cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2022 2:49 pm  #301

Re: The Covid

TheNeverWas wrote:

Flint wrote:

it's like they always say, "carry a laser down the road that I must travel"

That was funneh.

you must be an old ƒucker like me

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

2/10/2022 7:19 pm  #302

...older, by the damn minute, it seems.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

2/10/2022 11:02 pm  #303

TheNeverWas wrote:

Flint wrote:

it's like they always say, "carry a laser down the road that I must travel"

That was funneh.

I'm with these guys.  (whether they like it or not)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

2/10/2022 11:06 pm  #304

Undertoad wrote:

I will add, Japan has okayed ivm for use by its docs.

Why we should trust Japan:

Important to note that this result is not due to ivm usage. And Omicron has only just arrived there, so we don't know about that. But still.

Japan also has an entirely different culture with respect to social interaction.  Things like polite social distance, hugging strangers, loud talking....

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

2/11/2022 8:24 pm  #305

TheNeverWas wrote:

I could not have described you better if I tried. 

Brainwashed extremists only sees what their emotions want to see.  Then justify insults rather than contribute something informed or useful.  Somehow insults trump reality and facts. Pun is intentional - and accurate.

A 30 second attention span, common with extremists, means one does not even read something twice.  To know what it actually said.  Patriotic Americans - moderates - would not make that mistake.  Patriots need not post insults.

No wonder extremists love Trump tweets.  That are less than 140 characters.  Short enough to be understood by a 30 second attention span.  Not an insult.  A 30 second attention span is typical with extremists.  A reality.

An honest man would have addressed the topic.  An extremist cannot and does not bother to dispute reality.

Last edited by tw (2/11/2022 8:48 pm)

2/11/2022 8:43 pm  #306

Undertoad wrote:

We both know nothing; since there isn't enough solid science for it yet.

What we know: you were proclaiming it as a solution when (as you now admit) no facts justified that conclusion.  But again, in the last 20 some years, you have repeatedly posted extremist lies rather that first learn facts.  Fox News targets the naive.

You admit you did not know.  But promoted it as a solution.  Please learn how reality works.  Please learn from your mistakes.

For example, well over 300 different vaccines were in development.  According to UT reasoning, many hundreds should have worked.  Reality: only three were sufficient.  Moderates (informed people) never make such bogus recommendations until facts exist.  Only an extremist would have recommended hundreds of vaccines - or Ivermectin.  For the same reason Jenny McCarthy proved vaccines caused autism.  And that Saddam had WMDs.

After so many WMD lies, a moderate learns that everything, promoted by Fox, is suspect - often a lie.  UT still has not learned from many mistakes.  Extremists must remain that entrenched.  Then need not apologize for being so easily manipulated.

Last edited by tw (2/11/2022 8:47 pm)

2/12/2022 3:42 pm  #307

Undertoad wrote:

babble, babble, babble, lie  

Again (as usual) it was necessary to correct your typos<g>.  

2/18/2022 3:33 pm  #308

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2789362Findings  In this open-label randomized clinical trial of high-risk patients with COVID-19 in Malaysia, a 5-day course of oral ivermectin administered during the first week of illness did not reduce the risk of developing severe disease compared with standard of care alone.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/19/2022 7:45 am  #309

https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/ivermectin-debacle-exposes-flaws-in-meta-analysis-methodology/4014477.article

The thing that really shocked me and my co-authors is how much of it is deliberate fraud,’ says Sheldrick. ‘Things like the same 11 patients copied and pasted, over and over.’ In another example, hundreds of patients were supposedly recruited using complicated protocols in incredibly short time scales with a team of three.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/19/2022 10:44 am  #310

‘There’s not a single randomised control trial which reliably says ivermectin saves lives,’ says Sheldrick.

But Fox News says it does save lives.  Therefore it must!

Explanation point because extremist news sources target emotions.  Facts only need a period.

2/19/2022 11:29 am  #311

I'm not interested in the "debate" as it was created out of whole cloth by people with an anti-expert, anti-MSM axe to grind. Thankfully, we're transitioning to the endemic stage of this thing and people can let go of the partisan bloodlust and just maybe get back to living.

