cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/16/2022 2:04 pm  #1

Depp v Heard

Anybody else following this?

5/16/2022 2:20 pm  #2

Re: Depp v Heard

Unfortunately, yes. It cropped up in my youtube and reddit feeds despite me not keeping up with current events. So I learned that the entire human race is united in intensely hating Amber Heard for being an abusive, manipulating psychopath, and THEN--

I happened to search for this in the regular "news" and THERE-- I learned that "diehard Johnny Depp fans" are "mocking an abuse survivor" because "they're confused between liking the actor and his famous characters" or it's "internalized misogyny" or a "backlash against cancel culture" and the media is literally PHOTOSHOPPING tears onto her lying, no-acting face. The media is sh!tting the bed because they backed the wrong horse and can't just say-- 'me too' was important, and many learned that more women than we thought were abuse survivors, and therefore more men than we thought are abusers, BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN that "all men bad" or that every situation should be viewed through the lens of every woman being a spokesperson for the message of the movement, especially when the particular woman IS THE ABUSER. And EVEN IF we're uncomfortable with a high-profile domestic abuse case being possibly misused or misinterpreted in a way that is potentially harmful to women at large, we can't just say, "he did it, she's the victim LA LA LA LA LA" with our fingers in our ears. Have some fvcking nuance.

Absolute sh!tshow, I've never seen the human race more united in agreeing on something, and the media is like, way out in left field.

I've typed a long post about this and then deleted it several times before you asked.

Last edited by Flint (5/16/2022 2:26 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

5/16/2022 3:51 pm  #3

Yeah it's been fucking eye opening

Heard's forensic psychologist shook me - it's like she couldn't conceive of a male victim of a female DV perpetrator. 

I thought, I really did, that most people understood 'believe women' just meant interact with someone claiming to be a victim, on the assumption they are telling the truth and for those in police and judicial systems investigate thoroughly, rather than dismissing out of hand. Hearing that woman talk made me realise that some of the people working most closely with DV survivors, and even educating and advising others who deal with DV survivors, genuinely believe men are inherently suspect 

I just can't even...

The silver lining to this cloud is it may actually encourage male victims to speak up and hopefully shine a light for professionals who should be there to support men who speak up. 

5/16/2022 7:55 pm  #4

Just got home and saw a little bit of her cross-examination, it makes me sick to my stomach but there is some consolation that everyone is seeing it, everyone understands what they are watching.

5/17/2022 6:45 am  #5

Couple years ago. my daughter made a comment about how she hated Depp because he was an abuser.  At the time, I had a vague sense that I had heard there was a breakup, and I assumed Heard was just badmouthing an ex to get more money, and I was surprised to hear my daughter taking Heard's version of events as gospel.  I try to not follow the trial, but snippets of it are in my social media feed, and all the snippets make Heard look bad.

I'm reminded that I learned somewhere that when people are sad, their eyebrows always go up in a slant in the middle, and that most folks are unable to fake this movement.  It's a body language thing that can help you spot a faker.  And Amber's "sad" face never has the slanted eyebrow thing going on.

5/17/2022 8:46 am  #6

Only person who will say anything close to reality is the judge. Do not know why anyone would waste any time listening to so many who have an agenda or emotions.

I did everything I could to ignore the OJ Simpson trial.  Too many emotions overrode facts.  To have facts during that trial meant spending many hundreds of hours.  Do not understand why anyone can have an honest opinion without spending that much time.  Or why anyone would waste that much time.

5/17/2022 1:09 pm  #7

Let's start a rumor that 'In The Air Tonight' by Phil Collins was written from the perspective of Johnny Depp, and in 20 years people won't realize that the timeline doesn't make sense.

6/03/2022 7:21 am  #8

Flint wrote:

Let's start a rumor that 'In The Air Tonight' by Phil Collins was written from the perspective of Johnny Depp, and in 20 years people won't realize that the timeline doesn't make sense.

Love it

6/03/2022 6:11 pm  #9

I was curious what the media has to say about the verdict, found this clueless article from the New Yorker, an excerpt here with my internal monologue--

And yet she lost. ... She lost despite photograph after photograph of cuts, bruises, and swelling. ... (This is not only false and disingenuous, there's 100% photographic proof that she DIDN'T have any injuries when she claimed she did) ... She lost despite audio recordings of Depp verbally abusing her. ... (Nope, everyone who LISTENED to the recordings heared HER bing the abuser) ... She lost despite her sister, multiple friends, a makeup artist, and a couples counsellor attesting to seeing her injuries. ... (OOPS this is not true! witness after witness saw NO injuries. 99% of witnesses were lying,and part of a consiracy?) ... And she lost despite facing the jury and recounting graphic, painful episodes of alleged physical and sexual violence. ... (that were imaginary, inconsistent, had no eveidence, had no witnesses, and sometimes were actually copied directly from movie screenplays) ... Heard, admittedly, was not good on the stand during direct examination—she did a lot of tearless crying, and she often appeared to be performing her sorrow rather than reliving it. ... (BECAUSE SHE IS A CALCULATING, LYING MANIPULATOR, you idiots) ...

6/05/2022 9:50 am  #10

Some of the coverage in legacy media is really infuriating. Particularly on the left - which is very disappointing. 

I remember when the UK was considering allowing cameras in court about 15-20 years ago - and I was totally against it.  I have long been against allowing cameras in because of the potential for their presence to impact on trial. Now I have completely changed my mind. Had I not seen the live coverage, had I been dependent on the analysis of new outlets I in which I usually have a fair degree of confidence, I would have been consuming an entirely false and at times very cynically so, analysis of the situation. 

I also feel somewhat aggrieved when I keep hearing the 'its all driven by misogyny  on social media' narrative - sorry, no, 50 year old lifelong feminist here calling bullshit. Yes, there have been some very nasty and misogynistic shit on TikTok and Youtube - but that's hardly a new phenomenon. The channels that promote that shit have latched onto this particular story to feed into their narrative. But that doesn't mean everybody who takes issue with Amber Heard is of or influenced by that ilk.  The majority of what I have seen online is people being very reasonably pissed off that this fake victim has first abused and then destroyed the career of an innocent man while parading herself as a battered woman, fake bruises and all. 

6/06/2022 1:13 pm  #11

I know..!
But it's a subjective phenomenon-- I thought the media had lost it's mind when they railroaded Bernie, and a host of other Left-suppressing tactics, but someone else might look at those examples and say I'm just a commie. But I guess the main thing is, as you've said in the past, when you read an article and notice, "that's not news"

Last edited by Flint (6/06/2022 1:14 pm)

6/07/2022 12:24 pm  #12

I think what shocked me this time is that it was a court proceeding they were reporting on. I expect a degree of bullshit, partisan nonsense when reporting on politics - but I expect reports about court proceedings to be mostly accurate and based in fact (with disagreements over how to interpret those facts). 

It also really pointed up how utterly out of touch a lot of media people seem to  be about social media, which is frankly bizarre

I haven;t been this mad at traditional ,media since the whole 'Jeremy Corbyn is an anti-semite' shitshow

Last edited by DanaC (6/07/2022 12:29 pm)

6/07/2022 7:03 pm  #13

Welcome to the USA,  Ma'am...

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

Board footera