cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/29/2021 7:10 pm  #226

Re: Adventures of Home Ownership

monster wrote:

I have a vague recollection from an old post on the old home of the cellar that if you find a random hole, the best way to find out what it is is to pee in it.

Good Luck!

That would take some impressive gymnastics.   I don't think that bathroom needs more random pee in it!!

8/30/2021 8:17 am  #227

Undertoad wrote:

We have moles now,

Make sure those are moles ... and not snakes.

8/30/2021 8:20 am  #228

bbro wrote:

Bonus: random hole under the mirror.  Taking bets on what the fuck it is

Looks like an electric box.  If wires are inside (even it not powered), that box must have a cover plate.  And must remain so that it can be accessed for maintenance.

8/30/2021 5:03 pm  #229

tw wrote:

bbro wrote:

Bonus: random hole under the mirror.  Taking bets on what the fuck it is

Looks like an electric box.  If wires are inside (even it not powered), that box must have a cover plate.  And must remain so that it can be accessed for maintenance.

No.  This is in the bathroom.  The box is elsewhere.

Woot!  I got more flooring today.  I tried two different configurations and I think I like the normal squares better than the large ones
*This is just to test.  I'm still doing more cleaning before laying the floor.  And I have to buy some molding for around the perimeter. 

8/30/2021 7:05 pm  #230

bbro wrote:

No.  This is in the bathroom.  The box is elsewhere. 

Any room that has electricity has electric boxes.  Code says an electric box with a receptacle must exist every 12 feet along the wall. Where any two wires join must inside an electric box.

Back in those days, all boxes were steel.  Today (in the past decades), plastic boxes are also code acceptable (often blue).  But that box appears to be steel.  And from plaster work, was installed in a modification / upgrade.

That looks like a floating floor?

Last edited by tw (8/30/2021 7:06 pm)

9/02/2021 8:25 pm  #231

It's snap together vinyl garage flooring

New sink - woot!  I've ALWAYS wanted a big single basin.  I HATE double basin sinks with a passion.  Because the drains needed to be replaced on the old sink, I figured I'd put in the new sink at the same time.  Why spend money to repair something I was just going to rip out?  Unfortunately, I am not able to upgrade the sink just yet.  I'm pretty sure I'll be able to install it myself when the time comes, though

I installed both sets of hardware I was considering.  While the silver knob looks good on the bigger doors and gives more options for painting the cabinets, I think it looks too big on the smaller doors.  
Large doors

Smaller doors

I bought a B tile on amazon, but because I have no spatial awareness, I didn't realize it was so small.  I hung it above the keys for now, but I'm not sure what to do with it.  I was thinking of getting another one and putting them on my mailbox, but I don't know

I also had an enormous tank removed from the storage room.  I wish I had a before picture.  It was an old ass water purifier with a crap ton of salt in it.  It was hooked up, but didn't actually run.  Kind of makes me go ech to think the water was running through that.  It's all gone now.

I also had another hiccup in the never ending lies I'm discovering from the sellers.   The neighbor was getting his propane tank filled, so he asked if they would look at mine (I wasn't home at the time).  Apparently, the location of my tank makes it impossible for them to fill.  Too close to windows and the air conditioning unit.  FINE!  I'll get it moved.  I called the company that looked at it to start the process to get it moved and filled.  Well, the sellers told me that the tank was mine.  The propane company said that for almost all of the tanks in NC, that is NOT the case.  In fact, the former owners had an account with this same company that has been sent to attorneys for non payment!!  Luckily, this will not impact my account with them and I can have them move it and fill it.  Waiting on the application to be approved to move forward on that.  Luckily, it doesn't get too cold here for another couple months.  Not enough that the heater would try to use the propane anyways.

9/02/2021 10:10 pm  #232

yeah sellers are assholes.  You could reposition the knob on the smaller doors a little lower and more central, so they are in the "center" of the circle described by the detailing as the old one was.... the bigger knob might hide the old hole you'd have to fill....

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

9/03/2021 12:10 pm  #233

The same company that filled the tank long enough to pile up unpaid bills now says they can't fill it?
BS!  Besides, moving a propane tank can be difficult.
Ask another company or two for a bid and a look see.

9/03/2021 5:36 pm  #234

@monster - That's a good idea.  I do like the drawer pulls on the darker set better.  It's weird.  I like both sets for different reasons, but obviously can't keep all of them.  Maybe I can keep a few of the silver for when I find something to go in the master bathroom or somewhere else.

@UT - that's it.  Thanks for the clarification.  I got the words mixed up.  When the plumber was initially there, we were talking and we think it might have been when the water was coming from the well.  It's on public water now.

@DJ - No - the company hasn't filled anything since 2008.  I did look up propane tank requirements in NC in relation to windows/air conditioners and they are correct in saying that it needs to be moved.  It's tricky here with tanks.  If I don't have a bill of sale (I don't), I can't prove that I own it.  Fuel companies won't fill tanks owned by other companies.  If I can't prove that I own it, it's not likely another company will fill it.  Because this company has a history of the address and tank, it's just easier for me to go with them. 

