cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/14/2023 7:03 am  #26

Re: Sandwiches or Sammiches or whatever...

Regarding the Michigan, the meat sauce is a bit different, not a chili sauce.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/14/2023 11:13 am  #27

Ah.

12/14/2023 10:20 pm  #28

You guys inspired me. I had a PB&J sandwich for lunch. 

12/17/2023 3:10 pm  #29

toranokaze wrote:

I am still surprised that PB&J is just an American thing, and everyone else thinks its gross. 

We have only been eating Peanut Butter for about 125 years.
South Americans have been enjoying it for about 3,000 years.
A Canadian(Edson) patented making it in 1884.
An American(Kellogg) patented another way in 1895.
Another American (Carver) came up with some 300 uses for peanuts but not this one.
Great chefs world wide strive to create dishes combining savory and sweet.
PB&J does that with no muss or fuss, in a sandwich which is portable with minimum worry about spoiling, for folks with a busy lifestyle.
Just wrap it up and stick it in your jacket pocket.
It might be squashed and smooshed but it will be available and edible when your tummy growls. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

12/17/2023 4:06 pm  #30

Pete Zicato wrote:

my favorite sandwich is the Philly Cheesesteak.

Of course every shop around here makes them but with a great range in taste, sublime to gag.
Some variation in the rolls, onions vary from warm to caramelized, beef from New Zealand I like best.
But the huge variation in the cheese is of prime importance.
From Cheez Whiz (did I mention gag) to Cheddar (my favorite) to primo cheeses from all over.
I recently found a place (1010 rte 1&352, maybe I can get a free one for a plug ) that has beat another problem.
Get a cheesesteak and it's good but go back and it's not. Great variation with who's on the grill that day.
With 1010 it's always exactly the same. Pizza has that problem of variable with the "chef".
We had a pizza shop with the improbable name of Kent's. Hardly a taste-bud inspiring name.
Got pizza 2 or 3 times a month for years and always the same despite going through several owners.
All the owners were WASPs (Probably some were catholics) but businessmen who didn't work there.
Then a Greek family with years of food service experience bought it and it was closed in a couple months.
The big food outfits know repetition is the key to loyalty and work hard at at least maintaining the perception..
If they find a way to save a buck that changes the taste even slightly, voila, "Great new taste sensation" ad campaign.

12/18/2023 12:13 pm  #31

"We have only been eating Peanut Butter for about 125 years."
Gee, that means I'm kinda in on the ground floor.
You can make a PB&J from Wonder Bread, Skippy and Welch's Grape Jelly and it is palatable (sort of).
Then it's on to any kind of good bread, any good PB and good jelly, jam or preserves and the sky is the limit.
I have to admit I also have PB and J on my homemade whole wheat toast most mornings, 

Last edited by Diaphone Jim (12/18/2023 12:14 pm)

12/19/2023 12:04 pm  #32

Also, honey is always acceptable, but not no-stir PB.

12/21/2023 5:36 pm  #33

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Also, honey is always acceptable, but not no-stir PB.

Agreed. The no stir PB has stuff added that are nogoodniks health wise, usually oils from plants you wouldn't eat.

Board footera