cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/07/2021 6:48 am  #176

Re: Adventures of Home Ownership

@TheNeverWas - It was inevitable.  Agree with heathens

@Bruce - My luck, they would love the heat!  LOL

8/10/2021 7:14 pm  #177

The hunt for a kitchen table and chairs continues.  I'm too cheap, I think.  I might try to refinish the dining room chairs I already have and find a table to do the same.

The list of things to do is getting longer.  I'm currently trying to figure out how to get the small out of the cabinets, how to access one of those stupid blind corners without spending a grand.  I also discovered that the stager covered a burn mark on the counter next to the stove.  Like, the laminate is burnt off.  So, I'm trying to find a sooner solution for the counters.  I can buy a cheap kit to refinish them until I can afford to get them completely replaced.

I'm still trying to completely decide on flooring, but it's tough with no other input than my own.  Same with the gym flooring which I'm going to do sooner than expected.  I am ready for some before and after pictures :D

The closing docs have been signed and I'm just waiting for it to be recorded so I can change the locks.  Still haven't been notified.  One good surprise, the internet is active over there - woot

8/10/2021 7:45 pm  #178

The list will always get longer and never be completed until you leave. Understand and accept and you will feel a weight lifting. Pick something that's doable right now and is fun and do it. then repeat.

Baking soda, IKEA......good call for interim.... no hurry on decision, floor ain't going anywhere...breathe :D

and congratulations

Last edited by monster (8/10/2021 7:45 pm)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

8/11/2021 3:41 am  #179

Monster is right, sure you want to do this and that and the other.
But chill, move it, get a vibe from the place, and get it done without making yourself crazy.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (8/11/2021 3:44 am)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

8/11/2021 11:48 am  #180

Advice to chill and enjoy is right on.
"...get the small out of the cabinets" is one of the best typos I've ever seen.

8/11/2021 4:38 pm  #181

Make a list.  Write it all down.  Do a half dozen things on the list and then pull the list out in 5 years and laugh at yourself that you ever cared about any of it.

8/11/2021 5:05 pm  #182

@monster - opening them seems to have made a huge difference, so I'm optimistic.  I'm definitely picking some easy ones to start off.  A friend is coming over on Saturday to help with a few things

@bruce - I think I'm just excited to get it done and not worry about things like plumbing and electrical.  Everything outside of the inspection report can wait.  It's definitely going to be part time until I move in.

@jim - I didn't even notice that 

@glatt - it's all written down on google docs with check marks so I can cross things off as I do them

Today, I went over to change the deadbolts and doorknobs.  I was able to get it all done, but definitely ran into some problems.  At one point, I had a screw stuck halfway in the wall.  It wouldn't come out, it wouldn't go in.  Luckily, the foundation guy had arrived and he fixed it for me - lol!!  So, it wasn't perfect and some things still need to be fixed, BUT all the new knobs and bolts are in.  I'm definitely going to need new door frames/doors at some point.

8/11/2021 9:29 pm  #183

Trying to move that screw with a screwdriver?
Gotta get a Binford 299 volt cordless screwdriver / jackhammer / weed wacker.
grunt grunt grunt 

8/15/2021 5:04 pm  #184

@bruce - None of those would've worked - he eventually used the pliers on this: https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/multi-tools/all-multi-tools/dime-black-30-000469

Today was much more productive.  A friend came over to help.  We got the gym walls cleared of nails and shelf braces; the gutters cleaned; the well house cleaned; started the demo on the creepy house; and cleaned off the gym ceiling.  It doesn't sound like much, but it all took about 3-4 hours.  I got some more of the couch put together, too.  I'm doing that one on my own.

Next week, I think we'll finish the creepy house; repair the work table in the garage; pull up the carpet in the sunroom; work on sealing the gym and painting the walls with kilz. 

I'm also going to put this on the island in the kitchen
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0824RFLGH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Creepy house without front and on the side.....cause we wanted to push it over

Couch progress

Me on the roof of the gym

The gym pre-clean up (I forgot to take a picture after today) - the table on the left is gone, the shelf in the back didn't exist (yes, they took the bit of wood).

8/18/2021 6:12 pm  #185

So, more good news *sigh*.  The water heater is completely rusted and corroded on the bottom.  The plumber didn't think it would even last a year, so it's getting replaced.  Since he had to completely redo the sink drains in the kitchen, I'm just going to replace the sink now.  It's a double basin and I want a single.  I was thinking of getting a new faucet installed, but I think I'll hold off on that for now.  Plus, I'm pretty sure I can install it myself.  

I got the foundation estimate which will be much more than expected.  But, once done, it should last for a very very very long time.  I'd like to get that fixed before I move in all the furniture.  Luckily, I can finance with 0% interest for 12 months.

Aaand the fence estimate which I knew was going to be expensive.  But, still, seeing my reserves be depleted so quickly is daunting

I'm definitely taking monster's advice and breathing.  I'm postponing some things I'd like to do, but I'm making some other changes that will just make it feel more like mine.  I have an actual budget spreadsheet now, so I know how much I have left as I go along.

