cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/21/2022 1:55 pm  #326

Re: The Covid

Good discussion here, thank you. Thank you for taking the time to type it out. I agree that the feeling you have to convince people of things is something that it's healthy to free yourself from. Yet here we are, in the context of a communication platform that doesn't aggressively try to segment people into opposing groups, and then hammer their amygdala with feel-bad messages, and because we see a variety of viewpoints from people we regard as peers, even when we don't agree with them--even when their posts make us feel uncomfortable and strike an argumentative nerve--we slowly morph over time into someone who has absorbed some part of their message that we couldn't reason away. The insufferable other-ness is taken with a grain of respect, the reflexive pigeon-holing of a "bad" opinion is tempered by the feeling that you can't dismiss things outright, not until you've mulled over why someone you otherwise have viewed to be intelligent and level-headed would say that "wrong" thing, or be that "bad" kind of person. It's still possible to do this, but in the age of dystopia, we're fighting upstream, because the divisiveness is very intentional and it's more sophisticated than it's ever been. I've unplugged from the bad place, but not before it did some real damage. I don't know what the solution to this is, considering that "have all the information in the world at your fingertips" is a very temtping proposition.

I do still deeply believe that the reason everything is turned up to 11 has some legitimate basis--namely that the stakes are literally higher than they've ever been. The problem is-- everyone feels that way. We just don't identify the same root causes--or tilt at the same windmills. It seems obvious--to me-- that if you pick any point in history, the group causing the issues are whoever has developed the ability to generate an effective money>power>money feedback loop, with no consequences if people are harmed. There is a clear means, motive, and opportunity. It will never make sense to me that the enemy is some nerd bureaucrat. The breakdown of that theory, to me, is motive. It's a "collect underpants  >  ???  >  money" situation, I can't suspend my disbelief hard enough to cover that gap.

Last edited by Flint (2/21/2022 2:01 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

2/21/2022 3:01 pm  #327

so... you're saying tw is Fauci, and Bob Odenkirk is the NRA .?

2/22/2022 12:02 pm  #328

Undertoad wrote:

you should also restrict yourself to your area of knowledge, which is where to find a guy to suck your dick for ten bucks

UT demonstrates how extremist he has become since he only listens to and automatically only believes Fox New, et al.   UT over 20 years ago did not use insults to prove something.  Only Trump style extremists prove their manliness by posting cheapshots.   Rather than prove a grasp by citing facts and numbers.

One preprinted paper says vaccines don't work.  So that is the only honest fact?

What has done so much harm to honesty, science, and a response to Covid?  The extremist "Me, Me,Me" attitude that is empowered by cheapshots and hate.  Joe Rogan does what Limbaugh, Hannity, and Trump also do.  Hype disparaging soundbites to obfuscate facts.  Appeal only to an extremist's emotions.   UT's need to post so many cheapshots and outright insults demonstrate  increasing extremism. He is no longer anywhere near moderate - logical and cerebral.

Citing vaccines and masks do not work comes from extremist liars - such as Trump.  Trump said it.  It must be true.  The word credibility also applies there.

UT said he is smarter than the generals.  Getting harder is to see a difference between these extremists.

2/22/2022 12:54 pm  #329

Some Cellar Dwellers certainly know how to add class to the enterprise.

2/22/2022 1:42 pm  #330

Undertoad wrote:

Fauci himself is the second highest paid federal employee

Bezos makes Fauci's salary every three minutes.

2/22/2022 4:37 pm  #331

And just how do you know that?

I Love my country, I fear the government.

2/23/2022 8:04 am  #332

Other than the tw distractions, I'm enjoying this turn in the conversation, and wish I saw it a couple days ago.

Agree wholeheartedly that joining political tribes is the new religion.  Humans are hardwired for religion and in its absence are seeking it out in other places.

2/23/2022 10:18 am  #333

glatt wrote:

Humans are hardwired for religion and in its absence are seeking it out in other places.

The emotional brain wants religion or something equivalent.  Pre-humans survived because that part of a brain meant they were united is a more survivable culture.  "I am told by the collective what to believe. So it must be true."

Religion, et al does this by ordering us to have faith.  IOW one need not know why.  We will order you what to believe.  If you don't, then you don't have faith.  Are therefore inferior.

Mankind advanced when reasoning (from a prefrontal cortex) replaced faith.  But some still have not advanced that far.  Will still automatically believe what their faith has ordered to believe.  Then religion and other tribal behaviors can become destructive.  Also explains why dictators so easily manipulate so many (ie Saddam's WMD and Gestapo torture in Guantanamo, Iraq, and other secret torture chambers in other nations).

Too many people are still manipulated only by an emotional brain.  6 Jan and Charlottesville are perfect examples of such destructive behavior.  That also justified tribal warfare rather than logical discussion.  Too many are still manipulated by a brain that automatically believes any myth or lie. It does not ask why nor first learn appropriate underlying realities.

2/23/2022 12:46 pm  #334

No human being can evolve beyond being dominated by an emotional brain. There isn't just a kernel of emotion at the root of us, overlaid with a directing influence of conscious reasoning-- the emotional brain is our operating system. Believing that we can force our logical thoughts into a dominant position is a very dangerous hubris. We are an organic being, we must strive to develop awareness of our whole self, or else the undesirable traits we deny and attempt to suppress can be allowed to rule over our actions, unchecked.

