cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/03/2023 12:09 am  #1

Sandwiches or Sammiches or whatever...

Some people argue some of the things other people call a sandwich or not.
I don't participate in those arguments because it's not polite to argue with your mouth full.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

8/03/2023 6:24 am  #2

Re: Sandwiches or Sammiches or whatever...

Are you here for an argument?

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

8/04/2023 11:07 am  #3

Are hotdogs a sandwitch? 

Litteraly on fire 

8/04/2023 11:49 am  #4

Is there PB&J on the list?

8/05/2023 9:12 am  #5

I don't see hot dogs listed which is bound to start an argument, but PB&J is second row right..

8/05/2023 10:06 am  #6

Sandwich or not The Michigan hotdog is a freaking amazing North Country treat if any of you ever get to the Plattsburgh, NY area.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

8/05/2023 12:41 pm  #7

The names are fuzzy. I thought the PB was Bacon and Cheddar.
I've had tens of thousands of one and none of the other.

8/08/2023 5:00 pm  #8

I am still surprised that PB&J is just an American thing, and everyone else thinks its gross. 

Litteraly on fire 

8/10/2023 12:09 pm  #9

toranokaze wrote:

I am still surprised that PB&J is just an American thing, and everyone else thinks its gross. 

Too bad. More for me.

8/12/2023 8:17 pm  #10

griff wrote:

Sandwich or not The Michigan hotdog is a freaking amazing North Country treat if any of you ever get to the Plattsburgh, NY area. 

8/13/2023 6:27 am  #11

Waste not want not.

8/13/2023 8:56 pm  #12

WTF is a Michigan hotdog?

regards, Michigan

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

8/13/2023 9:00 pm  #13

toranokaze wrote:

Gross.

I mean why?  peanut butter is still quite a newcomer outside f this weird country, so you want to ask recent converts/weirdos to then pollute their newfound savory exotic product with uber-sweet grape jelly (unheard of anywhere else) and between untaosted bread slices?  Weirdo, that's gross.  except only Americans say gross.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

8/14/2023 6:08 am  #14

monster wrote:

WTF is a Michigan hotdog?

regards, Michigan

It's a higher quality hot dog in a slightly sweet meat sauce with yellow mustard on a steamed bun. Onions at your discretion. The couple who introduced them to the area moved from Detroit. Of course I like PB and J so what do I know?

8/14/2023 6:58 pm  #15

lol never seen anything like that here but I'm English so what to I know?

8/15/2023 5:56 am  #16

Ha!

8/15/2023 2:17 pm  #17

You're traveling or hiking, say, and you find a couple or three days out some each of tuna, ham, turkey and pb&j sandwiches at the bottom of a warm ice chest.
Which are ya gonna eat?

8/15/2023 2:26 pm  #18

Peanut butter and Jelly Sandwiches

8/15/2023 11:35 pm  #19

Diaphone Jim wrote:

You're traveling or hiking, say, and you find a couple or three days out some each of tuna, ham, turkey and pb&j sandwiches at the bottom of a warm ice chest.
Which are ya gonna eat?

None.  But I might pick the outside part of the bread off all of them depending what type it was/how easy the task, when I'd last eaten and how far I was from alternatives.

More likely, I'd've planned better, yhough, but you be you.....

8/16/2023 7:37 am  #20

LOL.  Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

There was that one trip out West where we had a disposable styrofoam cooler in the back seat of the rental car, and as we were cleaning it out to return it, I saw the cooler just had a half empty squeeze bottle of mustard floating around in some warm water.  And I burned my hand on the dumpster lid as I was opening in to put the cooler in there.  Phoenix was hot that day.

8/16/2023 11:28 am  #21

All the makings of that PB&J are still in the cupboard at home, unrefrigerated, waiting to make more.
Some parts of the others are likely to be unpalatable if not toxic.

8/17/2023 11:44 am  #22

You don't refrigerate an open jelly jar??

8/17/2023 10:37 pm  #23

of the sandwiches I would assume it can last the longest without refrigeration 

Litteraly on fire 

8/18/2023 11:03 am  #24

Clodfobble wrote:

You don't refrigerate an open jelly jar??

Nope. If one doesn't get finished before a little mold forms, it wasn't liked well enough to save anyway.

12/14/2023 1:06 am  #25

PB&J is not my favorite sandwich. But it’s tasty and filling and quick to make. So I have one from time to time.

Maybe it’s more than it appears. But the ‘Michigan Hot Dog’ looks like an all-beef wiener with chili and mustard. Which is can be found all over.

Not that you asked, but my favorite sandwich is the Philly Cheesesteak. Italian Beef (a Chicago thing) is right up there too.

Not commercially available either in Chicago or in the Northwest, where I’m at for the moment, is the chopped cheese (a New York thing I think). But recipes are available online and my family likes them.

Board footera