cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/22/2020 11:10 pm  #1

Diabetes in old age, the NHS, covid etc.

Banana Lady (my MIL, aged 70, widowed obese type 2 diabetic) is not in a good way.  She's had bronchitis forever, is lonely as fuck and clearly depressed, not eating properly, not sleeping properly.... We've been trying to do the best we can (my sis in a different city in UK who stays up til they early hours to get BL an online online grocery delivery spot, me and my daughter in US who send care packages and try to be available to chat when we can)... but it's so fucking hard and distressing for all.   BL has had two video appointments with doctors this week who have brushed her off saying it seems like she's doing the right things re the bronchitis... give it a few more weeks..... and apparently ignored when she said she was a bit worried about her foot....

She is "bubbled" with her fairly severely disabled daughter and her completely fucking useless husband***. 

Today some friends from the WI visited because they were concerned about her and noticed a lesion on her leg and a crack on the ball of her foot.  They have taken pictures and are planning to raise some medical hell with her doctor office tomorrow (one of them works locally for the NHS)  BL hadn't mentioned any of these things to us before today   Very British "don't want to cause a fuss"  and she can't reach her feet, never mind see them, so had no idea what was going on down there)

I'm just angry and upset and feeling helpless.  What sort of doctor doesn't pay attention when a diabetic 70yo living alone not known for hypochondria says she thinks there might be something wrong with the bottom of her foot but she can't see it?

My Sis (Aunt Scary) is looking into meals on wheels and will raise merry hell with the doctor's office tomorrow if the women from the WI don't have any joy (I'm next in line with my best American accent and attitude), Pologirl and I have sent an Amazon package with fun things to do whilst sat down and things to help you reach, see and take care of your feet.... but this is fucking bollocks.  I know the NHS is stretched to limits, but reducing Covid deaths by ignoring basic but critical every day health requirements so people die of something else before they are able to contract covid is not fucking OK

*** example of daughter and her CFU husband:   
BL told them she was feeling weak and probably wouldn't be able to make cups of tea for them when they visited.  So they just didn't go.  Apparently, usual scheme of visits is BL does all the things for daughter that husband can't be bothered to do -takes her for hair cut etc, while he sits on sofa playing on his phone and is served cups of tea by BL.  (daughter has physical and mental disabilities, can't speak so as to be understood by strangers, needs wheelchair outside of house.....)

Thank you for listening.  Please feel free to make suggestions, especially if you are in the UK and have NHS insight.  She's in Nottingham.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/23/2020 8:25 am  #2

Re: Diabetes in old age, the NHS, covid etc.

My only suggestion is to ask if you can take over the responsibility of getting BL an online grocery slot so you can do it at a reasonable hour instead of your SIL having to stay up until the wee hours to do the same thing.  Can it be done online?  Can BL just make a shopping list and you log in and hit "send" or whatever it is you need to do?

11/23/2020 10:55 am  #3

unfortunately can't be done from overseas.

I wrote a long post earlier but it has disappeared........

OK so she reported feeling shitter than ever this morning, but the the friend who took pics of the lesion on her leg managed to get her a doc appointment, two different friends took her there and she's just got back.  Doc's given her some antibiotics and cream for her leg -seems like it was worse than I had gathered from what she told me.  The same friends are going to take her our for a walk and some fresh air soon. So I'm really happy about that.  I've been convinced that would help but she just won't go by herself -understandably- -she gets bored and lonely and is afraid of falling.  She was too late for diabetic bloodwork today, but the nurse is going to come and take her blood tomorrow.  She thinks a nurse might also be coming sometime to help with her feet.  She was just going to have some lunch and seemed a bit chirpier by the end of our chat, so I'm a bit happier. But I'm still not thrilled with what it took to get her checked over properly

Last edited by monster (11/23/2020 10:57 am)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/24/2020 5:34 am  #4

Should BL be on regular medication and are you sure she's taking it? If you have any doubts batter the GP to get social services to provide a regular (daily) visitor to check medication consumption. This is a visitor, even if they don't stay long, which may help.
Does anyone have medical power of attorney for her? Can this be invoked?
Sounds like the WI ladies are great. Hopefully now she's on their radar they will arrange regular visits/trips as much as possible.
Can she bubble with another household too (not sure of local regulations in Nottingham but these could be googled).
Is BL up for any online games (there used to be some which could be shared real-time via Skype? Mr Limey and I used them to keep each other company when I was travelling.

Living life on the edge.

11/24/2020 9:56 am  #5

Thanks, Limey.

Yes, I believe she's taking her medication, but don't think she's doing a good job on her diet.  All carbs and too much of them.  Example comment "no I'm not really hungry so I'm not eating very much, I have to force myself. Today I just had porridge for breakfast, a fish finger sandwich for lunch, a ham cob for tea and then an egg cob to take my tablets with"   anyone see any veg in there? fruit?  (BL's sandwiches and cobs are large chunks of white bread, buttered, with said item and nothing else inside)

Yes, I'm very happy that she got involved with the WI recently.  She joined for a bit of company pre-covid and it seems she provided her own lifeline there.