Last edited by Flint (2/23/2022 12:48 pm)

2/23/2022 2:11 pm  #335

Truth.   And nice job working "hubris" in there.

But we all know people who think they have no emotions. Any one of them, but certainly no one specific, in particular, who might be reading that post, will be all *does not compute.*

2/23/2022 2:35 pm  #336

It's easy to fall into the "brain as a computer" belief system-- especially for people like myself who are on the neurodivergent spectrum and have struggled many times in life with the inability to process emotional nuances as adeptly as a neurotypical person, and simultaneously are being praised and rewarded for feats of raw cognitive prowess. I view myself as a person who "thinks in flowcharts" and has to place new information into a "grid" to process it. It sure seems like I'm a computer, and it's an empowering self-identity to embrace my strengths via that metaphor. But it's a really flawed and unsustainable model that eventually breaks down like that Vulcan ambassador on Star Trek tNG who got emotional dementia and had to mind meld with Picard just to keep his sh!t together.

2/24/2022 5:48 pm  #337

Flint wrote:

Believing that we can force our logical thoughts into a dominant position is a very dangerous hubris.

An adult is in control of his emotions.  Otherwise he is the child who becomes even more emotional (and entitled) when he has a gun.

Emotion is a tool - when used properly.  I found it exceedingly useful in wrestling.  If properly motivated by the logical brain, then one can accomplish unusual feats.  I would watch this even in football games.  Where only team lost almost every game.  And the other was nearly undefeated.  Every game went down to the very last plays.  But only when the logical brains used emotions when necessary.

What happens to the player who is only emotional?  He gets kicked out of the game for fighting.  The logical brain must tell emotions when and when not to act.

Science documents this.

An adult is always in control of his emotions.  Otherwise subject to legal remedies for being irresponsible.  Your fear is never justification.  An adult who is a child will even need a gun to prove his manliness.  Because he is a child; his emotions are not being controlled.

These concepts are quite difficult for adults, who are still children, to grasp.

2/24/2022 6:03 pm  #338

It's a good goal, but it's a life-long goal that one never achieves to a 100% level.

Wherever there is a disparity between believing in 100% mastery of a skill, and the actual/possible level obtained, there is an unobserved gap that errors can pass through undetected.

3/15/2022 3:47 pm  #339

Flint wrote:

Wherever there is a disparity between believing in 100% mastery of a skill, and the actual/possible level obtained, there is an unobserved gap that errors can pass through undetected.

There is always a first for everything, grasshopper.

3/15/2022 4:03 pm  #340

tw wrote:

Flint wrote:

There is always a first for everything, grasshopper.

This is a genuinely funny response.

3/26/2022 11:22 am  #341

Science did a little survey of what I'd call right wing cancel culture.

https://www.science.org/content/article/overwhelmed-hate-covid-19-scientists-face-avalanche-abuse-survey-shows?src=tw

The findings broadly align with other indications that harassment is hitting science and related fields. The Geneva-based nonprofit Insecurity Insight reports 517 instances of physical violence related to COVID-19, including 10 health workers killed, 24 kidnapped, and 89 injured. A study published in the American Journal of Public Health this month found harassment experiences at 57% of 583 U.S. local health departments and 80 departures by officials who reported harassment.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/31/2022 12:14 pm  #342

Assuming both sides are a$$holes, with one side you get "cancelled" on social media, with the other side you end up "killed, kidnapped, injured" (or face the constant threat of being killed, kidnapped, or injured)* . . . yep this is exactly the same

. . .

*if this isn't terrorism, why isn't this terrorism

3/31/2022 1:14 pm  #343

but that doesn't fit my narrative

4/01/2022 7:37 am  #344

I apologize for spreading disinformation.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/01/2022 8:16 pm  #345

griff wrote:

I apologize for spreading disinformation.

you prolly just misunderestimated the impactfulness of your input.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

4/02/2022 6:59 am  #346

Regardless, when we post bullshit we should own it.

4/02/2022 4:02 pm  #347

Mistakes are one thing.

But when I--I mean we--when we speak out of our ass is when we should make an effort to admit it.

Not sure I've witnessed Griff speak out of his ass.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

4/12/2022 9:51 pm  #348

Yeah, when we had our first positive test in the house we didn't even bother trying to quarantine from each other. We just assumed we were all thoroughly exposed already. Hope J feels better soon.

5/16/2022 8:17 pm  #349

A million dead but a lot of them were old and eating away my social Security and Medicare funds.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

8/05/2022 11:50 am  #350

That's interesting.  I wonder about the reliability of any of this data.  Clearly, early on in the first months, the Covid rates were somewhat unreliable because test kits in hospitals were in short supply.  Then the data got good once we had kits. Now I wonder about Covid rate reliability because people are testing at home and not always sharing their results.  I also wonder about mask usage rates.  How are they getting that number?  Self reported? If I were asked, I would say that I'm good about wearing a mask because I wear them on Metro and in the grocery store.  But I don't always wear them out in public.  I've been going to restaurants more and you don't wear them then,  I imagine Japan is the same. I imagine they mostly wear masks, but consider themselves mask wearers.   It only takes a moment being mask free, and you can get infected and that would explain the rise in 2022.  Plus I'm hearing the new variant spreads outside readily. And that's when even mask wearers take them off.

Board footera