Funny thing happened today.  The sellers reached out to see if I would share the appraisal with them.  The same people who wouldn't at least meet me half way on the amount of money for the fixes.  The same people who claimed to know nothing about their parent's house that shared the property with their business.  The same people my agent had to pester to get the warranty on the new heat exchanger that they promised.  The same people who dropped an envelope of keys TO MY HOUSE in the mailbox and didn't bother to tell anyone.  THESE people want me to do a favor and share the appraisal that I paid over $500 for during closing.  Ummmmmm, no.

8/18/2021 6:37 pm  #186

So wait, you've closed on this place and you're in and now the sellers want more money out of you?

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

8/18/2021 6:41 pm  #187

monster wrote:

So wait, you've closed on this place and you're in and now the sellers want more money out of you?

No.  They want me to send them the appraisal I had done to for the mortgage.  Basically, they want something for free..  Appraisals aren't cheap.  If they couldn't work with me during the sale, I'm certainly not going to help them out after.

8/19/2021 11:08 pm  #188

So I guess forget about camping for now... 

You have a long wish list so scheduling contractors and paying for things will be in flux.
However there will be little things you can do that others may not even notice but will make you warm and fuzzy from progress. Just dumb stuff like glueing down a corner of wallpaper, or hanging pictures. Things you can look at and say to yourself, I did that. You're doing damn good.

8/20/2021 5:35 pm  #189

@Bruce - Exactly!  I may not get it all at once, but I'll get it eventually.  Making the house safe is taking priority over some other items.  I think it'll be amazing just to be able to paint some of the rooms to whatever color I want.  Plus, taking down the glass shower doors is a HUGE change, but not too expensive to put up shower curtains

I did the electric today.  Again, it cost me a lot more than expected.  BUT, I got my big ass couch put together!  I need to nudge it a bit to the right, but that might not be possible - LOL!

Tomorrow, I'm doing some cleaning and hanging some curtains.  Oddly normal stuff

8/20/2021 6:51 pm  #190

monster wrote:

who wallpapers in a sunroom?

Many homes have big windows and plenty of sun.  Then when they wallpapered the kitchen, sun took wallpaper only where sun was brightest.

8/20/2021 6:58 pm  #191

I've never seen wallpaper in a kitchen either -not here and barely back in the UK.  maybe I live in a little modern/poor/practical bubble.

8/20/2021 6:59 pm  #192

bbro wrote:

Holy fuck that is one big-ass couch.  amazing.

8/20/2021 7:01 pm  #193

bbro wrote:

monster wrote:

No.  They want me to send them the appraisal I had done to for the mortgage.  Basically, they want something for free..  Appraisals aren't cheap.  If they couldn't work with me during the sale, I'm certainly not going to help them out after.

too right.  What on earth would they need it for anyway?  You've closed, already, right?

8/21/2021 7:44 am  #194

monster wrote:

bbro wrote:

monster wrote:

too right.  What on earth would they need it for anyway?  You've closed, already, right?

So, I'm finding out that it was an estate sale.  I'm assuming both parents have died and the sale is part of closing the estate.  They said they need it for something with the estate......I feel like I said estate too much

And yes - that is one big ass couch :D  It's 11 feet long!!

8/21/2021 11:36 am  #195

bbro wrote:

monster wrote:

bbro wrote:

So, I'm finding out that it was an estate sale.  I'm assuming both parents have died and the sale is part of closing the estate.  They said they need it for something with the estate......I feel like I said estate too much

And yes - that is one big ass couch :D  It's 11 feet long!!

Then the estate can damn well pay for the whole appraisal :D

8/21/2021 3:09 pm  #196

Our current house had wallpaper in the kitchen and the master bathroom when we moved in... needless to say, it was the first thing to go.

8/21/2021 4:42 pm  #197

That ain't a couch, it's a mosh pit, or an orgy video prop, or a group therapy meeting place... or a multi-doggie bed.
What's the problem with wallpaper in the kitchen or bath, as long as it's washable.

8/22/2021 4:42 pm  #198

@clod - luckily, I don't have any wallpaper.  I'm making up for it with shelf liners in the kitchen
@bruce - I mean, it can be all of that.  Bought it to fit my pups on it!  I'm thinking of taking them over there this week to check it out

I'm about to order all the flooring I need for the house and gym.  It's a lot.  But, it's all I need for now.  My friend and I pulled up the gross carpet.  I wasn't going to do anything to the floor, but I think I'm going to scrape up as much as I can.  The glue was so old and brittle on the carpet, I think it'll be easier than expected.  I'm trying to research and see if I should paint or prime or seal it in some way after I clean it.

My friend also said that he's planning on coming by every Sunday if I want him to.  OF COURSE I DO, DUDE!  Like, he actually took the time and carved out the wood to fit the door jamb plates.  I mean, I was going to do that, but he was all about it.  He knows a lot more than me about it all.

Reminder of the ugly carpet

Post carpet

8/22/2021 5:00 pm  #199

That's a nice room.

8/23/2021 6:18 am  #200

Looks like a great one to fill with plants!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

Board footera