9/03/2021 10:57 pm  #235

tw wrote:

Did you even look at the picture?

bbro wrote:

Woot!  I got more flooring today.  I tried two different configurations and I think I like the normal squares better than the large ones  

Yeah the room is too small for the big ones. As you mentioned they are used in garages, on another forum I've seen them laid out in other than a checkerboard, some clever designs but they were working with bigger spaces. You might not have enough room to get very creative.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

9/04/2021 7:47 am  #236

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

bbro wrote:

Yeah the room is too small for the big ones. As you mentioned they are used in garages, on another forum I've seen them laid out in other than a checkerboard, some clever designs but they were working with bigger spaces. You might not have enough room to get very creative.

Luckily, they aren't permanent, so I could change the configuration in the future it I wanted to.  I think there's going to be about 6 across.  PLUS, I got an extra box of the grey tiles, but I might see if I can use them in the storage room that's at the end.  I'm going to measure for molding for the room this weekend. 

The week of the 13th, my brother is coming in to town and I took off, so I'm hoping to get a lot of things done

9/04/2021 10:36 am  #237

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

No you did not look at that picture.  One with eyes can see the bottom edge of that steel electric box.  And a bad plaster repair job necessary when that box was installed in an existing wall.  But that means one uses his eyes - not his emotions.

9/06/2021 8:36 am  #238

Yesterday was me on my own (my friend couldn't make it).  I ended up ignoring most of the list and demoed the creepy house in the back.  It. Was. Awesome.

The only before picture:
https://cellar.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=11388#p11388

Floor separated and front wall mostly gone

I pushed it over again because it kept moving when I was trying to get the other walls down

All done and piled up (I can't move the roof - lol)

I'm planning on getting a dumpster next week, so all the debris will go in that.  I also got the delivery of the floor to replace the damaged ones.  They actually sent a replacement for the full order.  I'm going to have to figure out where to use the other pieces.  

9/06/2021 10:53 am  #239

bbro wrote:

I'm planning on getting a dumpster next week, so all the debris will go in that.

House does not come with a fireplace?

9/06/2021 11:43 am  #240

There was an old chicken house in the back when I moved in here.
There was a lot of advice to tear it down, maybe even a few "creepys."
A friend had a Bronco with a winch, so we dragged it back about 30 feet and shored it up.
For fifty years I have used it for tool and equipment storage and even grew some weed.
Re-roofed it a couple of years ago.
Sure glad I didn't tear it down.

9/06/2021 1:39 pm  #241

tw wrote:

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

No you did not look at that picture.  One with eyes can see the bottom edge of that steel electric box.  And a bad plaster repair job necessary when that box was installed in an existing wall.  But that means one uses his eyes - not his emotions.

I know I looked at the picture.  I even blew it up 500%.  There's no box visible in that picture,

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

9/06/2021 2:53 pm  #242

Diaphone Jim wrote:

There was an old chicken house in the back when I moved in here.
There was a lot of advice to tear it down, maybe even a few "creepys."
A friend had a Bronco with a winch, so we dragged it back about 30 feet and shored it up.
For fifty years I have used it for tool and equipment storage and even grew some weed.
Re-roofed it a couple of years ago.
Sure glad I didn't tear it down.

I'm glad it worked out for you!  I was thinking of moving it closer to the house and using it for porch item storage, but it was infested with carpenter ants.  One layer of flooring was complete powder.  Not to mention the dozens of spider/roach looking things that were living underneath it, too.

I already have a 2 car garage with side storage (that's going to be the gym) and another, separate, storage shed.  There's no shortage of storage

9/06/2021 5:30 pm  #243

TheNeverWas wrote:

I know I looked at the picture.  I even blew it up 500%.  There's no box visible in that picture,

What is that flat, smooth metal edge on the right side of the hole?  Rest of that approximately 2.5 inch wide hole has plaster covering the box's left metal edge.  In part because the box was not properly mounted (mounted too deep).  And a plaster repair job was sloopy.

Hole appears to be is a correct width.  Edge appears to be a correct thickness to be a steel electric box.  With a hole originally punched into the wall that is larger (necessary) to install an electric box.  If an electric box, then hole would be at least 4" high.

From everything pictured, that is a steel electric box, mounted slightly too deep, and partially covered by plaster..

If it is a junction box, then it must have a cover.  And that was the point.

Of course, more is known by simply removing that trim. Why some want to argue called silliness.  From what is pictured, that is the shape of and sloppy installation of a steel electric box.  So why ignore the point: if it is an electric junction box, then it must have a cover.  And must remain accessible for inspection and repair.

9/08/2021 4:23 pm  #244

I finally managed to narrow down paint colors to two for each of the rooms I want to paint first.  So I go to Sherwin Williams (down the street) to try to get some samples - NO SAMPLES!  The guy told me that they were selling people quarts instead for 15 ish dollars.  I had 8 colors I wanted.  Over 100 dollars just to try colors I think I might want.  Like, really??