2/19/2022 11:36 am  #312

get back to living

Some of us never stopped.

2/19/2022 1:32 pm  #313

The ivermectin debate is a perfect example of people digging harder into one belief when someone they don't like espouses a different belief.

There are also, for example, some mixed but potentially promising studies on both nicotine and ranitidine as COVID inhibitors. But no one screams that their doctor is a fraud when they aren't prescribed, and no one openly mocks people who believe those meds could help them. Nobody talks about them at all. But that's largely coincidence--you can bet your ass if Joe Rogan started recommending them, half the world would be up in arms about how ignorant they were; and if Fauci started recommending them, the other half would be howling about the pharmaceutical conspiracy. People would suddenly care very much about these drugs they knew nothing about the day before.

Tribal mindsets are destroying us--but counterintuitively, as far as I can see the most effective solution is not to maintain a moderate position, but rather to avoid discussion entirely. Debate in this country needs to be decentralized, which means leaving most people out of it.

2/19/2022 1:53 pm  #314

Undertoad wrote:

I'm not invested in any particular outcome, but very interested in the debate/

That means facts.  Why then cite social media where no one must meet the criteria for honesty?  Where so many lies (ie vaccines cause autism, genetic foods are unhealthy, etc) are both created and survive.

Honest debate means facts (ie peer reviewed studies) are cited. Only cited was one study, conducted in the spring, mostly with people who were at greatest risk (more likely to die),  published originally in the summer, and (as of December) they had not even shared their data with peers.  Other studies contradicted that conclusion.

We should know something is honest because social media (ie where Trump went to constantly lie) is honest?
From The Economist:

It can take years for a single paper to get published in a well-regarded journal.  In that time, a paper might undergo several rounds of peer-review by academic volunteers, followed by corrections - and possibly rejections - before a new scientific result sees the light of day.  ...

To get around this, scientists can release a "preprint": a manuscript of a paper posted to a public server online before it has completed a formal review process.

Which means it yet says nothing sufficiently honest unless other independent preprints are discovering same.  That is not happening with this magic anti-viral.

We only have social media and Fox News as itf that was proof?

Propaganda outfits, masking as news services, constantly hype on the exception to target (and profit from)  emotional (and therefore extremist) disciples.  It is a religion - not honesty.  One would think extremists had learned their mistakes from so many bogus 'vaccines cause autism' lie.  Or the miracle 'over the counter' drugs that cure the common cold.  Of magic nutrition supplements in GNC, et al that do not even contain what is listed on its label.  

No.  Just like Saddam's WMDs and McCarthy's "communists in the State Department and Army", extremist automatically believe only what their emotions (ie penis) tells them to believe.  Facts and numbers be damned.

So easy to order an extremist what to believe.  As my father said, they are trying to make us tell the truth.  That takes all the fun out of it.

If that long, subjective, and laborious social media citation stated something relevant, then that was quoted.

Does not matter that some bogus miracle cures might fail.  What matters is whether THAT miracle cure works.  Why should I have to explain basic logic?

2/19/2022 2:03 pm  #315

Clodfobble wrote:

Debate in this country needs to be decentralized, which means leaving most people out of it.

Decentralized reasoning proved  vaccines were causing autism in children.  Honest facts are easily withheld in decentralized reasoning.  Then extremists need not be confronted contrary by reasoning and by facts with numbers.

Same technique also made Hitler a dictator.  How was it done?  Hitler said in his book.  Disparage the bourgeois and intelligentsia.  Then outside information will not contaiminate racist and extremist rhetoric.

If nicotine is a cure, then where are facts?  Where are peer reviewed studies?  Where are the always required numbers?  A perfect example of how GNC so routinely promotes shams for massive profits.  Why Trump reasoning so easily manipulated extremists.  And why so many now know the holocaust is a lie.

All dicussion remains only among a little, manipulated, uninformed, and coerced group.  Perfect example was demonstrated here (repeatedly) who said only Fox News is honest.  And all other information sources lie.  Which proved those in the Super Dome and Converntion Center were not without food and water for three days.

