded. This is a wild recovery. Due to the ban of DDT and of the clean water act ensuring plenty of healthy fish to catch in the water.

http://cellar.org/img/number-of-eagle-nests.jpg

7/22/2021 8:16 pm  #45

Well, taint no eagle, but, uh--whu--

HAH!!  Eagle taint!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now what was I saying?  It was, um...something....

Anyway, here's a story about a goose.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/23/2021 5:46 am  #46

My niece keeps one of these Cornell  cams playing in her office.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/cams/cornell-lab-feederwatch/

Board footera