We're leary about intervening with the GP because she's very much a fan of them (not sure why) and she is an adult capable of making her own decisions and feeling very depressed -we don't want to do anything that will make her feel worse/more helpless/hopeless/depressed.  Nurse failed to show this morning, suspect BL misunderstood what was planned, will be conferring with sis later when she has finished her paid work gig.

Yes games are in the plan.  Once health stabilized, first stop is getting BL more comfortable with Zoom/Skype etc.  That's going to be my job, but right now she's all stressed out about it so softly gently slowly....

Sis says she won't change her bubble and I get it. If she did then her daughter -her only surviving child- might have no-one.  Daughter's husband is a useless POS who doesn't even take care of his wife's basic needs beyond the essential and BL is her mum -she needs to be there for her, even if it means her own basic needs not being met.

Sis suggested Meals on Wheels to BL, and she's considering it, so that may be something, making sure she gets at least one hot balanced meal a day, sees a real person and doesn't have to prep it herself.  Fingers crossed she goes for it.

Thanks all for listening and talking things through with me, it really helps

11/24/2020 9:59 am  #6

I don't know about medical Power of Attorney.  If it is anyone, it might be my sis but I don't think it is because she would have mentioned it when we were discussing intervening with GP?  All that used to be beest and I know BL needed sis' address when she was redoing her will after beest died.  I'll ask sis when she'd finished work.

11/24/2020 11:39 am  #7

Meals on Wheels would be excellent. Or there's a commercial outfit called Wiltshire Farm Foods who provide an enormous menu of heat and serve meals if BL can use the microwave. They are excellent - both my (divorced, separated and living alone) parents enjoyed these.
The delivery drivers (used to) put everything away in the freezer which meant they were there long enough for a quick chat.

Living life on the edge.

11/25/2020 11:06 pm  #8

sis is looking at a private option, but the meals need to be fresh and hot each day.  she has a freezer full of frozen meals, but she's too down to zap them, she just makes another veg-free sandwich.  BL is still thinking about it AFAIK.

On the upside, she is FINALLY, allegedly, getting her bloods done tomorrow, the nurse came and helped her with lotion and is arranging for a carer to come (hurrah!!!!! finally!).  The women from the WI have been tremendous, and the first (unsolicited) assistance item I sent was well received, the one I discussed with her and a fun thing are in a package waiting to be opened tomorrow, and she already asked me to order another assistance item (HUGE step forward) so I have -and added another unsolicited one sis suggested and another fun item.  I really think her life would be greatly improved by having a walker with a seat and have tentatively suggested it in the past, but -like most of us would- she resents the idea that she needs help (and then just doesn't do things because she can't).  Maybe we're now finally headed in a direction where she will say yes.  I hope so, I worry about her becoming a prisoner in her house.

11/26/2020 6:01 am  #9

The most frustrating thing is that refusal because of resentment when it would make such a positive difference. I remember that from my mum and am trying to train myself to see the positive of these gadgets so when my time comes I'm not so self-limiting.
Oh, and YAY for acceptance of things sent, and other progress!

Last edited by Limey (11/26/2020 6:01 am)

Living life on the edge.

11/27/2020 5:32 pm  #10

Today she reports feeling "a little more lively" and certainly sounds happier and now has a slew of people lined up to come in and help ......which make sis suspect it's way, way worse than BL has let on to us, even recently when she's finally felt ok saying she needed help.    Bajaboi skyped BLyesterday and said she looked terrible (first time he has seen her since she got bronchitis weeks ago).  Which begs to question .......why in the holy fuck did fucking useless son-in-law NOT DO ANYTHING???????? (other than not go around because she wouldn't be able to make him cups of tea while he sat oon the sofa and played on his phone)   He's the only one who's been in a position to see how it really is and seems to have turned a blind eye so as to minimize the inconvenience to himself.   He bangs on about working for the NHS (supply chain) .........thank goodness he has cow orkers or the NHS would have collapsed long ago

/rant.  maybe.

11/27/2020 10:30 pm  #11

So latest update..... sis can't sleep for worrying that the situation is way worse than we imagined because suddenly there are so many people getting involved.  Confirmed she is LPA.  Sis is worried she should have known/realized.......  but BL naturally is very reticent with the truth and we are so far away we have to go on what she says, and the little info we can get from her.  But we now have a plan to initial contact with the on-site team without going behind BLs back, so..... fingers crossed

11/28/2020 10:30 am  #12

Hon, I can only imagine how difficult this has all been, trying to help and intervene from a distance. Glad things are moving in a better direction. 