So, I got online when I got back and checked out the Behr site to find similar colors.  And now, I've got 9 colors of paint on the way :D

9/10/2021 6:37 pm  #245

I don't think I ever gave an update on my flooring!  The gym floor was delivered and the delivery guy was able to back up and put it right in the gym.  WOOT!  I'm not completely done with the gym space, but I think I'm going to unroll it all anyways and move my work out stuff out there now.

I also go the redelivery of the laundry room flooring.  They actually redelivered the ENTIRE order and not just the damaged planks.  SO it looks like I'm getting some new flooring in the master bathroom!!!

The dumpster is arriving on Saturday and my brother is arriving on Sunday.  I'm hoping the next week is going to be super productive....or at least less disorganized.  I'll try to remember to take pictures

The fence is going to be installed early, but they told me that the local electric company would mark the lines from the house to the detached garage.  They will not.  So, I had to find a replacement last second so no time to research and get different quotes means I'm paying $360 for them to come out and do a 10 min job.  If I hadn't been waiting for the electric company, I would've had more time to shop around.  But at least the dogs will have a play area in a week

9/10/2021 6:43 pm  #246

bbro wrote:

they told me that the local electric company would mark the lines from the house to the detached garage.  They will not.  So, I had to find a replacement last second so no time to research and get different quotes means I'm paying $360 for them to come out and do a 10 min job.  If I hadn't been waiting for the electric company, I would've had more time to shop around.  But at least the dogs will have a play area in a week

Don't you have Miss Dig there?  is that just a Michigan thing?  It's free here.  You just put in a request 3-7 days before the work is scheduled and they come and mark all lines.  (well I know Miss Dig is Michigan, but I kinda thought every state would have an equivalent -especially since half the teams that do ours seem to cross the border from Ohio.....)

Last edited by monster (9/10/2021 6:44 pm)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

9/10/2021 8:21 pm  #247

I'm unacquainted with Miss Dig, but I think her local number 811, CALL BEFORE YOU DIG.

They mean it.  And I've seen ... diagrams of *bad things happening* that are completely avoidable mistakes.  and for free.  Call.

Be Just And Fear Not

9/10/2021 8:39 pm  #248

tw wrote:

TheNeverWas wrote:

What is that flat, smooth metal edge on the right side of the hole?  Rest of that approximately 2.5 inch wide hole has plaster covering the box's left metal edge.  In part because the box was not properly mounted (mounted too deep).  And a plaster repair job was sloopy.

Hole appears to be is a correct width.  Edge appears to be a correct thickness to be a steel electric box.  With a hole originally punched into the wall that is larger (necessary) to install an electric box.  If an electric box, then hole would be at least 4" high.

From everything pictured, that is a steel electric box, mounted slightly too deep, and partially covered by plaster..

If it is a junction box, then it must have a cover.  And that was the point.

Of course, more is known by simply removing that trim. Why some want to argue called silliness.  From what is pictured, that is the shape of and sloppy installation of a steel electric box.  So why ignore the point: if it is an electric junction box, then it must have a cover.  And must remain accessible for inspection and repair.

Ok.

By your logic, since it doesn't have a cover, it's not an electrical box.  

By your logic, I'm not arguing, I'm simply pointing out the factual truth that it's the corner of the hole previously occupied by the inset medicine cabinet, now replaced by a mirror.  *You're* the silly one that's arguing.

Putting an electrical box directly above the sink, and we know the sinks been here since the start, who moves plumbing?  Electrical over the sink?  No.  Medicine cabinet over the sink?  Very common.

Where you get your relative measurements ... no, wait, I withdraw the speculation.  Nope, nope, no, no thank you.  I'm sure I know where you got that number. Ew.

aaaaanyhow, we agree that removing the trim would reveal more information.  But that's unlikely, so your claims remain unassailable.  Well played.

Be Just And Fear Not

9/11/2021 1:15 pm  #249

BigV wrote:

I'm unacquainted with Miss Dig, but I think her local number 811, CALL BEFORE YOU DIG.

They mean it.  And I've seen ... diagrams of *bad things happening* that are completely avoidable mistakes.  and for free.  Call.

So, the fence company actually arranges the location of utilities using 811.  BUT, since this is an underground line from the house to the detached garage, it's considered a "private" line.  Therefore, 811 will not mark it.  If the garage would have it's own meter, then it would be considered public.  It's really stupid.   Sorry, I forgot to clarify that.  I always forget that not everyone has all the information I do 

Today was not as productive as I was hoping.  But, I dug a hole.  A deep hole. 

To get this fucking thing (which I realize now doesn't show the whole thing)

BUT, the good news is now I know that it will unscrew (I couldn't get the other one to move) and it wasn't concrete down there like I originally thought.

I also got a second coat on the bathroom cabinet and drawers.  Looks much better this time.  And I think it actually worked against the smell this time.

Bonus gym flooring picture

9/11/2021 3:36 pm  #250

In these hyere parts, we call BUD.

"Call BUD, Before U Dig."

BIG fine if'n ya hit sumpin, and ya didn't call BUD.

Also 811.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

Board footera