Something like 30% of 20 to 34 year olds do not even know what the holocaust was or actively deny it.  So many know it did not happen because debate is decentralized - in venues where claims are justified only by emotions.

Decentralized: Charlottesville proved that Nazis, White Supremacists, and KKK were both right and honest.  And that those who carry assault rifles best represent America.

Debate is not about ivermectin.  That is simply an example of why disinformation so easily works on extremists.  A massive shortage of facts and so many sources of disinformation are the topiic.  Combined with bogus logic that said "Some bogus miracle cures might fail.  Therefore anything that does not fail must be good."

I should not have to explain to adults why a not 'no' does not automatically mean a 'yes'.  The world is not based in binary logic.  A child (or and adult who knows without first learning facts) might have difficulty with that reality.  Adults should not.

Last edited by tw (2/19/2022 2:52 pm)

2/19/2022 7:58 pm  #316

Heheheheh!!![/littleyellowminionlaugh]

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

2/20/2022 11:06 am  #317

Clodfobble wrote:

The ivermectin debate is a perfect example of people digging harder into one belief when someone they don't like espouses a different belief.

There are also, for example, some mixed but potentially promising studies on both nicotine and ranitidine as COVID inhibitors. But no one screams that their doctor is a fraud when they aren't prescribed, and no one openly mocks people who believe those meds could help them. Nobody talks about them at all. But that's largely coincidence--you can bet your ass if Joe Rogan started recommending them, half the world would be up in arms about how ignorant they were; and if Fauci started recommending them, the other half would be howling about the pharmaceutical conspiracy. People would suddenly care very much about these drugs they knew nothing about the day before.

Tribal mindsets are destroying us--but counterintuitively, as far as I can see the most effective solution is not to maintain a moderate position, but rather to avoid discussion entirely. Debate in this country needs to be decentralized, which means leaving most people out of it.

I like this post a lot.  It speaks to me and is what I am seeing.  I need to think about the idea of avoiding discussion.  It's certainly how I have proceeded, but not because I've concluded it's the best path.  Just that I'm tired of it all.

2/20/2022 11:20 am  #318

Undertoad wrote:

tap tap tap... pause... tap tap

A fundamental  difference between a patriot and an extremist. Patriot learn facts.  Then need not post their emotions.  Or insults.

UT tells us that vaccines are more dangerous.  Because Fox News said so.  He is not the moderate that he was 30 years ago.  Back then, he did not say all other news services lie.  Today, he says everyone but Fox lies.

2/20/2022 7:59 pm  #319

glatt wrote:

Just that I'm tired of it all.

Exactly what Chancellor Heinrich Himmler and the moderates in Germany did.  And what do many in America did to therefore send 5,000 Amiercan servicemen to a useless death.  One learns from history.

Last edited by tw (2/20/2022 8:00 pm)

2/20/2022 8:00 pm  #320

Undertoad wrote:

The poor performance of the empowered during Covid was a wake-up call. This is the debate you would like to not have. The following positions have been the mainstream, promoted belief at different times during the last two years:

We have a successful program only obstructed by a dumb president who destroyed (intentionally) even what George Jr and Obama created.  And then obstructed solutions.  Obstructed also by extremists who worship Fox News and hearsay from social media – the decentralized sources of hearsay and wild speculation.

Only those who hate America, with a “Me, Me, Me” attitude, even   refused to be vaccinated so that others will get sick.  An uneducated and emotional person is, somehow, smarter than experts.  And demonstrates contempt for the Constitutional rights of all others.

Decentralized channels (ie social media) create lies so egregious that the least educated still believe ‘masks do not work’.

Medical professionals in an OR should not wear masks.  Since masks do nothing.  UT said so.  It must be true.
Why would anyone promote lies?  Routine when one says everyone else lies and only Fox News is honest.
We know that restrictions have saved lives.  Where restrictions were disregarded, more deaths occurred.   Even the Olympics proved restrictions work.  With only two people getting sick.

Only emotions (promoted by soundbites) says a herd mentality does not work.  Honest people, instead, learn from numbers by using their pre-frontal cortex.  Numbers, already posted, for Australia and Norway say UT drinks the Kool Aid.