11/28/2020 3:01 pm  #13

Yeah, been there, done that (me in Scotland and my ma in Lincolnshire masking her difficulties like mad). It is so hard to work out what’s going on and what to do. I’m with Dana, glad that things are headed in the right direction.

Living life on the edge.

12/04/2020 7:08 pm  #14

Well.......
sigh.....

She refused meals on wheels.  I sent her various aid items she seems to have like and some fun ones (mixed reception but today's packages of a boombox cd/radio with batteries and a christmas songs cd seem well received, except for being delivered to the front door instead of the back door even though she still needs visitors to bring the packages in and the front door is apparently at the back of the house and more hidden from potential thieves.... ???? dontfuckingaskmeimaboutreadytosplode)   but I digress.  She got set up with health professionals visiting and some home help and a cleaner.......

....then had a fall.  

She used her emergency button and an ambulance was called.  And then while she was waiting for the ambulance, the call-button people phoned (to see if the ambulance had arrived yet) so she dragged herself across the floor to answer the fucking phone sand caused herself all sorts of strain injuries.  Only a bit of bruising from the fall though.  When the ambulance arrived, they got her up, checked her over and left her to it.

Anyway, that at least made her accept meals on wheels.  She thinks it's temporary ...but we'll see..... ;)

SHE IS DRIVING US NUTS which I hope means she is on the mend.  But she tells different people different things.  Like she told us she wasn't eating properly because she couldn't be bothered to cook veg but she seems to have told the health team it was because she can't carry it from the kitchen to the living room, so they delivered her a trolley to help.  Which is actually a walking frame with baskets.  of course, she's not fucking using it or she wouldn't have fallen.......

thanks for letting me rant   It helps me try to be kind and patient when dealing with her  (not my fortes, I'm sure you'd be shocked to learn)

It would have helped too if she had told me she needed/wanted items delivered to the back door....  I have never seen her current house so how in the fuck am I supposed to know.... stilln I know now. Next up is a thermos flask so she can make multiple cups of tea and pour them as needed to save trekking back and forth to the kitchen with hot liquids etc.

12/05/2020 4:09 am  #15

Rant away! Let off steam! Have at it! (I feel ya.)

Living life on the edge.

12/05/2020 8:29 am  #16

Dad pulls that different stories for different people thing. He  usually dumps on and manipulates my younger sister who is frankly an easy target. For the rest of us everything is great!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/28/2021 2:04 pm  #17

BL is in a bad way again.  fluid on lungs, being sent for chest xray (?long covid), anaemic.  She eats a shit diet.  All the fresh veg she has my sis order for her is left to rot, she doesn't take the supplements.  She cancelled MOW because it's inconvenient -it means she has to be in (SHE DOESN'T FUCKING GO OUT)  Still claiming to have no appetite and says she manages to "force down" a few bits like porridge, sandwiches, stodgefest galore.  yet she can't force down a fucking serving of green veg.   aaaargh.

Still at least the docs finally seem to be on it.   She's just spent a small fortune having her bathroom and a more accessible bed/bedroom fixed up, but is still sleeping in the chair in the sitting room and has ah fuck it.  she's old and sick and I can't do much

Last edited by monster (3/28/2021 2:04 pm)

3/28/2021 2:52 pm  #18

You’re in tough position Monster. Not much you can do, really. Hugs to you x

Living life on the edge.

3/28/2021 8:44 pm  #19

Avoiding the veggies after a lifetime of eating what she likes I can see, but skipping the meds is a different level of Old Person Stubbornness. Sucks to feel so powerless, but (I know you know) she's going to do what she's going to do. Hopefully the doctors can get through to her.

3/28/2021 9:31 pm  #20

She does take doc prescribed meds.  But the supplements are doc recommended, but don't require a prescription.  So obviously are not important.

My (evil) hope is the iron supplements the doc has now prescribed will give her constipation enough that she'll reconsider the more natural alternative for iron intake.  The problem is.... they're yet another thing best taken with food, and she uses any medication that should be taken with food as a reason to have an extra meal.....

Sis is worried and thinks that BL is also worried that the November crap was covid and this is long covid :/ (the lungs)

3/29/2021 5:54 am  #21

I feel you, the old timer is being stubborn here as well.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/29/2021 11:33 am  #22

I am the old timer in my family, dreading the time when (if) I become the "old timer" and don't know it.

3/29/2021 12:08 pm  #23

I am a type 2 diabetic, and what I have learned is that if you don't respect the beetus, it will first cripple you and blind you, and then you will crap out your heart and kidneys.  Organ failure is a horrible way to die.

Weaponized Funk

3/29/2021 12:57 pm  #24

OFFS a 75yo woman who feels "grotty" has suspected fluid on her lungs....chest xray scheduled for April 8th.  Nearly two weeks.

3/29/2021 1:54 pm  #25

Luce wrote:

I...and then you will crap out your heart and kidneys...

Is that what that is?!  I thought I was shitting like a goose 'cuz o' the metformin...

Board footera