cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/26/2020 2:04 pm  #51

Re: What have you cooked recently

So, still just the occasional half a banana, for me, then...

11/26/2020 2:11 pm  #52

Frozen, pre-cooked chicken strips, and sweet peas w/red bell peppers..  Looked Christmassy.

The doc's office was playing the most hideous Xmas music the other day.  Hideous.  Was like Lawrence Welk had been Muzakked.

11/27/2020 4:37 pm  #53

Gravdigr wrote:

The doc's office was playing the most hideous Xmas music the other day.  Hideous.  Was like Lawrence Welk had been Muzakked.

That is too descriptive.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/01/2020 12:20 am  #54

The turkey, in repose.

Be Just And Fear Not

12/01/2020 2:54 am  #55

That looks great!

Living life on the edge.

12/01/2020 9:38 pm  #56

I made my Christmas Pudding on Sunday. 

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

12/02/2020 3:04 am  #57

I made the cake on Sunday.

Living life on the edge.

12/02/2020 9:05 pm  #58

Pics, or as they say...

Be Just And Fear Not

12/07/2020 9:03 pm  #59

This was my Thanksgiving (day after, actually) dinner.  My plate wasn't big enough.

I also made a sheet pan breakfast that lasted, like, two weeks.  I'm trying another version that has only eggs, but it didn't go too well.  I'm going to try it again with more eggs.

ETA - Ugh - why isn't it embedding! - EDIT2 - got it

Last edited by bbro (12/07/2020 9:05 pm)

12/08/2020 6:53 am  #60

The turkey looks moist, well done!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/08/2020 6:30 pm  #61

griff wrote:

The turkey looks moist, well done!

Thanks!  It was just a breast, so nice and small (7ish lbs)

12/10/2020 11:03 pm  #62

I just made a huge pot of Bolognese sauce

And then ate a huge portion of it.  I may never need to eat again.  Such a fat pig.

Last edited by monster (12/10/2020 11:04 pm)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

12/11/2020 8:25 am  #63

Nice looking stove!  How's it perform?  Oh yeah, and the food looks yummy. 

12/11/2020 9:11 am  #64

Yeah right purdy.

12/11/2020 3:24 pm  #65

it does the cooky thing .  And so far I've been able to clean up after myself and return it to it's shiny glory.  That was the first big pot o sauce I've made, which is a spluttery activity as I precook the beef and bacon in a wide shallow pan and simmer the tomatoes for a while before combining, but it seems to have passed that test.  I also replaced the revolting cheap 20-year-old white range hood with a cheap new silver one and that does the whirry and lighty things and isn't gross, so now all my appliances are the same color and none make me gag so all is as well as can be in the beestless beestmonster kitchen

12/11/2020 6:11 pm  #66

That sauce looks delicious!  My mother used to make a big pot of meat sauce like that.  We would always ask for bowls of it to eat with italian bread and butter "to taste it and make sure it was good".  By the time dinner came around, we were usually full

12/11/2020 8:57 pm  #67

monster wrote:

it does the cooky thing .  And so far I've been able to clean up after myself and return it to it's shiny glory.  That was the first big pot o sauce I've made, which is a spluttery activity as I precook the beef and bacon in a wide shallow pan and simmer the tomatoes for a while before combining, but it seems to have passed that test.  I also replaced the revolting cheap 20-year-old white range hood with a cheap new silver one and that does the whirry and lighty things and isn't gross, so now all my appliances are the same color and none make me gag so all is as well as can be in the beestless beestmonster kitchen

no sofrito?  or as I learned it, the "holy trinity" of the italian kitchen, the mirepoix of the south?

Looks mouthwatering~!!!

Be Just And Fear Not

12/12/2020 12:26 am  #68

BigV wrote:

no sofrito?  or as I learned it, the "holy trinity" of the italian kitchen, the mirepoix of the south? 

What makes you say that?

But -technically- no, because sofrito is Spanish/Hispanic, and generally contains peppers, to which I am highly allergic and which have no place in a Bolognese sauce.  Also I am not "from the south" in either of my countries.

But perhaps you meant the Italian soffritto, which is basically a standard mirepoix, to which the answer would be yes, kinda, because I cook from scratch scratch, so I chop and cook those ingredients as part of the process.  there is no jar labelled "soffritto" in my fridge. The only thing that went in that had an ingredients list with more than one item on it was the concentrated tomato puree/paste because that has tomatoes and salt.  On this occasion, I did not use celery even though I have plenty because I couldn't be arsed.  You really thought that was just meat and tomatoes????????

lean-ish ground beef -a fuckton
bacon, finely diced, any huge globs of fat removed -enough
petite-diced canned tomatoes (no other ingredients) -5 cans I think
tomato paste/puree from a tube (added salt) -enough
finely chopped onions cooked two ways -enough
fresh garlic by the truckload, crushed (I told it I didn't love it any more and was running away with the chives)
fresh ground black pepper and sea salt
super-finely chopped fresh oregano from a pot on my deck
dried flaked oregano, shaken then stirred
carrots, finely diced -the rest of the old bag
mushrooms, medium diced -all but the huge one I'm saving for weekend special breakfast
olive oil -enough

not necessarily in that order

I think that's it.  I've been making this since I was maybe 8, with a brief respite of -say- 23 years, after I taught beest (who actually enjoyed cooking) how to make it, so I don't really think about it in "recipe" terms.  It gets made when we run low in the freezer and leanish ground beef is on a good sale.  And then it gets eaten for dinner that night, some is saved in the fridge for a few days later, and most goes in gallon bags in the freezer, laid flat to be only a couple centimeters thick at most with marked thinner lines approximately indicating portions so we can snap off however much we want and defrost it when we need it.

12/15/2020 8:36 pm  #69

I haven't been cooking. We just eat...hmm...gosh I don't know. Fast food,  frozen pizza....? It's terrible. But I hate cooking and I get tired after coming home from work.  But I did bake. I made salted caramel cappuccino cheesecake. My coworkers loved it.  😁

12/24/2020 7:09 pm  #70

Yes, I meant Italian sofito, and "south" of France.

Your recipe sounds a delicious as the picture is mouthwatering.  Now I'm hungry again.

Be Just And Fear Not

12/26/2020 11:28 am  #71

Limey wrote:

I made the cake on Sunday.

And here it is, iced and decorated on Boxing Day, as seems to be traditional in this house!

Living life on the edge.

12/26/2020 12:01 pm  #72

I like those bear figurines, very cool.

12/26/2020 12:10 pm  #73

Very cool, what kind of cake is it?

I Love my country, I fear the government.

12/26/2020 3:28 pm  #74

The cake is a very rich, dense fruit cake which I baked a while back and have been “feeding” with rum periodically ever since.
it is now covered in a layer of marzipan, and a layer of fondant icing.
The bears and babies were always on the cake when I was a nipper. I believe they are German bisque ware and it looks like they are becoming collectible.

Living life on the edge.

12/26/2020 5:08 pm  #75

Awesome!

I Love my country, I fear the government.

Board footera