One would think he learned from how Fox promoted lies about Saddam’s WMDs.  Instead he doubled down.  Still insisted those WMDs existed even after George Jr said otherwise.

Vaccines prevent illnesses in most who would otherwise be extremely sick or dead.  And reduces severity of illnesses in others.  That is also reality.  Vaccines work when one is not brainwashed.

Brainwashing says Ivermectin is a cure for Covid.  Demonstrates how many harm America by letting decentralized (irresponsible) sources and others (even Putin) brainwash them.

America’s greatest strength has always been in educated (thinking) citizens.  We require everyone to be educated.  To create as many patriotic Americans as possible.

No way to convince UT.  This is about how easily some are brainwashed.

2/20/2022 8:03 pm  #321

In this context, I think of centralizing factors as things like, "I need to know and care about every subject that remotely affects me," and "I need to assess my opinion on a thing against every other person I come across." It's often framed as a sign of personal liberty, but the truth is that it's impossible to maintain. It's like a top-down structure in a corporation--you're the CEO of you, and a good CEO understands that they can't micromanage, they have to delegate. They can't go onto the factory floor and verify every decision being made.

So we can decide who to trust, and therefore "hire" Joe Rogan at our company, or Fauci, or someone else who we think has better information than either of them, to give us the "executive summary" that we base our decisions on. People have always done that. What we haven't always done--what the internet has allowed, and what is now poisoning us--is not only the ability, but the implied obligation to "do our own research." Humans simply don't have the mental or emotional capacity to fully do our own research on even one major subject, let alone all of them. But we've convinced ourselves that as CEO, we have to. And now that our own research is ours, personally, it becomes a personal affront if anyone disagrees.

In an ideal world, Joe Rogan and Fauci may disagree, and I--as a CEO who knows I can't do everything--will just have to make a loose assessment of their track records to decide who I continue to trust, or not. But if I've "done my own research," even if it's only in my own mind--I have a sense that I need to have done my own research--then now Fauci is me, Rogan is me, and so are all the other employees at my personal factory. And suddenly I'm centralized, emotionally, on every decision being made, and I no longer have the ability to fire the guy I previously hired because he's not just an employee who screwed up too many times, he's someone who I feel like I personally vetted all along the way, so if he's wrong then I've been wrong, all along the way.

We're unsustainably invested. And the false moderate position--that is, hiring both Rogan and Fauci at the same time, and studying their every argument and figuring out who's right and who's wrong on any given point--is still, in my opinion, being unsustainably invested. Maybe I just have a lower threshold than the average person, and it's a weakness on my part. All I know is my life is markedly more pleasant, for me, when I acknowledge that 1.) I don't know enough about a subject to have an opinion, and 2.) that's a completely normal and okay thing.

2/20/2022 9:49 pm  #322

We know that Fauci is subject to peer review.  His reputation is based on making conclusions by first learning facts,  And that he spent his entire life learning facts long before making a conclusion.  He has no political agenda.  Says why by citing science.  Sometimes when it is politically incorrect.  Sometimes when it is only the best guess that science can come up with while more research is ongoing..

Rogan get popular by inventing / saying anything that appeals only to the emotional.  Play / entertains people in a manner similar to what Howard Stern would do.   But Stern was not targeting a particular minority of political extremists

Rogan has no peer review  Can make up anything he wants to say without any consequences.  His entire life was never about providing facts.  Hs life is to only make money / be popular by appealing / entertaining emotions.  That clearly is not credible.

A reporter in mainstream  (centralized) media  is required to provide, to his editor or anchorman, supporting facts that justify his report.  Cronkite was buntal do this.  So brutal that he went to Vietnam and said that we should not be there.  (One reason why Johnson decided to quite the Presidency.)   Peter Jennings so viscously enforced this standard that yelling arguments in the ABC Newsroom were said to  be legendary.    And since so many responsible (mainstream) media  also do  that, then peer review also  exists.

Therefore when mainstream media gets it wrong, it is like an airplane crash.  A rare ad major disaster.  When Fox lies, it gets reported just like another car crash.  Something that happens every day.  Misinformation was that routine.

Reporters in Fox News are told what they will report.  Chirrs Wallace was an  outlier.  He would even start saying direct to Trump's face, "That is not true".  Sometimes would say that multiple times.

Ailes would literally issue instructions that morning what  his reporters would report.  All part of the decentralized information sources that need not obtain facts and information from the large cadre of sources. Only invent what is convenient or popular to  benefit a political agenda.  No different than so many tweets and YouTube videos.

In business, the Rogan would \be quickly unemployeed in a responsible organization.  A good boss comes from where the  work gets done.  Then knows (from details - supporting facts and numbers) that Rogan is lying.  (For the same reason why a responsible reporter must justify his story.)   Why do so many companies, run by business school graduates, do badly - fail?  Why are  GM cars so bad?  Top managemenet typically did not drive cars.  Naiive (irresponsible) bosses cannot see the difference between a Rogan and a Fauci.  When it is obvious if one comes from where the work gets done.

In a centralized (responsible) organizatin, many contribute to the integrity of a product.  In a decentralized operation, Rogan can invent any fiction he wants.  (Ie the State  Department is full of communists.)  Nobody need confirm or approve what he says.  Those who automatically believe what they are \told - do not demand supporting facts with perspectivie - then automatically believe a lie.

What is the difference between the Daily News and New York Times.  Times articles are long with many supporting facts and numbers.  Daily News only reports a soundbite.  Soundbites (even if accurate) are also treated as if a lie.  Because they do not say why with numbers.

Another example.

Last edited by tw (2/20/2022 10:07 pm)

2/21/2022 11:25 am  #323

UT - you have lied so much about this Covid thing that nothing you post is credible.

Move on to other topics where you still have credibility.

Last edited by tw (2/21/2022 11:26 am)

2/21/2022 12:15 pm  #324

Undertoad wrote:

I must say CF this is a complete 180 from a previous CF who developed a theory on vaccination contradictory to medical science and did her own research for decades

though i generally disagreed with that CF's conclusions, I would never prevent her from doing it, and shut myself up when she found objections to be troubling

plz CF square your thoughts, how did you come to this new figuring, it is interesting

I still believe what I believe. I've just separated myself from the idea that it's worth it (or perhaps even possible) to convince anyone. I can't and won't debate it. I've actually noted in the last year--to myself and with amusement--that you and I have at least to a certain degree switched positions on this. I don't think the old UT would have questioned the CDC nearly as much as the new UT does. And that's kind of my point: we argued, and nobody changed their minds, and at least one of us got so emotionally involved that it was detrimental to their well-being. And yet here we both are years later, with at least partially changed opinions, thanks to no direct effort on either's part.

It's okay to have a topic that you have delved deep into, and know a ton about. One of the functions of decentralized expertise is that we do have to have the expertise somewhere. Weirdly, I always think of classicman's textbook-level knowledge of mushrooms when I think about having a stable of people I trust on various topics: I don't have to know about mushrooms, because I know a guy I can always ask if it becomes relevant. And if mushroom knowledge suddenly became critical, I wouldn't do the research. I'd just ask classic what he thought. For what it's worth, your track record on COVID stuff seems pretty solid to me, and if I had to pick someone to ask, you'd be on the list. The big distinction is whether there's a need to ask--neither I nor anyone in my family has COVID, and when we did, it wasn't severe. So I have no need to discuss it, one way or the other, and I certainly have no need to get emotionally invested in what other people think about it.

So, yes, once upon a time I did my own research and became an expert on something, largely because I didn't have a choice--the track record of the experts available to me was unsatisfactory. I got unsustainably invested in trying to convince others for awhile, but eventually figured out it was unhealthy for me. I still know the facts I know, and will share them with folks who ask in a nonconfrontational way. Some do, and I've become "the mushroom guy" to a significant number of people. But I've also learned that most people are going to do what they were going to do anyway, even after that information has been presented. For the most part, for me, there's no point in discussing it.

2/21/2022 1:14 pm  #325

most people are going to do what they were going to do anyway

Board footera